Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
Certainly not high profile, but has played AFL and can take a hanger. Played with Adelaide and up in Cairns last year kicking 80 odd goals. Has moved to hobart, just got a job with a local radio station! Am i close????

he has spoke to Lauderdale, Clarence, North Hobart and Glenorchy and Scott Wade. So it's no secret.
On the money. Didn't know it was that common knowledge. Got told by my mate who plays/works at Clarence, told me it was still pretty hush hush but obviously a few more people were aware about this one.

I'm not asking who you think will be better than him now. When he left he was the best player in the state that year. I have no reason to suspect that he's any worse a footballer than when he left. The only player that would be close to Jez when he left would be Thurley or Stephens.
I wasn't saying that either, I was basing it on watching games of my side that year and who stood out, in my opinion only, as who were better players than him, admittedly I am using my memory and I am an old bloke these days so it may not be great as some of these guys did miss games through inj however at their best were and still are better footballers. Just because you are recruited or drafted does not neccesarily mean you are better, I think my point was he was not the best player in the league that year and he played with a well structured team whom maximised his assets greatly, had he played with my team he most likely wouldn't have been a standout? or anywhere near as much

I wasn't saying that either, I was basing it on watching games of my side that year and who stood out, in my opinion only, as who were better players than him, admittedly I am using my memory and I am an old bloke these days so it may not be great as some of these guys did miss games through inj however at their best were and still are better footballers. Just because you are recruited or drafted does not neccesarily mean you are better, I think my point was he was not the best player in the league that year and he played with a well structured team whom maximised his assets greatly, had he played with my team he most likely wouldn't have been a standout? or anywhere near as much
I watched basically every game Clarence played that year and he was outstanding. No doubt he was made to look better by the quality of players around him. That doesn't take away from the fact that he was the best player in a premiership winning team. Played better than Thurley all year, who is widely regarded alongside Laycock as the best player in the state at present. Of course this is only my opinion but I'd be laughing if you didn't have him in the best 2-3 players in the competition by the stage he got drafted. And if you don't think a player of that quality can add significantly to an already strong Clarence side then you have got rocks in your head.

All this Clarence talk is making me feel ill, whats the news at Glenorchy Lauderdale and North Hobart???

Changing the subject, news from North Hobart FC. Player & coach info night this Wednesday 7 November @ 6.30pm at the oval - new and current players, Colts, Seniors and all coming along, expect good turn out from all reports. Then pre-season kicks off next Monday 12 November 5.30pm at Ogilvie High School. See ya there.

I watched basically every game Clarence played that year and he was outstanding. No doubt he was made to look better by the quality of players around him. That doesn't take away from the fact that he was the best player in a premiership winning team. Played better than Thurley all year, who is widely regarded alongside Laycock as the best player in the state at present. Of course this is only my opinion but I'd be laughing if you didn't have him in the best 2-3 players in the competition by the stage he got drafted. And if you don't think a player of that quality can add significantly to an already strong Clarence side then you have got rocks in your head.

I completely disagree here. Many were surprised by his drafting for starters. He is an outstanding player and will probably help Clarence win the flag next year too, but to say he was in the best two or three players that year is outrageous!

Let's recap: Puiselli was probably my pick, Thurley, Plapp and stephens were next. Then you had Brennan Savage (was injured a bit), Zane Murphy and Jaye Bowden -who were and are better players( the later probably deserved a look in AFL before Webberly) and even these guys- Bristow, Crawford Crouch, Hazlewood and O'Keefe were better...

Webberly never got tagged, he never manned up and like Bristow; couldn't kick. The fact he was in a team that played the unaccountable and free flowing, attacking brand of footy, as well as the fact Clarence were on Television every bloody weekend; helped out tremendously.

You need lots of talent, obviously to get drafted but you also need luck. Webberly, in summary, had both that year.

Hopefully Ive started some sort of half decent discussion here...

I completely disagree here.

Honestly, I hope not!!
I've had about enough of 'Webberley the great' & his return to Clarence. Sure Its nice of AFL Tas to recruit players for Clarence:rolleyes: .
But Now maybe they can help some other clubs apart from the usual ones he either played with, or drinks at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I completely disagree here. Many were surprised by his drafting for starters. He is an outstanding player and will probably help Clarence win the flag next year too, but to say he was in the best two or three players that year is outrageous!

Let's recap: Puiselli was probably my pick, Thurley, Plapp and stephens were next. Then you had Brennan Savage (was injured a bit), Zane Murphy and Jaye Bowden -who were and are better players( the later probably deserved a look in AFL before Webberly) and even these guys- Bristow, Crawford Crouch, Hazlewood and O'Keefe were better...

Webberly never got tagged, he never manned up and like Bristow; couldn't kick. The fact he was in a team that played the unaccountable and free flowing, attacking brand of footy, as well as the fact Clarence were on Television every bloody weekend; helped out tremendously.

You need lots of talent, obviously to get drafted but you also need luck. Webberly, in summary, had both that year.

Puiselli I'd have right up there, and Thurley. But apart from that it seems you've just thrown in the big names of the competition, none of those players were averaging 40+ touches like Jez was basically all year, and I realise it's not always about posessions but that's the sort of influence he had. Probably another one was Geappen, but he didn't step it up til the year after really. Jaye had his best year in the TSL this year, and it still wasn't as good as Jez's when he got drafted, so how you can say he was better than Jez at that stage is beyond me really. Zane Murphy is severely overrated.

The thing that makes Jez the better player than most if not all of these guys is the fact that he basically won the GF off his own boot. After all this is a matter of opinion and you're entitled to yours, however I really can't agree with those players you mentioned being better than Jez, most of them are mentioned by reputation only. Also the fact you think Thurley was better than Jez that year when most of Clarence knew Jez had a better year points out that might not seen that much of Clarence play.

Puiselli I'd have right up there, and Thurley. But apart from that it seems you've just thrown in the big names of the competition, none of those players were averaging 40+ touches like Jez was basically all year, and I realise it's not always about posessions but that's the sort of influence he had. Probably another one was Geappen, but he didn't step it up til the year after really. Jaye had his best year in the TSL this year, and it still wasn't as good as Jez's when he got drafted, so how you can say he was better than Jez at that stage is beyond me really. Zane Murphy is severely overrated.

The thing that makes Jez the better player than most if not all of these guys is the fact that he basically won the GF off his own boot. After all this is a matter of opinion and you're entitled to yours, however I really can't agree with those players you mentioned being better than Jez, most of them are mentioned by reputation only. Also the fact you think Thurley was better than Jez that year when most of Clarence knew Jez had a better year points out that might not seen that much of Clarence play.

you are clearly a family member of Webberley, a close friend, or someone who is in love with the bloke.

He can play footy, no one is doubting that. but your insistance on pumping him up is severly overestimating his ability. and to say he won the GF off his own boot is a joke. he kicked a long bomb at the end that sealed the game. Geappen won the BOG medal deservedly, Josh Green was more influential, Jackson O'Brien was just behind Geappen and even McVilley as he shut out Bowden from the match.

pull your head in.

you are clearly a family member of Webberley, a close friend, or someone who is in love with the bloke.

He can play footy, no one is doubting that. but your insistance on pumping him up is severly overestimating his ability. and to say he won the GF off his own boot is a joke. he kicked a long bomb at the end that sealed the game. Geappen won the BOG medal deservedly, Josh Green was more influential, Jackson O'Brien was just behind Geappen and even McVilley as he shut out Bowden from the match.

pull your head in.
I'm none of the above, just happen to know a lot more about footy than you, evidently.

Anyway I'm tired of defending my opinion, what's happening with the other southern clubs just out of interest? What's the North Hobart/Hobart situation like?

Yoe seem to be close to Webberly, is it true the package Hobart put together for him was worth 80k?
Wouldn't have a clue mate. My brother and a few of my mates play there that's about as far as I go. Sincerely doubt it would be that much. I think he might have even been offered more in the SANFL to what he's going to get down here.

keep telling yourself that. easy to be an armchair expert focused on one player.

agreed...

Bowden played for a team this year that had five really decent players- He was continually tagged and polled 27 votes!

His year was outstanding in'09 and way way better than Webberly in comparison this year to '09.

Half of the players did not have any reputation until after that year- noone knew who Bristow was until he won the medal

O'keefe and plapp played really well in state gaem (plapp a great plaeyr already- obviously)

Zane Murphy is an excellent player but a poor poor attitude...

Anywho, Webberly will win Clarence a flag next year. No doubting that...

But please be mindful of outlandish comments

Having Savage fit wouldn't hurt either? If you don't think Clarence will be one of the premiership favourites you're clueless.

Will it make any difference to the roos GF chances now that Brennan Savage has gone to coach Launceston?
After the money spent to get Webberely, will Clarence have the $$$$ to sign Nick Gill? or will AFL Tas forces get him to Hobart?
Whats the playing future of Thurley after his knee injury?
Wiil the roos move to Kangaroo bay along side the cricket club?
Um, um, um, no I cant think of anything else to ask at this stage:p

Has S
Will it make any difference to the roos GF chances now that Brennan Savage has gone to coach Launceston?
After the money spent to get Webberely, will Clarence have the $$$$ to sign Nick Gill? or will AFL Tas forces get him to Hobart?
Whats the playing future of Thurley after his knee injury?
Wiil the roos move to Kangaroo bay along side the cricket club?
Um, um, um, no I cant think of anything else to ask at this stage:p
Has Savage been officially appointed as coach of the Blues. There was an article in the Examiner a couple of days ago saying Launceston won't be announcing their coaching panel until after the AFL draft next Thursday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back