Delisted GM, Football - Dan Richardson - Club confirms, has been sacked, 29/10

Remove this Banner Ad

I assume Campbell or a footy director can pull rank if there is a need to resolve a deadlock.

The claims that SOS would sabotage Carlton, reading between the lines, related to the possibility that he would retain his boys or get bogged down in deals for them to the club's detriment. I'm not sure how that becomes sabotage. Seems to me that could have been resolved any potential problem easily enough by having some oversight of deals involving the boys or even having Silvagni recuse himself from any decision making relating to them. I'm also somewhat amused by Ben's de-listing. He was tracking quite well, 196cm key defender with decent athleticism. Seemed like a strange one in a year in which they don't need to cut that deep into their list.

Liddell is a weasel. SOS did about as well as anyone could realistically expect rebuilding a side from a horrible, horrible base. I know who I'm going to side with there.

Bigger picture is the structural dysfunction of football departments. At the end of the day, someone who knows football needs to have the final say which coordinates everything. It makes no sense to have a coach, GM and list manager of essentially equal standing in the hierarchy responsible for their silos. It's far from clear to me why we would have a GM and a list manager. It's difficult to understand what an AFL GM does day to day.

I could really hear the hurt in SOS voice that this johnny come lately walks into the club that he and his dad both played a lifetime for and could suggest he would purposely harm it. There's a big difference between being bad at your job, and purposely sabotaging, it's a seriously terrible claim to make.

Perhaps dodo thinks this johnny come lately has walked in on his turf and is trying the same on...

The most worrying aspect is, it's probably old-world boys club stuff at its worst, and we probably have just seen another victim fall by its way side. Maybe if you are so entrenched inside a clubs fabric for so long (sos/dodo) you don't/cant have the objective ability to make it function properly - hence the need for the outsider. ...and so the battle continues

Or a month from now
Yes it's a bit like taking the regular jockey off the horse as they're getting ready to go into the barrier stalls and putting on a new rider who has never ridden the horse before. Even if the new bloke is better, it's asking a lot of him.

I recall him being very polarising with supporters at both clubs he coached at.
I think it happened with Saints fans after he left. Fair enough with Freo though, you'd know more Freo fans than me. Lucky duck. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always love it how we have had 20 years of mediocrity but anytime we try to change it, the sackings go in a last-in, first-out basis - with no hint that perhaps something from about 20 years ago might just be the issue - either that who the hiring policy itself

Both can be wrong though.

How many people in positions to actually impact on performance are still around from 5 years ago? Let alone 10 or 20?

Dodoro is really the only one, and it's arguable as to whether he's anything other than simply average at what he does. I doubt replacing him mysteriously turns things around.

We can have been unsuccessful for a long period of time without it necessarily being one single long-running thing causing it.

Sheedy was past his use by date and needed to go.
Knights was never really given the resources to succeed, but also seemed to not be a particularly good coach.
Hird seemed to get the players on-side and playing for him, but the events from 2013 - 2016 killed any chances, and I'm not sure he was anything special as a coach anyway.
Daniher looked our generational FF in 2017, so we went and built around him and then his body fell apart, killing 2018 - 2020.

I think it's a cumulative effect of a number of short-term decisions being made.

I always love it how we have had 20 years of mediocrity but anytime we try to change it, the sackings go in a last-in, first-out basis - with no hint that perhaps something from about 20 years ago might just be the issue - either that who the hiring policy itself

Maybe some of the issues are everyone that gets hired isnt because they beat out a bunch of other candidates and are the best candidate, they are just hired because someone thinks they are the best fit.

We can only hope that unless its Neil Balme that they go through a proper process to hire the next person.

Maybe some of the issues are everyone that gets hired isnt because they beat out a bunch of other candidates and are the best candidate, they are just hired because someone thinks they are the best fit.

We can only hope that unless its Neil Balme that they go through a proper process to hire the next person.

Agreed except for last sentence as Owen87 pointed out. We need to do a proper process for once and not let mishaps such as laptop breakdowns get in the way.

Ultimately it all comes back to the only people who truly make or approve all the calls - the Board.

Every decision is either made by them or made by somebody they appoint.

Greg Sewell (1981–1987)
Ron Evans (1988–1992)
David Shaw (1992–1996)
Graeme McMahon (1996–2003)
Neil McKissock (2003–2006)
Ray Horsburgh (2006–2009)
David Evans (2009–2013)
Paul Little (2013–2015)
Lindsay Tanner (2015–2020)
Paul Brasher (2020 – present)

They’re the people who’ve run the show and ultimately, you put your faith in.

We had success under the first four on that list.

I recall next to nothing of McKissock and Horsburgh, and what I do isn’t that impressive.

Evans came in with big plans and presided over a dysfunctional club that ultimately imploded in the worst way possible.

It’ll sound strange perhaps, but I don’t really even count Little as a true chairman. He was basically an emergency firefighter. Of that, he did a good job but then he quickly handballed the job on.

Many, including myself had high hopes of Tanner that ultimately went unfulfilled. We now hear him being described as an “absentee” chairman. If that’s the case, then his reign is clearly a failure.

Brasher is now here with his own big plans. That’s what we’re seeing now... the fallout of a failed Tanner era and the beginning of Brasher.

Will it work? I don’t know. None of our chairmen since McMahon have succeeded.

Agreed except for last sentence as Owen87 pointed out. We need to do a proper process for once and not let mishaps such as laptop breakdowns get in the way.

Not exactly, for me proper process is, if you know they are the best then you hire them. He's been football boss for 9 grand finals in 23 years, 6wins. Nobody else weve been hiring has those sorts of runs on the board.

I'm guessing like almost everyone else on here but id suggest if Dan needed to go then others need to go as well (I have never been a fan of Richardson as stated early in this thread).

I'd put money on it that Campbell isn't the best we could get and neither is Brasher - Not many industries would think a president that's been on a board for for nearly a decade of trash is the best option because of a rousing 20 minute speech. That explains football as a 'business' really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back