Goulburn Valley FL 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Three years is a long time if you aren't happy at a club for whatever reason.
I just think players should have the freedom to choose where they play footy each year.

Not sure if restraint of trade would put a finish to that but idea has merit.
A contract in itself is a restraint of trade, however, they are hardly worth the paper they are written on. If a player was to be in breach, how many clubs would have the money to pursue this? If a club was to be in breach, a player could go the "employee line" and bring in Fairwork etc. Unless AFL Victoria is prepared to provide a contract framework with sanctions for breaches then it is simply a matter of hope for the best. As it stands, you could sign me today for $500 per game and in March I could sign elsewhere for $600 a game and the best you could hope for is the court ordering me to perform my part. No compensation or the like. Would I be cleared, how much can you spend?

Why? Three years is a long time if you aren't happy at a club for whatever reason.
I just think players should have the freedom to choose where they play footy each year.
Why ?
1. To reduce the likelihood of clubs spending up big in one year and then spending the next 10 years trying to save the club , languishing at the bottom of the ladder .
2. To avoid mercenaries signing large contracts , not living up to expectations and then moving on to the next victim .
3. To encourage clubs and players to think a little more before making short sighted arrangements .
4. Will most likely see clubs and players invest more time into the well being of each other .

Why ?
1. To reduce the likelihood of clubs spending up big in one year and then spending the next 10 years trying to save the club , languishing at the bottom of the ladder .
Clubs in every league do this. Usually 2-3 years and then fall away. Do you want the league to reduce standard?
2. To avoid mercenaries signing large contracts , not living up to expectations and then moving on to the next victim .
The players only accept the offer the club makes. We seem to have alot of people on this forum stating players only playing for money. As per above clubs offer what they need to in recruiting these players. Have a look at the leadership and committee of the club not the individual as they only take what's on offer.
3. To encourage clubs and players to think a little more before making short sighted arrangements .
As per above look at the management of the club by the committee. Some want short term success but in general the teams who are competitive every year have had long term stability on the committee and know what it takes to run a club.
4. Will most likely see clubs and players invest more time into the well being of each other .

As a player accepting cash with expectations surely the player has to perform. Once again the better clubs always look after their players and usually this means the player is obligated to stay at the club to repay the help.

As a player accepting cash with expectations surely the player has to perform. Once again the better clubs always look after their players and usually this means the player is obligated to stay at the club to repay the help.
Not disagreeing with your thoughts on well run clubs and/or players being the ones offered the cash nor that quality people feel obliged to repay .
The fluctuation in many clubs budget between some seasons is increasing , as are the differences between the top and bottom sides in all leagues .
If reducing the standard of the top side in a competition is the price that has to be paid for equity , so be it .
The higher the peak the lower the trough , deeper the hole the harder, and more money in this case , is required to get out of it .
What ideas do you have to assist equity and to reduce the unsustainable spending required to remain competitive , which is the case for many clubs in many leagues ?

Any love for making contracts a minimum of 3 years and allowing players to be cleared only once every 3 years ?

One of the more stupid statements I have read. How many people actually stay in the same work job for 3 years? so how can a player commit for 3 years? who knows where his personal life/career/other factors will take him.
Agree something has to be done but this is plan dumb. Get real.

Would be much more worthwhile talking about a points system.

Also hearing Brendan Hollow was on 1100 at Tatura and moving to Rochy for 1500 and also to play with close mates.

One of the more stupid statements I have read. How many people actually stay in the same work job for 3 years? so how can a player commit for 3 years? who knows where his personal life/career/other factors will take him.
Agree something has to be done but this is plan dumb. Get real.

Would be much more worthwhile talking about a points system.
Yea criticize a suggestion based on one point . A contracted player by any chance ?
There are people who stay within jobs for 10-15 years and funny enough both employer and employee are generally a lot happier .
The administrative workload , week to week restriction on coaches and others flaws created by a point system make it a very very poor option IMO .

Shouldn't it be the responsibility of the club to offer contracts to good people. I would like to know a player who has written his own offer and signed it of himself. instead of making it harder for the player how about a little more responsibility is put back on the clubs offering this money.

Put more effort and knowledge into recruiting the right people. loyallty has to go both ways and it has been shown on numerous occasions that clubs cannot be loyal to a player.

hahaha love the close mates line these days in footy...
ok lets get some talk and name the top 10 gvl players as we speak???

Paul Newman
Jason Morgan
Mitch Kendell
Saad Saad
Paul Colbert
Brendan Hollow
Jason Eagle
Luke Morgan
Dan Lovick
Tyson Sidebottom

(No Order)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grant had an interrupted year, GV followers haven't seen the best of him yet. Would have Daniel Lewis in there somewhere

1.paul newman
2.luke morgan
3.dan lovick
4.saad saad
5.jason eagle
6.quade johnstone
7.ash watson
8.jason morgan
9.paul colbert
10.tom sheldon
unlucky players- Brendan hollow,brodie avard,shaun huy,nick allan
dan lewis only had couple of standout games in my eyes but im sure anyone from m,pna would disagree as they seen him everyweek... always a debate with this stuff..

1.paul newman
2.luke morgan
3.dan lovick
4.saad saad
5.jason eagle
6.quade johnstone
7.ash watson
8.jason morgan
9.paul colbert
10.tom sheldon
unlucky players- Brendan hollow,brodie avard,shaun huy,nick allan
dan lewis only had couple of standout games in my eyes but im sure anyone from m,pna would disagree as they seen him everyweek... always a debate with this stuff..

you must be a swans supporter. Your number 6 is a joke. Had a good finals series but to put ahead of some of the players you have. And even other youngsters like Matt Dibella (i think BnF winner at united)

1. Paul Newman
2. Rhys Archard
3. Saad Saad
4. Simon Seddon (at his best)
5. Paul Colbert
6. Dan Lovick
7. Brendan Hollow
8. Luke Morgan
9. Jason Eagle
10. Brendan Liddel

haha well u must be a Echuca supporter how could archard be 2!! Yes was great player in his prime but not sure his fitness has him able to reach great heights and if any Echuca player had a case its buckley.. Di bella didn't win b and f brad Henderson did.. johnstone was runner up in swans b and f I think and no I barrack for shepp bears hence why I had nick allan in my unlucky players!!

seddon also is way to high!! he would be top 3 if he was in a footy team skiing downhill towards goals...would like to see more of a defensive side if he is in top 10

haha well u must be a Echuca supporter how could archard be 2!! Yes was great player in his prime but not sure his fitness has him able to reach great heights and if any Echuca player had a case its buckley.. Di bella didn't win b and f brad Henderson did.. johnstone was runner up in swans b and f I think and no I barrack for shepp bears hence why I had nick allan in my unlucky players!!
Rhys Archard has apparently signed with Moama today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back