Goulburn Valley FL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Won’t be any footy in Nth Vic for a while after a clown stopped in at Euroa Glenrowan nd other sites while driving to NsW and back
Won’t be any footy in Nth Vic for a while after a clown stopped in at Euroa Glenrowan nd other sites while driving to NsW and back
But its ok for Shane Edwards to drive to Sydney

many clubs across many leagues would struggle to field 2 sides if Melbourne based players weren’t available.

playing without them would be harmful to clubs and devalue the competition
Agree mate. Equity is the issue in this instance as many clubs have local players as well as 'recruits' based in Melbourne. Playing without them is more likely to destroy a club in the current situation as not playing for an indefinite period.
From what I have heard there appears to be a consensus that within some regional leagues there is up to 9% of players within metro postcodes. Which leaves over 90% of footballers and allegedly over 97% of netballers that would be still be able to play . Many of those being the hardest to re-engage this season after having last year off and felt likely to be the hardest to re-engage after this or any subsequent break .
It’s known that playing without metro players would affect some clubs more than others , but it appears most leagues are prepared to wear that on the understanding it will improve the opportunity of maintaining numbers post this break .

I would think that it would upwards of 25% of senior footballers, coming from melbourne, many clubs it could be higher, I'm sure a club like ky who is aiming for a top 3 spot on the ladder would be hit hard, as many of their locals live in Melbourne. I can't see the clubs voting to recontinue senior footy, with crowd restrictions in place with no metro footballers travelling. A big part of country footy is the crowd, it's a gathering of the community and the gv is semi professional comp, where there's a higher influx of travelling players. It sounds like the police don't want a ring of steel anyway, so looks like we'll all be stuck at home for at least another week.
Maybe just the cool the jets a bit roar, footy will come back, it's not a race to see who gets back first, I'd suggest whilst in lockdown you read the story of the tortoise and the hare 🤣🤣🤣

From what I have heard there appears to be a consensus that within some regional leagues there is up to 9% of players within metro postcodes. Which leaves over 90% of footballers and allegedly over 97% of netballers that would be still be able to play . Many of those being the hardest to re-engage this season after having last year off and felt likely to be the hardest to re-engage after this or any subsequent break .
It’s known that playing without metro players would affect some clubs more than others , but it appears most leagues are prepared to wear that on the understanding it will improve the opportunity of maintaining numbers post this break .

I would think that it would upwards of 25% of senior footballers, coming from melbourne, many clubs it could be higher, I'm sure a club like ky who is aiming for a top 3 spot on the ladder would be hit hard, as many of their locals live in Melbourne. I can't see the clubs voting to recontinue senior footy, with crowd restrictions in place with no metro footballers travelling. A big part of country footy is the crowd, it's a gathering of the community and the gv is semi professional comp, where there's a higher influx of travelling players. It sounds like the police don't want a ring of steel anyway, so looks like we'll all be stuck at home for at least another week.
Maybe just the cool the jets a bit roar, footy will come back, it's not a race to see who gets back first, I'd suggest whilst in lockdown you read the story of the tortoise and the hare 🤣🤣🤣
The figure I quoted , 9% , was across all grades not just senior level , I believe GVL is within that range .
I wrote , and stated , was what I believe to be the consensus amongst leagues, not necessarily my view .
Which makes the remainder of your post irrelevant .
I am not trying to change anyone’s view on what they feel will or should happen, merely providing factual information , which unfortunately seems to get lost in translation .

Yep that's ok roar, yep I assumed the 9% was all comps, but I can't see clubs wanting to play senior footy, just my opinion, as a lot of time and money is put into winning a senior flag at any level of country footy and to be told your losing some pretty important players but just make do with what you have I don't think will cut it, nor will playing with no crowds in in the interim until it's all lifted

The figure I quoted , 9% , was across all grades not just senior level , I believe GVL is within that range .
I wrote , and stated , was what I believe to be the consensus amongst leagues, not necessarily my view .
Which makes the remainder of your post irrelevant .
I am not trying to change anyone’s view on what they feel will or should happen, merely providing factual information , which unfortunately seems to get lost in translation .

Yep that's ok roar, yep I assumed the 9% was all comps, but I can't see clubs wanting to play senior footy, just my opinion, as a lot of time and money is put into winning a senior flag at any level of country footy and to be told your losing some pretty important players but just make do with what you have I don't think will cut it, nor will playing with no crowds in in the interim until it's all lifted
Righto Trent your on Repeat. I think a Leagues flexibility to adapt the Fixture suitably would also be a factor in how keen they are to wait a few weeks to resume. Hopefully there has been some conversations going on with Cricket Competitions about the ability of going into October if required.

Righto Trent your on Repeat. I think a Leagues flexibility to adapt the Fixture suitably would also be a factor in how keen they are to wait a few weeks to resume. Hopefully there has been some conversations going on with Cricket Competitions about the ability of going into October if required.
Might be on repeat, but he's just stating what the majority are thinking

I think there would be plenty of young blokes that would rather get out and there and play than wait a few weeks for 3 or 4 blokes from Melbourne to be ticked off to play. Both sides would have guys missing anyway. Also an avenue for Melbourne players that are being paid through the Books to use their right to travel to the Country and work under the restrictions.

Not sure that footys an essential service

I think there would be plenty of young blokes that would rather get out and there and play than wait a few weeks for 3 or 4 blokes from Melbourne to be ticked off to play. Both sides would have guys missing anyway. Also an avenue for Melbourne players that are being paid through the Books to use their right to travel to the Country and work under the restrictions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing without crowds is a whole new discussion .
Aside from the ability to play into October due to cricket the AFL GF date is a major obstacle . Many leagues play Saturday / Sunday finals until their GF and naturally enough won’t go up against AFL GF .
I think this whole forums benefit is that people are able and encouraged to share views which may not be the view of the majority without repercussion or being targeted , let’s hope it stays that way .

Playing without crowds is a whole new discussion .
Aside from the ability to play into October due to cricket the AFL GF date is a major obstacle . Many leagues play Saturday / Sunday finals until their GF and naturally enough won’t go up against AFL GF .
I think this whole forums benefit is that people are able and encouraged to share views which may not be the view of the majority without repercussion or being targeted , let’s hope it stays that way .

Think it's time for a Bigfooty amnesty. Last year we nearly ate our own. It is also the time for those who operate under 'new' user names to be turned back at the 'gate'. After all, a few popped up when this happened last year but were exposed for who they really were.

Guys let's just put footy into perspective here, I'm sure the town of Mansfield would be far more worried about if the ski season is canned again and the impacts that will have on their town, to playing footy.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but having a shortened footy season is pretty low on the radar to what else is going on in the state, what's a couple of weeks waiting time to have a kick in the scheme of things

Fwiw and following today’s announcement there is information circulating that regional sports can commence in decent numbers from midnight this Thursday . What restrictions regarding things like crowd numbers has not yet been disclosed .

Edit : Games would need to be played in NSW with no metro players .

Last edited:
Fwiw and following today’s announcement there is information circulating that regional sports can commence in decent numbers from midnight this Thursday . What restrictions regarding things like crowd numbers has not yet been disclosed .

So you could do that without Crowd restrictions could you Roar? Play at the NSW Clubs?

Training groups of 10 ?

So you could do that without Crowd restrictions could you Roar? Play at the NSW Clubs?
Yes that is correct .
I don’t know of clubs or the GVL leagues view on it . But the crowd that would flock to a Echuca v ?? held at Moama would be massive with the remainder of the state unable to play . Likewise another club at say a Barooga .

Yes that is correct .
I don’t know of clubs or the GVL leagues view on it . But the crowd that would flock to a Echuca v ?? held at Moama would be massive with the remainder of the state unable to play . Likewise another club at say a Barooga .
Echuca are fixtured to play Mooroopna on June 12th up their so that would work. The Sunday could work as well if Moama are meant to be playing at home.

Think it's time for a Bigfooty amnesty. Last year we nearly ate our own. It is also the time for those who operate under 'new' user names to be turned back at the 'gate'. After all, a few popped up when this happened last year but were exposed for who they really were.
You're right ringo... it is a lot like last year

Ringo mate gotta say ya did accuse me of being your mate oz so cmon

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back