Getting sick of seeing replays of Nicknat's ruckwork

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh no I get it.

But basketball also requires players to physically develop and prepare for some different attributes, thats why some comparisons are a bit unfair.

Sorry, that wasn't meant to be a dig at you. I have had many an argument with people who are just rabib 1 code fans that's all. :)

One advantage the NBA has is that most of the players come into the game at 21+ because of college. I reckon that AFL should have a national under 20's comp so the same thing happens at AFL level. It's a shame to see no hope under 20's playing at afl just because they are a "kid" and the coach has a "youth policy".

Sorry, that wasn't meant to be a dig at you. I have had many an argument with people who are just rabib 1 code fans that's all. :)

One advantage the NBA has is that most of the players come into the game at 21+ because of college. I reckon that AFL should have a national under 20's comp so the same thing happens at AFL level. It's a shame to see no hope under 20's playing at afl just because they are a "kid" and the coach has a "youth policy".
Yeah this may happen naturally.

One big issue though is the disparity in population, but if we eventually develop a national "reserves" comp, with some affiliate teams we might see something superficially similar (outside of the college aspect).

Well we can sort of if we have the right individuals but..... we will have to reduce the level of physical intensity.

As the speed of the game has increased, we are already seeing an increase in dangerous collisions, also I wouldn't be suprised if we see an increase in injuries.

There are also differences in requirements for fitness, the size of grounds and surface and you cannot completely annul their effects on football .

I think AFL will find a natural middle ground where we have players like Naitanui who are that athletically dominant, but also still maintain the harder and more dour types.

Midfielders can be super fit and fast sure, but what about forwards. Take Franklin for instance. I would love to see him become like an Afl version of say... Dwight Howard (Using an Nba reference because you seem to understand both) Bulk up but maintain fitnesss. Franklin shouldn't have to run 15 kms every night, but he shoudl be fit enough to run to each contest, but big enough to compete with anyone. With his natural size and talent, he should be able to do this. For some reason the top echelon of AFL players seem to lack the drive to truly become the best they can be.. (wow, what a cliche statement.. but still.. it stands right?)

Hahahaha I'm not sure about that.
I honestly think the demands on physical endurance and the contested nature of football place a limit on how similar the two games or types of player can become.

Probably.
I guess I base my opintion partly on my my ex team mate. He was the best player on my old basketball team and was was also a gun FF for a local footy team, mainly because he was HUGE and could run all day. Of course local footy and local BBall isn't really a good point for comparison I guess.

Probably.
I guess I base my opintion partly on my my ex team mate. He was the best player on my old basketball team and was was also a gun FF for a local footy team, mainly because he was HUGE and could run all day. Of course local footy and local BBall isn't really a good point for comparison I guess.
Hahahaha true.

I mean I sort of agree with you, I just think that ultimately that contested aspect forces a style of play which means that AFL players will always require a slightly different skillset.

You can't stop and prop, have to travel longer distances to get from contest to contest, it requires a greater degree of across the board output and players have to be far more mindful of contact.

But as the game changes, so does the focus on certain areas of development, so as you have said we have a lot of potential or room for development in regards to athletic ability of our big players.

I'll also add that I think NicNat would be quicker than most blokes around the 201cm height in the NBA. I've probabaly been chewing to many mushies but for a bloke who is almost 6'7, he's got a phenomenal leap, he's extremely quick, and his evasive skills are unbelievable for such a big bloke.
Lol I'm not a horses hoof btw.

Erm why are we comparing NN to NBA players? What in god's name does that have to do with anything?? Tiger Woods is amazing at golf, I wonder how he would go opening for Australia in the Ashes. Or what about Danny Green, he's a good boxer, lets get him on a football pitch and see if he goes alright with Rooney, Torres and Messi.

It's freaking ridiculous. Why is anyone comparing NN to players from a different sport and what does that have to do with his ability to play his sport. It's just pointless drivel.

He played very well tonight, he will win the Rising Star award fairly easily you would think.

He did some excellent things tonight, a few WOW moments! That said though, by halftime I was a bit over hearing 'Naitinui!...' every couple of seconds. The way Harley and Cometti were going you'd be thinking he was the only one on the field.

Given how boring the second half was he might as well have been as the few moments he did stuff were the only bits of excitement.

Erm why are we comparing NN to NBA players? What in god's name does that have to do with anything?? Tiger Woods is amazing at golf, I wonder how he would go opening for Australia in the Ashes. Or what about Danny Green, he's a good boxer, lets get him on a football pitch and see if he goes alright with Rooney, Torres and Messi.

It's freaking ridiculous. Why is anyone comparing NN to players from a different sport and what does that have to do with his ability to play his sport. It's just pointless drivel.

He played very well tonight, he will win the Rising Star award fairly easily you would think.

Cos we can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a 15 year Dockers member I love nothing more than rubbishing NicNat but I was at the game tonight and he was soley responsible for blowing it apart in the second quarter. He was breaking tackles, dominating the ruck, and running hard off the ball which led to the Eagles dominance.

I still don't think the 2010 Eagles are even close to the 2010 Dockers but that young fella is starting to prove that gap will be closing soon. Respect where respect is due and he earnt it tonight.

What is stop afl players from doing this though? Seriously some of the NBA players are huge yet seriously fit. Why can't AFL players but bigger. I can see NicNat being the first of many players who are massive units who can run like the wind, and I think the game would be better for it.

You raise a serious point.

They all run the length of the field dont they.
Both have 4 qtrs - one is twice as long though.
Not the ground size - how do they compare??

AFL players will get bigger but the endurance demands are vastly different. The law of nature will prevail.

Only saw highlights of the game where he looked very good. Looking at it this morning he had 13 possessions! I'd hate to think they are pumping this kid up to early on. Against NM last week he was the least effective of the 4 rucks playing the game and was highlighted made to look like he was the best player on the ground at times. He certainly has the physical attributes to turn into the dominant ruckman in the competition and I think in time he will. I can handle watching his snippets over again if its no more than any other player, as far as ruckmen go at the moment he isn't in the top echelon yet but you would think by the way the commentary team go on he is the messiah. I would love to see replay after replay of Sandilands tapwork if we were serious about showing the best in the caper.......

Only saw highlights of the game where he looked very good. Looking at it this morning he had 13 possessions! I'd hate to think they are pumping this kid up to early on. Against NM last week he was the least effective of the 4 rucks playing the game and was highlighted made to look like he was the best player on the ground at times. He certainly has the physical attributes to turn into the dominant ruckman in the competition and I think in time he will. I can handle watching his snippets over again if its no more than any other player, as far as ruckmen go at the moment he isn't in the top echelon yet but you would think by the way the commentary team go on he is the messiah. I would love to see replay after replay of Sandilands tapwork if we were serious about showing the best in the caper.......

Exactly. He is good, but he's nowhere near as good as people make him out to be. I'm really not sure why this is? Perhaps because he is black, or perhaps because he is Fijian? Yes he is new to the game, but he's not that new. I think it's all part of the PC bandwagon that is being pushed by the AFL. 'Look at us - we have black players and support women's rights and gays!'

First time I have had a real look at him last night.

Gee he is good. Can understand where all the excitement is coming from. Probably the best prospect I have seen since Judd first started.

Could be anything.

Exactly. He is good, but he's nowhere near as good as people make him out to be. I'm really not sure why this is? Perhaps because he is black, or perhaps because he is Fijian? Yes he is new to the game, but he's not that new. I think it's all part of the PC bandwagon that is being pushed by the AFL. 'Look at us - we have black players and support women's rights and gays!'

Garbage.

If you can't see what a freak this bloke is then you either don't know much about footy or.........

........or you don't want to acknowledge how good he is. And that would be for obvious reasons.

After all, you raised the black issue, didn't you.

Garbage.

If you can't see what a freak this bloke is then you either don't know much about footy or.........

........or you don't want to acknowledge how good he is. And that would be for obvious reasons.

After all, you raised the black issue, didn't you.

He has a high level of natural ability, and will be a great player, but he is nowhere near as good as he is being pumped up to be. I know it's not PC to accuse someone of acting a particular way for want of appearing to be PC, but if you can't see the race card in this, you're blind.

NN has VASTLY improved from last season

the hype may be excessive, but not many players can do what he did in the first 10 seconds last night... let alone a 13 gamer

He has a high level of natural ability, and will be a great player, but he is nowhere near as good as he is being pumped up to be. I know it's not PC to accuse someone of acting a particular way for want of appearing to be PC, but if you can't see the race card in this, you're blind.
By the sounds of it your the blind racist.
how bout you show me a player in his 13th game roving his own ruckwork and then sprinting away from the midfielders.
he's a freak so you are either just jealous or as i said just a racist..

By the way i remember the tommahawk being pumped up and we all know how that one turned out:eek:

By the way i remember the tommahawk being pumped up and we all know how that one turned out:eek:

LOL. Well what does that possibly mean about Nic Nat then?... :eek:

Buddy was also being pumped up as the possible greatest player of all time. Seriously it's just so tedious you don't want to have to hear about hyped players every 30 seconds on a telecast.

LOL. Well what does that possibly mean about Nic Nat then?... :eek:

Buddy was also being pumped up as the possible greatest player of all time. Seriously it's just so tedious you don't want to have to hear about hyped players every 30 seconds on a telecast.
Yes i agree with not wanting to hear the jizz fly from the commentators everytime he does something, i dont need to be told i already know he is gunna be gun..

The love fest for Nicnat is way over the top. The kid shows a ton of potential, but lets face facts, 3 other kids have already beaten him for Rising Star noms and 13 disposals, 5 marks and a goal probably isn't going to get him nominated this week.

I would be looking for a direct connection between sponsors and the networks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back