Analysis Contested possession stat vs Easy Loose Ball Get

Remove this Banner Ad

So I’m in the car today listening to the Triple M radio pre game drivel fest before the North v Ess match.

The conversation turned to what constitutes a valid “ contested” possession stat compared to a loose ground ball gather with no pressure around the player

I can’t remember which imbecile was arguing with the others, but he was absolutely adamant that any player who gathers a loose ball in space should be awarded the stat of “ contested possession”

I think it was Nathan Brown who was completely perplexed by this stupid statement and argued fiercely that this guy was utterly insane for saying such ridiculous nonsense.

Stevie J was also bewildered by this commentators opinion.

But do others think the same?

Should we award Nick Daicos and other seagulls a contested possession stat every time they swoop on a loose ball and pick it up?

I think not.

In Nathan Browns mind it makes sense given the ball sitting on the ground will be won by either team depending on whom arrives first, in that sense the ball is in "contest" i.e not with either side. I dare say, he just doesn't understand that the contested stat refers to a situation where you win the ball while engaged in contest with other players in close proximity. You're both vying for it, or actively fighting for it on the ground. Pretty bewildering given he played he'd be trying to redefine what doesn't need to be redefined.

Nobody or no state keeping site, metric, record will ever see it Browns way.

In Nathan Browns mind it makes sense given the ball sitting on the ground will be won by either team depending on whom arrives first, in that sense the ball is in "contest" i.e not with either side. I dare say, he just doesn't understand that the contested stat refers to a situation where you win the ball while engaged in contest with other players in close proximity. You're both vying for it, or actively fighting for it on the ground. Pretty bewildering given he played he'd be trying to redefine what doesn't need to be redefined.

Nobody or no state keeping site, metric, record will ever see it Browns way.
The bloke saying said that even if a player is out on his own and a ball is rolling away far from others, if that player closest and chasing the ball picks it up…then that constitutes a contested ball stat.

Brown was saying along the lines of “ ..well you might as well call every mark or handpass that’s taken out wide away from anyone else as a contested stat”

The bloke arguing ( JAyZ ? ) was completely wrong on his viewpoint.

Just makes me wonder how many other nitwits think the same.

lmao no way, those outside players already get enough contested possessions from being on the screen at the same time as an opponent to the point that Pies fans think Daicos is a contested beast
Exactly. A contested possession is two blokes together going at the ground ball or a bouncing loose ball and one of them wins it to either handpass or kick it.

Also a player who wins possession in a pack and extracts the ball out to a teammate by hand or foot.

I would’ve thought this was basic knowledge by all and sundry.

But not according to this idiot on Triple M.

lmao no way, those outside players already get enough contested possessions from being on the screen at the same time as an opponent to the point that Pies fans think Daicos is a contested beast
Haha people still going with the Daicos doesnt win hard ball, Maybe watch some footy clown?

Everyone with half a brain knows what a true 'contested possession' is. The seagulls of the league can record as many loose ball gets as they want, it won't change fans perceptions of them as being soft outsiders.

So I’m in the car today listening to the Triple M radio pre game drivel fest before the North v Ess match.

The conversation turned to what constitutes a valid “ contested” possession stat compared to a loose ground ball gather with no pressure around the player

I can’t remember which imbecile was arguing with the others, but he was absolutely adamant that any player who gathers a loose ball in space should be awarded the stat of “ contested possession”

I think it was Nathan Brown who was completely perplexed by this stupid statement and argued fiercely that this guy was utterly insane for saying such ridiculous nonsense.

Should we award Nick Daicos and other seagulls a contested possession stat every time they swoop on a loose ball and pick it up?

I think not.

But then Sam Walsh would never register a contested possession

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone with half a brain knows what a true 'contested possession' is. The seagulls of the league can record as many loose ball gets as they want, it won't change fans perceptions of them as being soft outsiders.
Couldn't agree more, why should Daics get a "contested possession" when no one can get near him

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Couldn't agree more, why should Daics get a "contested possession" when no one can get near him

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Daicos will always be a seagull until he wins a hard ball against one of the best ball winners of the generation with 5 minutes to go in a grand final with a flag on the line, then follow up at half-forward with a game-swinging goal assist.

Since he will never achieve this, he will always be a seagull

I think not.
Harsh on Merrett there.

I think not.

I do remember that before Phil Walsh passed he emphasised that he was more concerned with the combination of CP and ground ball gets then pure contested possessions.

I think his theory was that if a player out works his opponents and is able to get to a loose ball without needing to win it in a contest then they have achieved the same result.

It’s not a perfect stat but I do get where the commentator is going with that idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back