May 17, 2002
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Hands off Goodwin or else
By Chief Football Writer MICHELANGELO RUCCI
04jun03

ADELAIDE has taken action to ensure key midfielder Simon Goodwin does not get caught in the kind of maelstrom which suggests Brisbane Brownlow Medallist Jason Akermanis is on the market.

The Crows yesterday revealed they had sought legal advice to stop rival clubs negotiating with 26-year-old Goodwin.
But Adelaide's ultimate move to end the doubt on Goodwin's future – sealing a contract the Crows say they and Goodwin want to sign – is being held up the AFL and AFL Players' Association haggling over the players' next collective wage claims.

Without the new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between the league and the players' union, no AFL club can be sure of its salary cap next season.

Brisbane and Sydney's situation is more complicated.

Their salary caps are further clouded by the AFL Commission's review of their $900,000 and $600,000 bonuses respectively for player-retention and higher costs of living.

Goodwin who, like Akermanis, is out of contract at the end of the season, is one of many high-profile players who are being mentioned as recruiting targets while contract negotiations are being stalled by the lack of a new CBA.

Akermanis is being linked to Sydney while Goodwin yesterday was regarded by one Melbourne-based club as worth a No. 1 draft pick if he went on the market as an out-of-contract player at the end of October.

Goodwin's name has been thrown around football corridors since a television report claimed Adelaide – with as many as 18 players out of contract at the end of the season – would be forced to unload players to stay within the salary cap. Without elaboration, Goodwin was mentioned as a top-line player to be moved on.

Both Adelaide football operations manager John Reid and Goodwin's manager, Max Stevens, yesterday declared a very different scenario.

They state they are working on a new contract to further establish Goodwin as a one-club player. He has been with Adelaide since 1996.

Reid was adamant yesterday: "The Adelaide Football Club is quite clear that it wants Simon Goodwin. And Simon is quite clear that he does not want to leave the Adelaide Football Club. We are negotiating to achieve that. And we also are taking legal advice on how we deal with anyone who wants to say otherwise."

Stevens yesterday said: "We are working with the club and talking about where Simon is at the moment. We are at early stages."

The key issue, added Stevens, was the AFL-AFLPA CBA which could hold player salaries flat or even decrease them.

"It makes it very difficult to negotiate contracts when you do not know if the new CBA is going to increase the salary cap, if there is an increase at all," Stevens said.

"If we knew the salary cap was going up three per cent, we could negotiate a contract that way and factor in CPI increases. As it is now, we have to wait."

Reid agreed. "We'd like to know where we are going," he said. "As it is now we do not know if we are increasing or decreasing our wage bill.

"But one thing we are certain on is that Simon Goodwin is not going anywhere. That is not an issue."

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
Has the fact that Goody is coming out of contract been a reason for his poor form? ie. Mind is not 100% on footy...

I think it's more just a case of standard poor form. In the case of Simon's talent he has to work hard to keep up his high standards - for someone like Andrew McLeod or Darren Jarman the skill is/was 100% natural, if you get what I mean.

If Simon is off the boil fitness-wise or confidence-wise his form will suffer far more noticably than a McLeod, or Fudd would.

Now before you say "but that's what I mean dt!... he's down confidence-wise as he may be worrying about his contract/future" I doubt that's likely - I remember hearing that AFC policy in recent seasons has been to sign players to no longer than 2-year deals at a time, so he (and others) should be used to the process by now.

Has the fact that Goody is coming out of contract been a reason for his poor form? ie. Mind is not 100% on footy...

To be honest with you, I have been wondering whether his poor form has been due to this and possible negotiations with other clubs.

If his heart is not 100% with AFC I would take the No. 1 draft pick and run. The more that time goes by, the more I feel that players who want to be elsewhere should be let go for a fair and reasonable price, not coaxed with extra $$$ etc to stay.

If he wants to remain here, then sign him up ASAP.

I'd hate to see Goodwin go, he's one of my favourites, but you can clearly see the benefits of a player who gives 100% to his club, over those who are doing it for a salary. Look at Johnson at Tigerland and Torney with us.

Just not sure that Goody's heart is 100% with us at the moment. :(

Not sure if it is related but KG was saying on the brekky show on 5AA this morning that he may be dropping a big footy story towards the end of the week concerning one of the local sides - and that it wasn't a good news story.

Hope it's not about Goody but if it is, I agree with napsyd's assessment of the situation. Grab the #1 draft pick an run with it.

Originally posted by macca23
Not sure if it is related but KG was saying on the brekky show on 5AA this morning that he may be dropping a big footy story towards the end of the week concerning one of the local sides - and that it wasn't a good news story.

Hope it's not about Goody but if it is, I agree with napsyd's assessment of the situation. Grab the #1 draft pick an run with it.

Don't you just hate it when someone like KG comes up with a big story but won't say nothing until he's ready!! the guys a bloody ****er,

On Goody i don't think his form has been that bad granted he's not been playing at his most brilliant mid-field best but maybe that's down to Ayresy having to play him out of position due to a lack of forward options in many of the games,

Would hate to lose Simon but if these rumours are true about him wanting to move east then we should get the best deal possible & that would be an early 1st round pick in the draft,

But how often does these contract stories prove misleading & that they usually start there journey out of the office of player managers.

Originally posted by noddy
But how often does these contract stories prove misleading & that they usually start there journey out of the office of player managers.

My personal favourite was McLeod to Brisbane after the 1997 flag.

Originally posted by napsyd
ToJust not sure that Goody's heart is 100% with us at the moment. :(

Sorry but I think that's a disgraceful statement.

He has had a couple of shockers but some good ones as well.

An unsubstantiated rumour that has just been vigoursly denied by the club are your only grounds for saying he wants to be elsewhere

Given all tha bloke has done for our club I think such sentiments are bloody stupdid.

First round draft pick?? Try again. :mad:

Confident AFC will sign up Goody as I genuinely think he wants to stay as long as the money is reasonable (which I'm sure will be with Reidy in charge).

However, there is something not quite right about Goody at the moment. He was burning in the pre-season & looked set for an awesome year. He has still been getting a reasonable amount of possession, but has been not as influential as normal on our games. Hope it is due to the forward structure problems, but reckon it is more than that - ie. either carrying an injury or he has some life distraction.

but reckon it is more than that - ie. either carrying an injury or he has some life distraction.

If only I could've said it so succinctly... people may have replied to my post ;)

Originally posted by Jars458
Sorry but I think that's a disgraceful statement.

He has had a couple of shockers but some good ones as well.

An unsubstantiated rumour that has just been vigoursly denied by the club are your only grounds for saying he wants to be elsewhere

Given all tha bloke has done for our club I think such sentiments are bloody stupdid.

First round draft pick?? Try again. :mad:

Whilst I appreciate your sentiment I am just making a personal observation, which in no way is meant to denigrate the player and is certainly not meant to belittle his achievements with us. I am PERSONALLY not sure his heart is 100% with us. The rumour certainly makes you think and you can be fairly sure there is some level of truth in it, even if that is only that other clubs are after Goodwin.

Would you say Kane Johnson's heart was 100% with us in retrospect?

Clubs vigorously deny all sorts of things, true and untrue. Ours is no different.

Do not for one moment think that I would ditch the man if he was AFC true and true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people are being a bit harsh on Goodwins form so far this year.

I will admit he started very slowly and was playing poor but he has lifted and returned close to his best.

We obviously have very high expectations of him and he has been better but he has been far from bad in the last month or so.

Goodwin Leaving???

Has anyone read the article where it says that Adelaide CANNOT sign a deal at the moment because of this collective bargaining agreement going on now they both want to stay but they dont know how much is in their salary cap yet and so on, there is no way Simon is leaving, thyey just have to wait until the Players Association are finished F@#@!%G around.
They are seeking legal advice over it so they dont lose him or something because they are ready and so is Simon to sign a contract.
Cheers
Jason;)

Would you say Kane Johnson's heart was 100% with us in retrospect?

I would. There were rumours all throughout his time with us that he was leaving. Evetually one of these rumours came true. Johnson spent weeks after the season last year trying to decide what he wanted to do. And up until that time he hadn't made up his mind and was 100% committed to us until then.

That's what I think.

Re: Goodwin Leaving???

Originally posted by adelcrows
Has anyone read the article where it says that Adelaide CANNOT sign a deal at the moment because of this collective bargaining agreement going on now they both want to stay but they dont know how much is in their salary cap yet and so on, there is no way Simon is leaving, thyey just have to wait until the Players Association are finished F@#@!%G around.
They are seeking legal advice over it so they dont lose him or something because they are ready and so is Simon to sign a contract.
Cheers
Jason;)

If they are so sure Simon is going to sign, why would they be seeking legal advice to stop other clubs talking to him?

Originally posted by ****
I would. There were rumours all throughout his time with us that he was leaving. Evetually one of these rumours came true. Johnson spent weeks after the season last year trying to decide what he wanted to do. And up until that time he hadn't made up his mind and was 100% committed to us until then.

That's what I think.

I think he gave us his best, but his heart was at least in part elsewhere. I can't believe that he didn't even think about a possible move to the Tigers until after the season was complete.

From what I have seen of him at the Tigers, he is a marginally better player but importantly a much more consistent player with them. This is my point about the value of heart and mind. Some of this may come down to form and lack of injury, but I think there is more to it than that.

We've discussed similar before re Reilly and it will be interesting to see what happens with the kid. Ultimately money is not the biggest motivational factor IMO.

Re: Re: Goodwin Leaving???

If they are so sure Simon is going to sign, why would they be seeking legal advice to stop other clubs talking to him?

To keep distractions away.

And if you can help it why not make it tougher for teams to plant a seed in his mind that may eventually lead to him leaving.

A football club would be neglectful to assume there isn't even the slightest chance of someone leaving.

Re: Re: Re: Goodwin Leaving???

Originally posted by ****
To keep distractions away.

And if you can help it why not make it tougher for teams to plant a seed in his mind that may eventually lead to him leaving.

A football club would be neglectful to assume there isn't even the slightest chance of someone leaving.

Very true.

I think Goodwin's form in the last couple of weeks has been quite good. He was one of our best against the Bulldogs and he put in a fair effort against the Cats.

Originally posted by macca23

He just said there is no story to tell on the Sports Show.

It got to do with alleged drug use but apparently there is nothing in it. ;)

I better keep my mouth shut

Re: Re: Goodwin Leaving???

Because he is still under contract and as such other clubs are not allowed to speak to him until the end of the year. Those are the rules but not many clubs follow it.

Fremantle went through a similar thing with Pavlich during 2001 season. Admittedly Pavlich had another year to run on his contract but the principle is very similar.

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
He just said there is no story to tell on the Sports Show.

It got to do with alleged drug use but apparently there is nothing in it. ;)

I better keep my mouth shut
Yeah heard the rumour some time ago about 2 of AFC's leaders & alleged recreational use. Found it hard to believe given that they are drug tested. Funny how the Sports show picks up on this much later. Rucci will be writing about it next year...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back