Remove this Banner Ad

I hope the Suns can work to something like this by the end of next season:

B: Joyce May Harbrow
HB: Kolodjashnij Day Scrimshaw
C: Weller Miller Hall
HF: Martin Wright Bowes
F: Ainsworth Lynch Ah Chee
R: Watts Lyons Swallow
Interchange and Depth: Rischitelli Barlow Fiorini Brodie Sexton Wigg Rosa Mckenzie Leslie Lemmens Macpherson Young Thompson Hanley et al.

Underlined denotes my picks for round 1.

Obvious emphasis on winning the contested ball. Need Rischitelli to get back to a good level of fitness so he can push/alleviate Brodie when needed. Hanley challenging KKolo for a spot until he learns some defence. Wigg, Rosa, Mckenzie, Lemmens, Macpherson, Thompson, Sexton all good insurance in case of injuries.

Once the team establishes a clear contested footy identity and forward pressure(two integral parts to any 2017-18 afl team) then perhaps that means Mckenzie, Sexton, Wigg, Rosa Young can come into the side and thrive. But I think Dew needs to establish a hard edge and a clear structure at the Suns first, and hopefully he does a better job of that than Mark Neeld did in 2012-13 at the Dee's.

I do love a team creation!

Team for Round 1 next year. (I don't think Day will be right round 1, so I have left him out)

Joyce - May - Harbrow

Kolodjashnij - Leslie - Scrimshaw

Weller - Swallow - Hanley

Martin - Wright - Ah Chee

Ainsworth - Lynch - Young

Rucks: Witts - Lyons - Hall

Interchange: Miller, Brodie, Barlow, Fiorini

DEF Depth: Mckenzie, Wigg, Thompson, Spencer

MID Depth: Rosa, Lonergan, Sexton, Rischitelli, Shaw, Bowes, Scheer, Schoenfeld, #19

RUCK Depth: Nicholls, Currie, Crossley

FWD Depth: Day (inj), Lemmens, Macpherson
Probably still too light in the centre, some pace on the wings though.

We are probably one super star away from having a very solid midfield, Gaz leaving leaves a gaping hole.

Personally reasonable content with SUNS trade period (not saying our trade period so as to appease bods ;)).
I feel like shifting picks from this year to next was a long term objective so as to give Dew a chance to weigh up the current list and determine what is required. And gives a great hand for whoever will be behind the list management process.
Anyway with how disruptive early 2018 will be I think the strongest side that is most able to adapt to a new game plan and earn some early respect will be more important than development. So have selected the team as such.

J. Harbrow S. May J.Joyce
K. Kolo J. Leslie P. Hanley

J. Witts D. Swallow A. Hall
B. Fiorini J. Lyons L. Weller

A. Young T. Lynch M. Barlow
B. Ainsworth P. Wright J. Martin

T. Miller W. Brodie A. Sexton M. Rosa

As the core group grows into the new game plan and there are more genuine home games filter in the likes of Scrim, Bowes, Arch, Wigg, Scheer, Day (when fit), Spencer, Crossley.

2018 Team - Age at 31/12/17

B: Jesse Joyce (20, 28) Rory Thompson (26, 86) Kade Kolodjashnij (22, 70)
HB: Pearce Hanley (29, 142) Steven May (25, 106) Jarrod Harbrow (29, 202)

R: Jarrod Witts (25, 58) Jarryd Lyons (25, 73) Touk Miller (21, 60)
C: Aaron Hall (27, 97) David Swallow (25, 97) Lachie Weller (21, 47)

HF: Jack Martin (22, 66) Peter Wright (21, 42) Aaron Young (25, 76)
F: Ben Ainsworth (19, 13) Tom Lynch (25, 121) Callum Ah Chee (20, 30)

I: Jack Scrimshaw (19, 4) Jack Bowes (19, 11) Michael Rischitelli (31, 215) Brayden Fiorini (20, 15)

Assumed Day and Barlow were unavailable with their injuries. Hoping to see a lot of games from Ainsworth, Scrimshaw, Brodie and Bowes next season.

I'm a big believer that when a player comes into his 4 th year it's when he takes off and makes his mark on the comp . We have a few in now coming into this window in wright , miller , Weller , Martin , kk with fiorini , ahchee , Joyce just behind them , this I believe is where the stark improvement will come from , but we def need our inside mids in swallow , Lyons , Barlow to stand up and have good years for this to happen.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm a big believer that when a player comes into his 4 th year it's when he takes off and makes his mark on the comp . We have a few in now coming into this window in wright , miller , Weller , Martin , kk with fiorini , ahchee , Joyce just behind them , this I believe is where the stark improvement will come from , but we def need our inside mids in swallow , Lyons , Barlow to stand up and have good years for this to happen.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good point. Everyone laughed at the start of the year when Nth were looking at offering Josh Kelly $1 mil a year. He blew everyone away in his 4th year the same for Matt Crouch and Zach Merrett. Takes 4 pre seasons to get that engine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to see Steve May further up the ground- I know he already plays up to CHF
But Leslie doesn't have the tank or leg speed of Maysie
Start Leslie at full back
Not sure we'll ever see Sam Day again btw
That's a career ending injury for most
Most do well not to walk with a limp for the rest of their lives
Will be over the moon if he can get back to pre-injury abilities

I would like to see Steve May further up the ground- I know he already plays up to CHF
But Leslie doesn't have the tank or leg speed of Maysie
Start Leslie at full back
Not sure we'll ever see Sam Day again btw
That's a career ending injury for most
Most do well not to walk with a limp for the rest of their lives
Will be over the moon if he can get back to pre-injury abilities
May needs to stay as a one on one.. thats where he is best.
I reckon Leslie could move up the ground, he doesnt have a bad kick at all either.

How long can Darcy stay on rookie ? this will be his 3rd season.
You get the feeling the kid will be cut
Sad, but the last couple of years were tailor made at The Suns for rookies to make a name
They don't have the luxury of being "managed" like main list draftees- they have to have an impact when they're called up
That's how it goes on a rookie list
It's probably a testament to most list managers that not too many rookies go on to prove they belonged on a main list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back