Gold Coast given 4 top 20 picks over the next 3 drafts

Remove this Banner Ad

Were you making the same complaints in 2010? When the concessions were far bigger?
No, because the circumstance Im talking about is future trading. That only came in in 2015. So 2010 wasn't applicable.
Teams also knew then that you get a priority pick for a 5 loss or worse season.
ps. The 2004 draft probably would've been a better example to use than 2010, however, both still irrelevant to my qualm.

Got no issue with it, let them grow. Let them succeed. Let them make the Grand Final.

And let them get slaughtered just like the Giants did.

I don't get why people think this is so bad.

Gold Coast is in a crisis situation, their list is uncomepetitive. The AFL had to do something fairly strong and drastic now. If they are serious about the Gold Coast experiment working they need to fast track their list rebuild.

Obviously this has to be accompanied by changes in culture and administration though

Just wait until Richmond fans realise we now have exclusive access to Maurice Rioli Jr at the 2020 draft. The tears will be delicious.
LOL is that true?

Pretty sure he will end up at Richmond anyway ;)

LOL is that true?

Pretty sure he will end up at Richmond anyway ;)

Not sure how it will work because he is technically a father son for Richmond and Freo. Wants to play for Richmond though.

But wouldn't shock me if the AFL gift him to the plastics.

Hope any Suns supporter reading this isn't allergic to SALT, lol. SO MUCH SODIUM CHLORIDE!!!

That said it's ridiculous compensation for a side that's not terrible on paper. My club only beat them by a point and had a couple more wins than them, where's our compo?

Who pays Dylan Shiel's real salary? Is coterie cronyism available outside of footy states? If you're not interested in that, quit whinging.

It's easy to say it could work in Tassie if the North QLD Cowboys can continue to be viable. But that team was effectively an amateur/semi-pro side in a professional league for a long time, and the level of footy talent in Tassie in minuscule compared with North QLD. Add to that the problem of North and Hawthorn and it wouldn't be pretty in the short term.
Jeez you seem a bit upset, it's just meme bro. Brisbane lions have at least 1 coterie group anyway so I'm not sure what your point actually is unless it is to sound like an idiot.

Just as a comparison,
top 30 selections by CG vs StKilda

Gold Coast PlayerPickStKilda Playerpick
Bowes
Martin
Harbrow
Briodie
Fiorini
Answorth
Miller
Day
Ah Chee
Weller
Ellis
Corbert
Nicholls
Lemmons
Swallow
Powell
Burgess
Wright
King
Rankine
Lukosius
McLennan
17yo Pre Selection #1
Uncontracted Player 2010
Special Assist player 2018
17yo Pre Selection
Special Assist player 2018
Coffield
Carlisle
Gresham
Ross
Dunstan
Acres
Steele
Hannaberry
Clarke
King
Billings
Longer
Armitage
Long
Brown
McCartin
McKenzie
#8 Retire Concussion
#9 Retire
#1 Retire Concussion

Hows a Pick going to Fix their issues. They got picks last year along with Carlton.

and they get more........ ffs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a sticky wicket. However, it could be argued that they have been raided as badly as any other club and haven’t been able to parlay losing their good players into Bryce Gibbs style compensation. Brisbane did lose a lot of players for unders with the Go Home Five but they were also able to attract experienced players such as Christensen and Beams which Gold Coast haven’t been able to do.
Yes they have been raided of their talent, so the solution is to give them more talent that can be raided.

I don’t see how they are different to any other club that finishes last. Every year someone finishes last, this year it was the Suns

If I was a young player about to get drafted I'd be doing everything I could to tank my draft stocks so I didn't get picked up by this joke of an expansion.
FC should be relocated to Tassie and start a team from Tasmania. At least it's a genuine football state, nit like Queensland being predominately Rugby. Apparently it doesn't matter which code goes to the Gold Coast - most of them rail for some reason.

The AFL have missed an opportunity here. These concessions do NOT guarantee success.

In my view, GC should be granted the first 4 goals in all home and away games and if they are still leading by 3 quarter time they should be declared winners. In finals they should receive the first 8 goals and if still leading by half time be declared winners. This is the only fair way to ensure success and not compromise the integrity of the game.

My other idea is a bit more radical. Why not just call Richmond Gold Coast? That way you don't even need a team on the Gold Coast AND Gold Coast should win at least 1 or 2 of the next 5 flags. If Richmond (Gold Coast) drops down the ladder - just rename the new powerhouse Gold Coast. This way they can compete at the very pointy end every year until Cairns enters the competition.
This is the best idea I've ever seen. Gill get on it.

FC should be relocated to Tassie and start a team from Tasmania. At least it's a genuine football state, nit like Queensland being predominately Rugby. Apparently it doesn't matter which code goes to the Gold Coast - most of them rail for some reason.
Rubbish.

Tasmania is already a small market, and it's further compromised by their government selling home games to Hawthorn and North Melbourne for so many years. Gold Coast at least has the capacity to grow, but people like you don't know any better. Keep mindlessly believing Tasmania needs an AFL team.

I don't get why people think this is so bad.

Gold Coast is in a crisis situation, their list is uncomepetitive.
If they are uncompetitive, I am not sure what a bunch of skinny 18 year olds is going to do to help this. At least the AFL could have given the priority picks to GC with some kind of unspoken rule that they had to be on traded for established players only.

Embarrassing.

Why did they let Lyons go? Why did they trade pick 2 for Weller?

More draft picks is not the answer. The problem lies with the club leadership, both on-field and off-field.

Melbourne and St Kilda have been rubbish for ever and they keep getting handouts.

Why not the Suns?

If they are uncompetitive, I am not sure what a bunch of skinny 18 year olds is going to do to help this. At least the AFL could have given the priority picks to GC with some kind of unspoken rule that they had to be on traded for established players only.

Rowell is solid as an ox

Anderson is good to go r1 too

Not really, the decision makers are all out in the open.

You reckon the dude that paid billions for the media rights doesn't have a say?

You reckon an organisation that preaches expansion comes to a decision to hold its showcase event at the one venue to infinity and beyond, of its own volition?

You reckon it was out in the open decision making that led to the Docklands stadium deals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back