Gibbs is now a Crow

How do you feel about the Bryce Gibbs deal?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So we have no first round picks this year, exactly the same result if we traded two firsts last year (2016 first and 2017 first).

Given up the same 12 months later and we could have had Gibbs this year, s**t list management whichever way you look at it.

Well played SOS got what you wanted AND had Gibbs for another year.

It's easy when you hold all the cards. But he didn't get entirely what he wanted, Roo's first born stays at the Crows.

Why didn't they go all in last year

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Multitude of reasons:

Could be we though organic growth was enough
Didn't have the same safeguards (the fact we already have 2x first rounders next year makes this deal easier to swallow).
Need another piece elsewhere etc.

We could have picked good kids in the draft.

....which take time to develop, which we do not have.

When you're rebuilding, you take your time, be cautious and patient. But when you're in a Premiership Window....the exact opposite applies. Time is not on your side, and you need to roll the dice. Yes, we paid overs for Gibbs, no question about it. When the player you want to secure is contracted, you're not going to be able to avoid paying overs. Added to that, we had f*ck all other options that I'm aware of. Our Premiership Window is wide open right now, and we do not have the time to wait a few more seasons for the "perfect value" deal to present itself, when Sloane/Betts/Walker may be retired, or on their last legs. We had to strike while the iron's hot.

Last edited:
....which take time to develop, which we do not have.

When you're rebuilding, you take your time, be cautious and patient. But when you're in a Premiership Window....the exact opposite applies. Time is not on your side, and you need to roll the dice. Yes, we paid overs for Gibbs, no question about it. When the player you want to secure is contracted....you're not going to be able avoid paying overs. Added to that, we had f*ck all other options that I'm aware of. Our Premiership Window is wide open right now, and we do not have the time to wait a few more seasons for the "perfect value" deal to present itself, when Sloane/Betts/Walker may be retired, or on their last legs. We had to strike while the iron's hot.
Our replacements would come from previous drafts, not necessarily this one.

Well...theres alot on our board who admire and recongise his contribution to the CFC, and theres a few that dont.

Lets look at the deal again this time next year...After you've seen him in YOUR midfield..NOT ours.

What you've paid for him will be quickly forgotten.

Nope, it will be brought up in the media as a negative mostly and this is the Adelaide Board. There are many here who won't let us forget about how s**t our club is and how we always make bad decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope, it will be brought up in the media as a negative mostly and this is the Adelaide Board. There are many here who won't let us forget about how s**t our club is and how we always make bad decisions.

There still people here who lament the loss of Chris Groom.

Last edited:
Gibbs was a contracted player....Was never coming cheap...and quality to boot.

First time he runs out in a Crows jumper everyone will forget the cost. Quality player who could help turn off the flood gates back to Victoria.

We also have a polished mid who may teach his craft to the Crouches.

Sloane now has help......very important in retaining him. Worth every penny in my book!

My only complaint is it Should have been done last season. But all good now so let’s look forward to a great year with a midfield to take on all comers!!

Lol using hawthorn as example of a team going all in for another shot at the flag.

How did that work for them this year?

How have the swans gone with buddy and tippet?

How have geelong gone with their loading up on old guys?

Richmond have traded the least of all those sides. They developed their own talent.
Hmmm 8 of the last 10 flags suggests trading isn't a terrible idea.

Bulldogs sold the house to bring in Tom Boyd too.

Because pick 10 alone should have been more than enough. And in terms of the "next year's draft is much stronger than this one" line that everyone appears to be saying, we hear that every bloody year. How often does it actually end up happening? Sorry, not trying to have a go at you specifically, just frustrated with our decision. :)

Obviously pick ten wasn't enough. Then what?

Like a few others I'm warming to this. Got cracking midfield now. And although maybe should have paid same price last year, feels unlikely it cost the flag and not having Gibbs this year did end up allowing Greenwood games to develop and Brad to flourish perhaps too.
Death riding Carlton and Melbourne will make next year exhausting.

I think it's fine.

Using this year's ladder as a rough guide and ignoring those picks in the 70's...

Picks 10, 16 and 2018 pick 35.

For Gibbs, 2018 picks 21 39.

So it's pick 10 and a 5 pick downgrade (but into apparently a much strong draft) for Gibbs.
And if we have a bad year and Carlton improve. Can you give me the x-lotto nu
Welcome Bryce Gibbs, great to finally see you a Crows player, should have been one from the start.
After my disgust with the deal I am still Happy we have Bryce. Will be a massive addition to the side albeit 10 years too late. We need to embrace Bryce coming home to a destination club and hope he plays 100 games for F/s as well.
ps Rucci suck eggs

How is paying two firsts this year when you said it would have been irresponsible last year not a bad decision?

Whichever way you slice it up our professional list management team has stuffed up.

Hindsight, we should have made the same deal last year.

You guys are on hundreds of 1000's of dollars per year to get these decisions right, you failed in this case.

At least noble stood strong and got us something.

Reid pissed himself and gave it all away.

you are on crack if you think noble should be anywhere near a negotiating table.

Reid has played the numbers well. has learnt his lessons from last year regarding the media game and how to build relationships across clubs.

objectively based this year, its a pass, get cameron out for 12-18 and a few role players cheaply and its an A+. I love that we are taking risks, and the club certainly has my support. Theres been alot of work done for this and the club has addressed issues we have identified. We are well stocked for next year, and we got a raft of 1st rounders running in the SANFL. gives us a chance to really give these guys a run and bank some of the development gains we have made in players, (wigg,lever,charlie)

Players leaving is normal, getting fair value for them has been abnormal for us, so its a welcome change.

Back