Goulburn Valley FL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like non playing coaches aren't included in the cap, would a club pay someone 80k plus as a non playing coach, full-time admin duties coach junior set up
Playing devils advocate it could create massive issues for clubs if the coach is performing well in one role and not the other . Great at attracting sponsorship , no good with coaching , clubs moves them on and has unhappy sponsors or vice versa .
A reasonably local club has a $50 k coaching plus a selection if full time jobs available for a coach for next year .
I’d be shocked if Tat haven’t tried to get Ogier .

If that's the case and they all play, just the VFL players would be worth minimum 4 points. That's 20 points for 5 players with another 17 players to fit into 22 points. Good on United for getting on the front foot and recruiting, but once again why the points system is killing country footy. I honestly believe the GVFL need to go rogue and make a few rules up for themselves that will help improve the league. The time is now before a once great competition is decimated by lack of imagination and direction.
Your last sentenace is interesting .
I have reliably been told ex AFL players have watched GVL and localish leagues games after being approached by GVL clubs and prefer the other league due to the improved standard .
I was also recently told that a ex GVL indentity , who has seen a bit of MFL and GVL this year, thinks MFL side Tongala would clearly be top 2-3 in the GVL this year .
If true, I think it’s a real shame for the whole area which needs a strong and vibrant GVL .

I have reliably been told ex AFL players have watched GVL and localish leagues games after being approached by GVL clubs and prefer the other league due to the improved standard .
I was also recently told that a ex GVL indentity , who has seen a bit of MFL and GVL this year, thinks MFL side Tongala would clearly be top 2-3 in the GVL this year .
If true, I think it’s a real shame for the whole area which needs a strong and vibrant GVL .

So we’re does that put Cobram and Mulwala then as they sit above Tonny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all respect ludacris to think that of tonny. They’d struggle to make the finals. I’d argue shepp and the swans would also beat them. I think people give the Murray league a bit too much credit when comparing with the gv.

No way Tonny are better than Kyabram Seymour Mooroopna or rochy who all sit around the bottom of the six.
Gv might not be at its strongest but it’s still a ways ahead of the Murray league.

With all respect ludacris to think that of tonny. They’d struggle to make the finals. I’d argue shepp and the swans would also beat them. I think people give the Murray league a bit too much credit when comparing with the gv.

No way Tonny are better than Kyabram Seymour Mooroopna or rochy who all sit around the bottom of the six.
Gv might not be at its strongest but it’s still a ways ahead of the Murray league.
I think it's more of the standard of the league has gone from being on par with Geelong and ovens and Murray, to be now far similar in standard to Bendigo, Ballarat and Gippsland, and it could be behind them in terms of reserves footy standard. Even when the gv was strong, Nathalia would have played finals in the gv.

Your not turning into Caroline Wilson are you "Roar" ??...."I have been reliably told "..." I was also recently told " !! 🤣🤣...just poking a bit of fun your way fella

Your not turning into Caroline Wilson are you "Roar" ??...."I have been reliably told "..." I was also recently told " !! 🤣🤣...just poking a bit of fun your way fella
I haven’t seen enough of GVL to comment so it would be wrong of me to say it any other way other than it is what I have been told .

It would be money well spent if successful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it's more of the standard of the league has gone from being on par with Geelong and ovens and Murray, to be now far similar in standard to Bendigo, Ballarat and Gippsland, and it could be behind them in terms of reserves footy standard. Even when the gv was strong, Nathalia would have played finals in the gv.
Seen about 6 Ballarat games this year. Its been a great standard and may have its nose in front of the GV atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have watched 4 games of Murray league over the past two seasons, 3 of them have involved Tonny. Most other weeks I watch Ky. In my honest opinion Tonny would not get within 10 goals of any side in the top 7 of the GV and would have a tough games against any other side in the GVFL. The gap is still fairly significant from what I have seen.
Having said that the standard of the GVFL has been on the decline for a while and its about time that the administration had a serious look at how the league can turn it around, it starts at the top. The grounds and facilities in the GV are as good if not better than any other in country Vic, this alone should be a big selling point as Metro footy is played on tiny bog heaps.
Lets get back to allowing clubs to dictate what they spend and who they recruit, thats the was it always was and clubs always seemed to survive. I cant remember the league being in a worse state participation and standard wise so the points and cap have simply not worked, its hard to comprehend how the people in power cant see this.

I have watched 4 games of Murray league over the past two seasons, 3 of them have involved Tonny. Most other weeks I watch Ky. In my honest opinion Tonny would not get within 10 goals of any side in the top 7 of the GV and would have a tough games against any other side in the GVFL. The gap is still fairly significant from what I have seen.
Having said that the standard of the GVFL has been on the decline for a while and its about time that the administration had a serious look at how the league can turn it around, it starts at the top. The grounds and facilities in the GV are as good if not better than any other in country Vic, this alone should be a big selling point as Metro footy is played on tiny bog heaps.
Lets get back to allowing clubs to dictate what they spend and who they recruit, thats the was it always was and clubs always seemed to survive. I cant remember the league being in a worse state participation and standard wise so the points and cap have simply not worked, its hard to comprehend how the people in power cant see this.
Well said,

Easier to make changes and get on top of things now rather then let them dwindle away and build it back up!

Is there a group of clubs pushing for change ?

I would think there would be a number of clubs and leagues wanting change. As Jon Dough alluded to clubs should be able to determine what players and payments they want to roll with.
Pretty sure I alluded the same a few pages ago 🤔. But absolutely they should be able to.

I would think there would be a number of clubs and leagues wanting change. As Jon Dough alluded to clubs should be able to determine what players and payments they want to roll with.
I think my position on the points system and salary cap has been well known since it’s inception . With outer east opting for a metro model and their players being deemed 1 point it’ll be interesting if the same is applied to metro leagues next year

I think my position on the points system and salary cap has been well known since it’s inception . With outer east opting for a metro model and their players being deemed 1 point it’ll be interesting if the same is applied to metro leagues next year
I think we've got short memories guys, clubs were struggling to get players out of Melbourne where the Essendon and eastern leagues had double to triple the salary, every prospective recruit a club would talk to, used it as leverage to bump his payment, we had large groups of guys shop themselves around as a package, with one coaching, who knew if they could actually coach.

At least we are seeing good players playing in the country again, I'm not saying it's a perfect solution and think it now needs rejigging but I think it's helped where footy was going in the country

I think we've got short memories guys, clubs were struggling to get players out of Melbourne where the Essendon and eastern leagues had double to triple the salary, every prospective recruit a club would talk to, used it as leverage to bump his payment, we had large groups of guys shop themselves around as a package, with one coaching, who knew if they could actually coach.

At least we are seeing good players playing in the country again, I'm not saying it's a perfect solution and think it now needs rejigging but I think it's helped where footy was going in the country
I agree with some of your points Trent. It's been a hard slog for those teams that have been anchored down the bottom end. Some clubs at the top end of competitions in Metro circles haven't helped matters.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back