Rumour Gossip From Burleigh Hill - 2024 Rumours Thread (SUNS Posters Only*)

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn’t say Richmond would pay him $1.4M next year if he played elsewhere. Simply that Richmond would pay him out prorated for services rendered. We would then pay him $700-$800k+ for 2024. In other words, Dusty would not be out of pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If they traded him to us they don't need to pay him a cent.

If they traded him to us they don't need to pay him a cent.
In this hypothetical…

If they trade for a good pick, they would have to pay something as Dusty, at his age, isn’t worth that. Plenty of examples in recent times (and not even all involving us!) of this happening.

If Dusty leaves Richmond for no real pick gain, then yeah, the Suns pay the whole salary.

If Martin had a back-ended contract, it would be the right thing for Richmond to do, especially for someone who has performed admirably throughout that contract.

Suns refused to pay Bowes his money on a back-ended deal.

Not the same level of player. Not the same level of money. Same principal.

Clubs and players are obligated to do nothing beyond what their contract says. That’s the point of a contract. If one party wants to get out of said contract, the other party tries to get the best deal for themselves.

Dusty is a Richmond great and they probably won’t want bad blood. But I wouldn’t expect anything too nice.

If Martin had a back-ended contract, it would be the right thing for Richmond to do, especially for someone who has performed admirably throughout that contract.

If Dusty wanted to move to another club, Richmond would probably make it a relatively easy trade out of respect for him. (take a 3rd rather than a 2nd maybe)

Richmond doesn't owe GC (or any other club) the same consideration however. If you want him, you pay his contract...if you want Richmond to pay (some of) his contract, then you'd need to pay Richmond more in the only other currencies available...draft picks or players.

Considering we gave away pick 7 last year to free up less salary cap than we're probably talking here, I think it's fair to say that we'd be looking at a lot more than a late 2nd to convince Richmond to take on a large share of his salary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back