Given Trent's current form, does Brooke's captaincy need to be questioned??

Who will captain Richmond next year?

• Brooke, obviously.

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Uhh... Dusty? No its Brooke, who are we kidding.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Whichever staff member Dimma is banging.

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Does it matter when they're headed for another 30 years of mediocrity?

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone, I'm speaking seriously here. Like really serious, explain:

Did this Brooke have any media profile before meeting Trent? Had she done anything of note, or is she just a typical WAG.

Over in Perth we don't get this stuff from you Vic's. Except for Bec of course.
She’s done * all, just another wannabe Kardashian yet too prudish to release a sex tape.

Give it time tho, after Trent pulls the pin this year she’ll probably do anything to stay relevant, probably a RALPH magazine cover. :$

She’s done fu** all, just another wannabe Kardashian yet too prudish to release a sex tape.

Give it time tho, after Trent pulls the pin this year she’ll probably do anything to stay relevant, probably a RALPH magazine cover. :$

That's quite sad. But she only has herself to blame.

Did this Brooke have any media profile before meeting Trent? Had she done anything of note, or is she just a typical WAG.

Her old man played for Footscray and she was rooting Clint Bartram until he retired.

She’s done fu** all, just another wannabe Kardashian yet too prudish to release a sex tape.

Is Ralph still going? Jesus.......

Nothing a nice and relaxing warm creamy facial wouldn't fix

00-holding-facial-spring-clean.jpg

Shirley you jest.

WA scrubbers who make a career out of football with only one campaigner working for them are hardly * ing unicorns.

Shirley you jest.

WA scrubbers who make a career out of football with only one campaigner working for them are hardly fu** ing unicorns.

I am no fan of Bec if that's what you mean. I put her and Brooke in the same category.

What I meant was the WA media still give Bec coverage. Probably because she is from WA and she hooked up with Judd while he was in WA.

No-one over hear would really have a clue who Brooke is. The only time she's been mentioned is because of her stupid COVID breach.

Her old man played for Footscray and she was rooting Clint Bartram until he retired.

Oh, she's one of them, even worse. No wonder Trent won't pull the pin.

No-one over hear would really have a clue who Brooke is. The only time she's been mentioned is because of her stupid COVID breach.

This does not surprise me.

I lived in Perth for a couple of years and am familiar with the resounding silence in the WA media surrounding anything that happens east of Kalgoorlie.

Had the experience of turning on the TV News on my first weekend there. Exploits of the Perth Wildcats, 3 minutes. Exploits of the West Coast Eagles, 5 minutes. Short comment "Tony Locket kicked 4 goals to draw within one of Peter Sumich". THE END. Not even the * ing results of the other games.

This does not surprise me.

I lived in Perth for a couple of years and am familiar with the resounding silence in the WA media surrounding anything that happens east of Kalgoorlie.

Had the experience of turning on the TV News on my first weekend there. Exploits of the Perth Wildcats, 3 minutes. Exploits of the West Coast Eagles, 5 minutes. Short comment "Tony Locket kicked 4 goals to draw within one of Peter Sumich". THE END. Not even the fu** ing results of the other games.

Can't argue with you there the WA media is appalling, unless you are a Lathlain supporter. I'm sure there is a picture of Nic Nat in every West Australian for the last how many years. Or some stupid story on the news about how an Eagle was mowing his lawn.

Though we do have the advantage of them not giving a s**t about Brooke whatshername.

Also thinks she is above the law and she and her family deserve special treatment and has a massive sook whenever Trent is publicly criticized

#kardashimond

66YK.gif

Bloody hell:

The partner of a former player, who has been part of the AFL-system for most of her life, has likened the game’s treatment of her and fellow wives to that of The Handmaid’s Tale.

“The AFL at times expects us to remain in the background, we are like the handmaids — you know The Handmaid’s Tale,” said one wife, referencing the dystopian TV drama where women solely serve the state. “We are expected to turn up to serve … and remain quiet.”

The way the game treats the partners of footballers has become a burning issue for the AFL.

In recent weeks, Brooke Cotchin, wife of Richmond captain Trent, admitted she had suicidal thoughts in the hub last year while a furore erupted over St Kilda players Seb Ross and Tim Membrey leaving a “mini hub” and choosing their family over a football game.

Three weeks ago the AFL gave players and staff just hours’ notice to escape Sydney’s Covid outbreak – and in that initial decision no one had factored women and children into the equation.

“They are only now having the conversation about us and how we figure in all this,” said one wife.

The Australian has spoken to several NSW-based partners who are at “breaking point”.

A wife of a NSW club employee says it was just seconds after her husband left suddenly — to save the AFL competition — that all hell broke loose in her house.

There was her child who screamed for her father hysterically for two and half hours after he dashed from the house for the sake of football. Now her toddler wakes nightly calling out: “Why has daddy left us?” She said her club had been wholly supportive, but she still has been “a mess”, wondering when her partner will come home.

“It’s always football first, then family — whether you are a player or a coach — and it always has been,” says the woman. “It should be family first.”

Some players and coaches are considering returning to Sydney. While the women have been given UberEats vouchers, the club welfare person checks in on them, counselling via the AFLPA is offered (but only after they made inquiries) and, two wives pointed out, there has been no public thanks from the AFL.

Many are now considering whether they will head to Victoria — to quarantine for two weeks — some with little children and babies.

“My mental health has not been good, my anxiety is through the roof, this puts a strain on your marriage,” one NSW club wife said.

“There should have been a plan for us — but no, it was ‘just get the boys out of the state’. That’s all that matters; the footy game. And it shows how little regard there is for women in the sport. We have jobs and careers too — and there has been zero consideration for that.

“The only time the women are wheeled out is for the Brownlow, for the red carpet … that is the only time we are visible as women.”

The situation of NSW AFL clubs’ families has again shone a light on how little — if at all — women’s voices are consulted in the AFL industry.

Felicity Harley, an author, commentator and editor for News Corp, who is married to the Swans CEO Tom, when contacted by The Australian said it is time for a conversation on the greater role women can play at the game to ensure a stronger workplace for the code as a whole.

“The truth is, the wives and partners love football and being involved in the game, but this often comes at a sacrifice of the family and women’s mental wellbeing,” Harley said. “Of course, this has been exacerbated during Covid, but the ongoing ‘competition at all cost’ mentality highlights that families and the women behind-the-scenes are an afterthought.

“They’re not valued for what they contribute on the home front to keep the game alive, or that they might also have jobs, careers or other commitments.

“There are many, dare I say, modern men working in AFL who also feel the strain that they can’t be the type of father they hope to be because of the 24/7 requirements of the job. Football and family can coexist and to make this happen there needs to be more women at the table — women’s voices in the conversations around fixtures and games, player welfare because at the moment there seems to be none.”

Harley’s experience of this latest lockdown situation — she has three children — hasn’t been easy and from this negative experience she hopes to bring another layer into the conversation around gender inequality in the AFL.

Mardi Dangerfield, an occupational therapist, co-host of The Significant Others podcast whose partner Patrick plays for Geelong, said the AFL had an opportunity to learn from the 2020 season.

“In response to your questions the league can learn a lot from last year and the women connected to their game,” Dangerfield told The Australian. “However, I am surprised that there was no feedback sought regarding the AFL hubs from 2020 as to how these situations impacted families and partners.”

“The expectations on players and staff were well and truly beyond anything anyone could have prepared for. We find two teams and their families currently looking at extended periods apart right now and we’re no better at supporting them than last year.”

“It needs to be highlighted further that we’re not just talking about highly paid, high-profile players and their partners and families but the extended playing list, coaches, medical staff and administrators that are also feeling the long-term stress of the industry during the pandemic but realistically beforehand as well.”

Hester Brown, husband of Melbourne player Ben and an Our Watch ambassador who hosts the podcast with Dangerfield, said it was vital that all members of the football club are equally considered.

“The AFL and Sydney-based clubs have an opportunity now to look after staff and players in a way that recognises not just the potential harm to children and the immense strain on partners and their employment, but also understands the needs of those working hard to keep the season going — their essential staff and players,” Brown said. “Staff families should be given equal consideration and support in keeping their families together and being supported by the league.”

Prue Gilbert, chief executive of the workplace gender equality consultancy Grace Papers, said she was concerned by the current situation being endured by the Swans and Giants players.

“When your family is in distress, it compromises work, it compromises performance first and foremost,” Gilbert said. “In the corporate world, many organisations have seen an increase in engagement and trust because they’ve put care at the heart of their responses, and it’s shown that when they do, employees thrive.”

“The AFL’s management of players ought to also prioritise care and they’ve had ample opportunity to ensure such contingency planning is in place now.”

It’s no secret that families were shattered after the stress of the 2020 season. Gilbert said the AFL hub situation clearly had disastrous personal consequences.

“I think it would be fair to say that the hub model for families who were separated, didn‘t work, and caused distress and obviously breakdowns for too many families involved, and why should they have to sacrifice that much for a game of football?” Gilbert said.

“That says we’ve got a win at all costs culture, that prioritises TV rights and sponsors over family. I’d say it’s fairly inconsistent with the way some of the sponsors have managed their own employees.”

“I think everybody was grateful that the AFL continued to play last year … it was certainly was a light in some dark weeks, but it shouldn‘t come at the cost of family distress or destruction.”

One wife, who’s husband has played at two AFL clubs, said the way infidelity is overlooked or excused in the code is a major cause for concern. It needs to be addressed.

“The way infidelity is tolerated in the AFL — it is misogynistic,” she said. “(Name deleted) was part of this three-headed monster and has since been celebrated. No one has called out the infidelity. He should have got the sack.”

Many of the wives and partners who spoke to The Australian said they would not go on the public record for fear of retribution by the league.

Gilbert said the fact women don’t feel they can speak out is problematic.

“Women should absolutely have a voice in the freedom agency to speak their mind and their truth, and for as long as we’re silencing the partners, partners of players, we’ve got no hope of hearing women’s voice or seeing any cultural change through the league,” she said.

One woman who was allegedly told to stay quiet last year while a scandal blazed around her was Brooke Cotchin. She had unknowingly broke the Queensland hub rules. She visited a salon for a facial and made that mistake public when she posted it to Instagram. (It was time out from being cooped up with a teething baby and homeschooling two kids from her hotel room in the hub).

It was called out. Trolls ensued and she was blasted in the media.

“I kept saying to Trent, the only reason — it sounds extreme — but the only reason I didn’t kill myself was because of my kids,’’ Cotchin told the Curious Conversations podcast last month.

But the most telling words didn’t come from Brooke during the saga last year, but from her dad Rick Kennedy, who took aim at the AFL and the league over the way his daughter was treated. He said his daughter was “muzzled”.

“I think the AFL and Richmond handled it really poorly,” Kennedy said on Triple M in July 2020. “They talk today a big game about supporting women, coming in behind women and promoting women. What they really did is shut her down and didn’t allow her to go public and take responsibility.”

The Australian has obtained a copy of a memo issued last year via email to partners discouraging “posting anything on social media, or make any comment via any form of external media, that reflects negatively on the AFL, any AFL Club, the Transitional Hub environment or any State Government”.

“It felt like we had a gag order,” said one wife. “It was strongly encouraged not to put in on social media and not talk to the media, and those that did were crucified.”

“Looking back it was quite shocking the narrative that occurred around women — stories were leaked framing us as sunbaking, entitled women when that could not have been further from the truth. There weren’t stories around the fact women had left their homes, their jobs in the name of football. I mean there was a mum of four kids who was trying to teach online. No one wrote about that. No one wrote that there were female officials, staffers who all got along and how we found it empowering.”

The crux of the issue: “It was very evident there were no females sitting around a table making decisions when it came to women and families.”

As for the way that footballers’ partners have been “framed” by the media — Brown said it was time the AFL offered them more protection.

“There is also a significant role to play in protecting and defending partners from undue media scrutiny,” Brown said. “The media for a long time has been more than complicit in portraying women in football — particularly partners — as more of a distraction than an asset. It would be extremely powerful to see clubs and the AFL take a strong line on this — not just listening and learning from the women around them who, as it so happens, have many years of football experience between them, but encouraging their opinions, participations and making sure they are not used as ‘easy targets’ for media beat ups.”

The AFL has appointed Rhonda Brighton-Hall to examine equal-opportunity policies, workplace training to counter discrimination and harassment and the complaints-handling process at the game’s head office.

As one woman said, when the AFL commits themselves fully to a cause they can have an amazing impact.

“If they apply that to gender equality, then we are going to be in a really great place,” she said.

JESSICA HALLORAN, CHIEF SPORTS WRITER
Any chance of an abridged edition?

TLDR

Wow reading through this thread I can only conclude that Mrs Cotchin must be the mistress of trolling.
You lot are like a bunch of excitable, non binary asexual left wing cos dressing virgins (surely thats possible in our marvelous all inclusive new World?)

Let it go ladies.

Wow reading through this thread I can only conclude that Mrs Cotchin must be the mistress of trolling.
You lot are like a bunch of excitable, non binary asexual left wing cos dressing virgins (surely thats possible in our marvelous all inclusive new World?)

Let it go ladies.

Couldn't access the article, was that the one where she rambles on for ages about how she doesn't have someone to wipe her arse at the resort?

What do Richmond fans generally think of her?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let it go ladies.
Mate she’s a campaigner. If she was gold digging someone from any team other than yours you’d say the same.

Let it go ladies.

VAF9cK.gif

Brooke is a selfish, capitalist right wing diva like Caitlyn Jenner actually

#kardashimond

Couldn't access the article, was that the one where she rambles on for ages about how she doesn't have someone to wipe her arse at the resort?

What do Richmond fans generally think of her?
I can't speak for the rest but I don't think about her at all.

I'm in it for the football not the wives tales, damn I've got my own wife if I need some nagging.

Who's defending her, I'm just pointing out that your all getting a little worked up about her.
I just don't have any interest in WAG "influencers" whether it be Cotchins wife or the Judess or Mrs Silvagni, or even the Kardashian freakshow.😴

It was one of you Richmond supporting flogs that sent her abusive and disgrace private messages on Instagram though?

Anyone who bothers to do that is pond scum AFAIK, I guess for bay material Brooke and Trenr are easy targets, but I am sure they don't read this forum anyway , so no harm no foul (least not on a personal level, can't judge her or Trent or anyone anyone else I have never personally met really)

Back