Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Jye Lockett is an interesting one because he was a Southport junior who wanted to play for the Swans one day and now it looks like at some point earlier this year he either moved to Ballarat or began boarding at St Patrick's College (in Ballarat) but retained his place in our academy. I don't think this is a problem in terms of his eligibility for our academy because we often see GWS academy players like Jacob Hopper (St Patrick's College) and Will Setterfield (Caulfield Grammar) attending boarding schools in Victoria but it does seem odd given the distance between the Gold Coast and Ballarat. Either way, you'd have to think living in Ballarat decreases his chances of feeling our strong connection with our club. We may lose our Mini Plugger before we even get him.

Jye Lockett is an interesting one because he was a Southport junior who wanted to play for the Swans one day and now it looks like at some point earlier this year he either moved to Ballarat or began boarding at St Patrick's College (in Ballarat) but retained his place in our academy. I don't think this is a problem in terms of his eligibility for our academy because we often see GWS academy players like Jacob Hopper (St Patrick's College) and Will Setterfield (Caulfield Grammar) attending boarding schools in Victoria but it does seem odd given the distance between the Gold Coast and Ballarat. Either way, you'd have to think living in Ballarat decreases his chances of feeling our strong connection with our club. We may lose our Mini Plugger before we even get him.
Is he even good? Lol

James Brayshaw IQ = 4

Is he even good? Lol

James Brayshaw IQ = 4
This is from his U16 nationals performance earlier this year:

#28 Jye Lockett
Was one of the damaging three strong trio in the Queensland forward line and booted a couple of goals either end of the game. His first came in the goal square where he positioned himself well, took the mark and turned around to kick the goal from a metre out. The hands looked to be in the back of his opponent, but his body positioning was good and he had a number of other chances after that. He took a strong pack mark out 30m on an angle not long after his first goal but it drifted to the left for a behind, and then pushed up the ground at times to win some touches at half-forward. At one stage he applied a fend-off in midfield and got clear to kick forward, before then going deeper later on to mark the ball going back with the flight and put it through the middle of the big sticks midway through the last term.

Why someone wants to go to Ballarat is bizzare. Its the coldest place in vic. Even I don't go there lol
The Lockett family are originally from Ballarat. Tony Lockett's brother (Neil) moved to the GC ages ago but had an altercation with Marcus Ashcroft a few years ago and maybe just decided to take Jye to where he grew up instead?

#28 Jye Lockett
Was one of the damaging three strong trio in the Queensland forward line and booted a couple of goals either end of the game. His first came in the goal square where he positioned himself well, took the mark and turned around to kick the goal from a metre out. The hands looked to be in the back of his opponent, but his body positioning was good and he had a number of other chances after that. He took a strong pack mark out 30m on an angle not long after his first goal but it drifted to the left for a behind, and then pushed up the ground at times to win some touches at half-forward. At one stage he applied a fend-off in midfield and got clear to kick forward, before then going deeper later on to mark the ball going back with the flight and put it through the middle of the big sticks midway through the last term.

The Lockett family are originally from Ballarat. Tony Lockett's brother (Neil) moved to the GC ages ago but had an altercation with Marcus Ashcroft a few years ago and maybe just decided to take Jye to where he grew up instead?
Fair enough. That's a reasonable explanation.

#28 Jye Lockett

Cheers Marcus. Fantastic parting gift ya campaigner.

View attachment 793875

Given he is wearing the academy top, I assume he will play in the academy as an overage player?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Have been told he has been training with the seniors since the draft as with Ace. Given there are still two list spots plus 8 already on the injured list (one with a broken back) he is probably there as an insurance. Also as you have not decided to take two over age neafl players it would probably be smart to elevate him and ace ( when his two years international status is up in June) so you can have 5 other 19 year olds. You will need these in the academy series when players like Davies and Johnston aren’t available. This will avoid a repeat of previous seasons where those who fail to make the academy team get to play neafl

Have been told he has been training with the seniors since the draft as with Ace. Given there are still two list spots plus 8 already on the injured list (one with a broken back) he is probably there as an insurance. Also as you have not decided to take two over age neafl players it would probably be smart to elevate him and ace ( when his two years international status is up in June) so you can have 5 other 19 year olds. You will need these in the academy series when players like Davies and Johnston aren’t available. This will avoid a repeat of previous seasons where those who fail to make the academy team get to play neafl
What can you tell us about Jack Johnston? Obviously you're expecting him to be one of the first picked for our academy team next year and possibly the Allies as well. I know his father David Johnston played over 60 games for Essendon and Fitzroy so he has some solid genes for football. I also know he's around 194cm at the moment (which is a bit odd considering his father was only 180cm) and has been playing as a key defender at the U18 level but I'd hope he still has a bit of growth left in him as 194cm is just scraping in as a key position player in the AFL. If he ends up in the 196-200cm range then that would be perfect. He's a Burleigh junior who ended up at PBC, which is an identical pathway Jacob Dawson followed. I feel we are a bit short with our key defender depth at the moment so there's definitely a spot for Jack on our list. Anyway, what do you know about him?

I think it's noteworthy that we've had sons of former VFL/AFL players come through our academy in each of the last three draft classes - Bailey Scott (2018), Connor Budarick (2019) and Jack Johnston (2020). Will the trend continue? Do we know anything about our 2021 class? Ashcroft? Lockett?

Just had a little look online - I think we can forget about recruiting Will Ashcroft in 2022. He now attends Brighton Grammar in Melbourne and was the captain of the U15 Victorian state team this year. Thanks Marcus :thumbsu:

I think we still have a claim to Jye Lockett in 2021 though. Will Bella and Austin Harris would be the other ones to look out for in 2021. I've also heard of Finn Brown but don't know much about him. Kalani White (son of Demons legend Jeff) is apparently a superstar for Surfers and will be draft eligible in about five or so years from now. The chances of us convincing him to sign with us instead of the Dees is probably slim but it's obviously worth a shot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had a little look online - I think we can forget about recruiting Will Ashcroft in 2022. He now attends Brighton Grammar in Melbourne and was the captain of the U15 Victorian state team this year. Thanks Marcus :thumbsu:

I think we still have a claim to Jye Lockett in 2021 though. Will Bella and Austin Harris would be the other ones to look out for in 2021. I've also heard of Finn Brown but don't know much about him. Kalani White (son of Demons legend Jeff) is apparently a superstar for Surfers and will be draft eligible in about five or so years from now. The chances of us convincing him to sign with us instead of the Dees is probably slim but it's obviously worth a shot.
Even if he had stayed in your academy, there would have been a QLD tug of war for Will Ashcroft.

I think Jye Lockett is Tony's nephew, so not eligible as a father/son prospect, which probably helps the Suns chances of nabbing him through our Academy.

Brodie Lake recognised as the outstanding prospect on the NT boys recent stint with the suns.
Found a bit of info on Brodie Lake online. Indigenous lad who is draft eligible in 2021, 186cm tall and appears to be living in Perth playing WAFL football for the Peel Thunder. Obviously going through the WA system is really good for his development and it seems like we're going to reap the rewards at the end when he becomes draft eligible in 2021.

Found a bit of info on Brodie Lake online. Indigenous lad who is draft eligible in 2021, 186cm tall and appears to be living in Perth playing WAFL football for the Peel Thunder. Obviously going through the WA system is really good for his development and it seems like we're going to reap the rewards at the end when he becomes draft eligible in 2021.
Eligible for next year draft I think. The more I look at this the more I think drafted sharp is ideal.

Screenshot_20191221_134124.jpg

Last edited:
The fact that he is playing colts at age 16 level is pretty good.

Sharp in his age 17 year at colts level average 18 disposals and 5 marks 2 tackles
Lake in his age 16 year at colts level average 8 disposals 2.5 marks 2.5 tackles

Be very interesting to follow his progress in this competition next year.

says video unavailable to me
Not sure why the link does not work now. It worked initially. Just go to youtube.com and search for 'U17S GF CURTAIN RAISER TEAM BROWN V TEAM DAL SANTO 2019'. I believe all players are the same year. Also Davies plays - number 21.

Not sure why the link does not work now. It worked initially. Just go to youtube.com and search for 'U17S GF CURTAIN RAISER TEAM BROWN V TEAM DAL SANTO 2019'. I believe all players are the same year. Also Davies plays - number 21.
so he is 2020 draft?
he was in u16 national champs 2019

So think Davies is 2020 draft and Lake is 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back