Rumour Gossip From Burleigh Hill - 2024 Rumours Thread (SUNS Posters Only*)

Remove this Banner Ad

We will now probably just trade pick 4 for a future first and propel that team to a premiership...

Where is the promised mature talent that we were suppose to be bringing in this year?
Agreed. I’m growing tired of building with the future.

Sometimes it’s all a club can do, but I’d like to have the choice and options at least to decide what to do with our picks.

We will now probably just trade pick 4 for a future first and propel that team to a premiership...

Where is the promised mature talent that we were suppose to be bringing in this year?
It’s almost like Craig Cameron has just been feeding us that line year on year to cover his ass and distract us from his incompetence.

“Yeah we couldn’t quite land any players this year because we f*cked the cap and are still trying to fix it, but NEXT YEAR I am going to bring in so many players who have definitely said they want to come here, thanks to all the excellent work we have done this year to give us cap/pick flexibility.”

Rinse and repeat.

Now that our cap is apparently alright, I imagine the excuse will move to “we just didn’t have the right picks to execute a trade given the amount of points we need and we also wanted to secure flexibility for next year where we have another strong crop of academy boys”.

Trade period have not even started yet. Wait for Dimma’s magic.
It’s almost like Craig Cameron has just been feeding us that line year on year to cover his ass and distract us from his incompetence.

“Yeah we couldn’t quite land any players this year because we f*cked the cap and are still trying to fix it, but NEXT YEAR I am going to bring in so many players who have definitely said they want to come here, thanks to all the excellent work we have done this year to give us cap/pick flexibility.”

Rinse and repeat.

Now that our cap is apparently alright, I imagine the excuse will move to “we just didn’t have the right picks to execute a trade given the amount of points we need and we also wanted to secure flexibility for next year where we have another strong crop of academy boys”.
I would say that it was Evans and Cochrane talking up A graders interest in joining us. If we do have a cap space (who knows) it's up to Dimma now to attract players but I would say we still need to play finals to have a reasonable shot at landing a big fish.

It's the coach, senior players making a pitch, not Cameron :p

As for Cameron, I would love to know if we over-paid Flanders. People here would go crazy if Flanders did not re-sign. On the other hand, if we overpaid - that's where these cap pressures are coming from.

We just need to start winning. It affects everything - attracting players, retention, contract negotiations. From that perspective, 2023 was a bad failure.

Last edited:
I feel like this year we did plenty of moaning (and rightly so) about our lack of a constant dangerous threat up forward (Rankine). Or the lack of silky delivery into the forward line.

We must really not want one that ticks both of those boxes and at the same time would be a genuine marquee player for us. IMO there’s considerable value in him, even in the short term of a couple years.
Martin is worth the money just for the attendance factor. Many more would come each week just to watch him and on one leg he's a better player than Ace, Rosas, Holman, Sexton, Hollands etc. Still hoping that there is someone inside the walls who has a complete vision - otherwise 2024 will be the same as all the others that preceded it.

Martin is worth the money just for the attendance factor. Many more would come each week just to watch him and on one leg he's a better player than Ace, Rosas, Holman, Sexton, Hollands etc. Still hoping that there is someone inside the walls who has a complete vision - otherwise 2024 will be the same as all the others that preceded it.
Shouldn't Dimma make a difference? We took a step back under Dew in 2023 compared to 2022.

I would like to see Martin in our colours too next year but not for 1.4M and pick 4. He will still be on one leg in 2024 but for 400-600K and no pick.

Last edited:
Shouldn't Dimma make a difference? We took a step back under Dew in 2023 compared to 2022.

I would like to see Martin in our colours too next year but not for 1.4M and pick 4. He will still be on one leg in 2024 but for 400-600K and no pick.
The problem with waiting for the 2024 trade period is that you’ve just moved the dangling carrot again.

Martin is a match winner, a difference maker, an attractive proposition for crowds etc. He’s all of that now and those opportunities just don’t come very often for us. Last year Adelaide ‘paid too much’ for Rankine, but I bet you everything I own they’re happy with him.

IF Martin’s available make it happen while our kids are still united, after all, another crap year in 2024 and they may be looking for an out.

PS try to make the deal semi-palatable though 😂

The problem with waiting for the 2024 trade period is that you’ve just moved the dangling carrot again.

Martin is a match winner, a difference maker, an attractive proposition for crowds etc. He’s all of that now and those opportunities just don’t come very often for us. Last year Adelaide ‘paid too much’ for Rankine, but I bet you everything I own they’re happy with him.

IF Martin’s available make it happen while our kids are still united, after all, another crap year in 2024 and they may be looking for an out.

PS try to make the deal semi-palatable though 😂
So are you going for it or not, pick 4 + 1.4M? :p Got to make up your mind, haha.

Dusty is too expensive, Richmond don't want to pay any of his salary, and trading pick 4 in an capacity for him would be worse than the Weller trade. It he supposedly has so much football ahead of him like people in here claim, he can come for free next year.
Dimma the supposed master coach will make all the difference in team performance next season, as has been sprouted on here multiple times.

So are you going for it or not, pick 4 + 1.4M? :p Got to make up your mind, haha.
I’d probably try for some ambassadorial money, or to spread it out.

But yeah I’d do a two or three year deal just to get him. If he turns us into an exciting, dangerous team in the short term, what’s the value of an intangible like that if it really steps us hard toward a premiership?

I’d probably try for some ambassadorial money, or to spread it out.

But yeah I’d do a two or three year deal just to get him. If he turns us into an exciting, dangerous team in the short term, what’s the value of an intangible like that if it really steps us hard toward a premiership?
A combination - ambassadorial money if possible, spread over 4 years even if he doesn't play for that long and downgrade pick 4 to two lower picks and use one as part of this deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A combination - ambassadorial money if possible, spread over 4 years even if he doesn't play for that long and downgrade pick 4 to two lower picks and use one as part of this deal.
All good suggestions but at the moment it does not look like Tigers and Martin would agree to do it.

3 years is all we need from Dusty
I presume everyone is going with the hopes and prayers philosophy that all our players will eat their Magic Beanz and be 20% better next year after a miraculous 3 month pre-season?
Sam Collins will no longer get monstered by forward gorillas?
Benny Ainsworth will start kicking 2 goals a game?
etc etc
We need a harnessing fire moment that fast forwards us on the evolutionary pathway
While I dont believe for a moment he is even remotely considering coming Martin is exactly what the Club needs
And yes we'd have to pay up

I presume everyone is going with the hopes and prayers philosophy that all our players will eat their Magic Beanz and be 20% better next year after a miraculous 3 month pre-season?
etc etc
We need a harnessing fire moment that fast forwards us on the evolutionary pathway
While I dont believe for a moment he is even remotely considering coming Martin is exactly what the Club needs
I have to agree, it's not like he's just any star player that's somewhat gettable he's the exact type of player we need in the front half of the ground. If it's off the table then I would even rekindle the tarryn thomas interest.

etc etc
Dimma will fix all those issues.

Martin would be a good get but Bolton would be my choice from Tigers. Show your magic, Dimma.

All good suggestions but at the moment it does not look like Tigers and Martin would agree to do it.
Reckon tigers might look at taking pick 4 this year rather than whatever compo they get next year.

Only drama is the money

Dusty was on a back-ended contract. That means Richmond owes him money for services he has already provided. Out of respect, if he left, they would pay him that money.
There would be an outcry if they dishonored him and didn’t pay.
Therefore, we would not be paying $1.4M. More like $700 or $800k, as a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Dusty was on a back-ended contract. That means Richmond owes him money for services he has already provided. Out of respect, if he left, they would pay him that money.
There would be an outcry if they dishonored him and didn’t pay.
Therefore, we would not be paying $1.4M. More like $700 or $800k, as a guess.

Out of respect, Tigers wouldn't pay him 1.4 mil for next season if he's not there imo. Why should they ?

I'm not big on contracts and their ramifications so I could be way wrong with how I see things......but imo Richmond only owe him money if he honours his contract and plays 1 more season......so Dusty is guaranteed 1.4 mil if he plays 2024 for Richmond, and that's fine with me..........if he chooses to move clubs for 2024, then Richmond can rightfully ask for compo for a contracted player., as in a trade....and they wouldn't need to pay him anything.
But you're saying Dusty would accept losing out on 600-700K, to move Clubs.

I'll ask this question.....would you take a 50% cut in your pay to move on from your job....

Dusty can play 2024 at Richmond, we can keep Pick 4/5 (christ knows what Cameron will do with that) and IF Dusty wants to head north next year, and the Suns believe we still need him, then we can get him as a free agent.......

Dusty gets his 1.4mil for 2024, we don't pay 7-800k for 2024, and we get to spend pick 4 on that BIG FISH they keep telling us, is coming........;)

Out of respect, Tigers wouldn't pay him 1.4 mil for next season if he's not there imo. Why should they ?

I'm not big on contracts and their ramifications so I could be way wrong with how I see things......but imo Richmond only owe him money if he honours his contract and plays 1 more season......so Dusty is guaranteed 1.4 mil if he plays 2024 for Richmond, and that's fine with me..........if he chooses to move clubs for 2024, then Richmond can rightfully ask for compo for a contracted player., as in a trade....and they wouldn't need to pay him anything.

I'll ask this question.....would you take a 50% cut in your pay to move on from your job....

Dusty can play 2024 at Richmond, we can keep Pick 4/5 (christ knows what Cameron will do with that) and IF Dusty wants to head north next year, and the Suns believe we still need him, then we can get him as a free agent.......

Dusty gets his 1.4mil for 2024, we don't pay 7-800k for 2024, and we get to spend pick 4 on that BIG FISH they keep telling us, is coming........;)
Big fish what big fish:)

What if… Dusty was the “big fish”?

I didn’t say Richmond would pay him $1.4M next year if he played elsewhere. Simply that Richmond would pay him out prorated for services rendered. We would then pay him $700-$800k+ for 2024. In other words, Dusty would not be out of pocket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back