Goulburn Valley FL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't heard talk of them looking to go back I'd say it's a bit easier to compete in the GV. They don't look to have gone near as hard since they Won that Premiership but I guess that was Pre Cap too. Having a Coach in Bendigo and key players who are locals based in Melbourne wouldn't drive the training standards too high either. A Coach that could bring 3 or 4 quality too add to what they've got could have them pushing top 3 though.
Interesting because even when they were so dominant it was made up of local talent and since then they haven’t really had a good crack at heavily recruiting from the outside. Will always be a sleeping giant with the amount of quality they can produce from within.

Not sure they could offer anywhere near as much as the vafa that Waite gets.

The pig rockliffe may be a chance, but he'd have offers all over Oz.

Maybe they need an outsider to coach, might get a more out of the locals with a new set of eyes

Bit old to start a Coaching Career Roota but hopefully for Saints fans one of their local guns like Jared Waite or Tommy Rockliffe take it on.

Not sure they could offer anywhere near as much as the vafa that Waite gets.

The pig rockliffe may be a chance, but he'd have offers all over Oz.

Maybe they need an outsider to coach, might get a more out of the locals with a new set of eyes
Yeh they will atleast be in a position to get to 1st Base and make a play at them.

Anyone who has Fox footy: get on The Lost season'. A doco that encapsulates all our footy seasons. It focuses on Finley in the Murray League but about the impact on small communities.

Please watch!

Watched last night Silver good show I love watching that sort of show should send to AFL boffins might jog there memory about grass roots footy

There has been incidences locally where umpires have instigated and engaged in grabbing players , officials and in one case belted a spectator . Where the league has raised the issue / investigated the umpires have been far from happy .
It’s why it makes it interesting that the umpires came out at the start of the year and released a public statement including to the media insinuating abuse was out of control and then we saw blokes getting large penalties at tribunal for minor breaches .
'Instances' Roar not 'Incidences' ... blame Ringo! 😎

'Incidents' would have worked. 🤣 Sorry mate I am clearly bored with no local footy on offer.

Thankfully the GV board came to their collective (or singular) sense(s).

What was the ruling over in the league you are involved in?
No premierships , minor premiers acknowledged as they always are . The ladder after the home and away will show who was the best side to that point .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep it is, he'd be a pretty handy as even a player, it seems that most coaches last 2 years now before giving up on the role, especially playing coaches, maybe today's coaches are required to wear too many hats and it burns them out quicker being in the role

How many clubs are after a coach mate? it seems pretty settled this year.

Yep it is, he'd be a pretty handy as even a player, it seems that most coaches last 2 years now before giving up on the role, especially playing coaches, maybe today's coaches are required to wear too many hats and it burns them out quicker being in the role
Interesting to see Kyneton employ a FT administrator. This would easethe pressure on coaches with the right appointment. Think we will see more of this in the next couple of years.

increases pressure on fundraising though to pay that person’s salary plus then the players etc

The club would need to be very organised behind this position. Specific targets for sponsorship, engagement with members and contributions, grant applications, contracts, facility upgrades…

I’ve often wondered how much impact could be had if a ‘gun’ club volunteer had a full day to work on club items and also do what they were already doing behind the scenes, not by simply moving that to their “paid” day.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A lot of marketability at club level is based on senior success and somewhat on marquee players . Salary cap and players points has limited the ability of clubs to bring in mass marque players .
Whilst with GVL choosing to play more in the traditional Saturday Arvo time slot , I’d suspect marketing opportunities are being even further hit .
IIRC ( ringo1 could probably confirm) Echuca went down the path of a full time administrator with Ben Wilson a few years ago , pre salary cap and player points .
Match day secretary remains the biggest or hardest job to fill and with some leagues moving to 9-5 for their admin and maintaining the same requirement yet adding things like live scoring that job has only got more difficult .

Last edited:
Anyone who has Fox footy: get on The Lost season'. A doco that encapsulates all our footy seasons. It focuses on Finley in the Murray League but about the impact on small communities.

Please watch!
I’d also recommend reading ‘The boys club’ written by Mick Warner .

Reading might even help your spelling Silver Tongue . ;):p

The club would need to be very organised behind this position. Specific targets for sponsorship, engagement with members and contributions, grant applications, contracts, facility upgrades…

I’ve often wondered how much impact could be had if a ‘gun’ club volunteer had a full day to work on club items and also do what they were already doing behind the scenes, not by simply moving that to their “paid” day.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Employing the person as permanent part time or full time and enrolling them into a traineeship course (such as Cert 3 in business admin) would mean 50% of the persons wage are reimbursed to the club (capped at 7k per quarter)
I'd be amazed if more clubs don't do it for any new paid employees (including coaches)

Now is the perfect time to try it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back