News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
no mention of Kenners amongst the backs? He’s only been there since the start.
Starting position left right out?

Yeah, that's odd, and a bit insulting. Should be right up there as an option, and certainly no worse than Bunts, who was knocked back to the rookie list.

Interestingly, no mention of Lachie Whitfield there, despite him being mentioned in some other places as being in the defenders' group this year.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
State of play: Role players Jackson Hately and Jye Caldwell have found new homes but there is a huge amount of upside possible from the midfield group in 2021, with much of the group below their best last season. A midfield quartet of Coniglio, Kelly, Hopper and Taranto is up there with the best in the competition. Add in a maturing Tom Green, the experience of Callan Ward and Matt de Boer and the outside run and ball use of Lachie Whitfield and things are looking bright for the GIANTS.

More of the same please: It’s hard to go past Lachie Whitfield after he delivered once again in 2020. The toughest decision facing Leon Cameron and his coaching staff is; where does Whitfield play? He played the early parts of his career on the wing, by necessity went to half back and became an All Australian and has also started at half forward at times. With the departure of Zac Williams, more focus is likely to come on to Whitfield, who’s already renowned as one of the best playmakers in the competition.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

This was pretty horrific for Sam - I suspect that very few of us really understand the extent to which his body and his health overall was compromised. I earnestly hope that he is back to pre-illness health, strength & conditioning because we certainly missed him in 2020 (but also because you don't want to see any human's health compromised as his was). I look forward to seeing Sam back playing AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Daily Telegraph J. Halloran 23.3.19

Halloran, a sports journalist & self-described NRL fan, mum of jnr kids playing AF & RL in Sydney, & long time Sydney resident, states

"..there is a real disconnect between the NRL & the grassroots...".

"From my experiences as a mum, it is clear Auskick is light years ahead & rugby league is being left behind..."

For her full DT article, click here
(See my post#477)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Interesting take.

Former GWS star Heath Shaw has lifted the lid on the Giants’ “messy” end to 2020 that he thinks could leave “scars” for 2021.

The 2019 Grand Finalists missed the finals last season as they lost their final three games, including a defeat by wooden spooners Adelaide that set alarm bells ringing.

Coach Leon Cameron then made the massive call to drop Giants captain Stephen Coniglio for the following week’s game – the first full-time skipper to be dropped in more than 20 years – which they lost to Melbourne.

Shaw, who retired at the end of last season after 325 games for the Giants and Collingwood, revealed he told Cameron it was the wrong move at the time in a meeting with the coach and fellow leader Matt de Boer.

Shaw said it was hard watching Coniglio go through the “embarrassment”of being left out, and it was one incident among many that played a part in the GWS implosion.

“Leon knew my relationship with Cogs, he said Cogs wouldn‘t be playing and I gave him my thoughts,” Shaw said on Thursday.

“Whether he’s my best mate or not, I think he’s in the best 22 and I want to win. I said it was the wrong decision, and I was pretty strong in the fact that we needed to make it known he was being dropped and it wasn’t rested or soreness.

“If we are doing it, we are being totally honest about it. I didn’t know what the plan was, but in my head it popped up. It was a surprise to a lot of people he was out.”

Shaw said a decision to move defender Aidan Corr out of the club’s Queensland hub when he announced he would join North Melbourne this season was another nail in their 2020 coffin because the focus went off football.

“Towards the end of the year is always a little bit messy. For the Giants it was messier than most,” Shaw told SEN.

“We had two games to win to make the finals. We dropped our captain for one of those, one of our players told the club he was going to leave for another club. I remember that night and that situation, he (Corr) didn’t think it would pan out that way.

“It was really messy. Football was the last thing, but football was the most important thing.

“The scars of last year are going to be there slightly. We lost our focus on playing football and winning games.”

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
SEN Melb. G. Whateley 3.3.21 program

Interviews J. Halloran, a The Australian sports' journalist, who is creating a sports' podcast series. The first 6 episodes will be "The Fall of RU in Australia".
Episodes 5 & 6 will exclusively cover the decline of GR RU.

Halloran describes the decline of GR RU, & growth of GR AF; & also states that the NRL & RA are worried about the rise of AF in schools in NSW, ACT, & Qld.
She gives anecdotes about Sydney, where she has been a long time resident.

The creation of GWS, with a game in Sydney almost every week, & 4 games in Canberra, has undoubtedly raised the awareness of AF in all areas, & increased its profile in the MSM- contributing to AF's growth, & RU's decline.

Last edited:

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
The creation of GWS, with a game in Sydney almost every week, & 4 games in Canberra, has undoubtedly raised the awareness of AF in all areas .

Not only is the profile of AF lifted but there is also a conveniently-located team that represents the local are.

contributing to AF's growth, & RU's decline.

Absolutely no link between the two. It was RU that pulled out of WS.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Not only is the profile of AF lifted but there is also a conveniently-located team that represents the local are.

Yep.
Rugby Australia canned the Rams in the NRC and then the Shute Shield canned the Emus with promises of a Western Sydney Uni side that never eventuated.

Emus have returned but combined with them pulling out of all grassroots and concentrating on private school only they have no one to blame but themselves for AFL moving in.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr

ESPN has us dropping down into bottom 4 this year, with cameron and others leaving. Hopefully they are wrong, I think if greene stays healthy and Hogan plays well we are a good chance for the flag

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
M. Seidner, Chief Investment Officer of New York-based Pimco Bonds, is joining the Board of GWS as a Director (even though he will remain US-based).
He is a passionate fan of GWS, & has donated millions to GWS, & he visits Aust. several times pa to watch GWS games. (As does Pimco's D. Ivascyn, also a personal funder in the millions of GWS).

The AFL has discounted the possibilty of GWS being sold to Pimco (but, IMO, it may be considered by the AFL sometime in the future if an hug offer is ever made for private ownership).

(Scroll to 8.3- then click on The Australian "Wall St Giant M. Seidner Joins GWS Board"

The clout & international appeal of Sydney (as well as the appeal of AF & GWS, of course!) has opened the doors to AF of Pimco Bonds, which manages c. $US300b+ in funds.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Found it on FB
IMG_1944.jpg

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
AFL NSW/ACT has announced on 1.3.21 it will be starting, from this week, a weekly podcast series, "Play On" hosted by R. O'Keefe & AFL journalist J. Gaynor, that will have a heavy focus on GR AF progress in NSW & ACT.

This decision strongly implies that AFL NSW/ACT has many "feel good" GR stories" about the strong growth of GR AF in NSW & ACT since 2012- which, of course, the creation of GWS has played a major contribution.
One can also infer from this podcast series on GR growth that AFL NSW/ACT believes this strong growth is very likely to continue into the future, indefinitely.

(See my post#3557).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back