Goulburn Valley FL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

They'll be looking to lock away Hartley full time otherwise they'll need to find another avenue for scores.... Their forward line doesn't look dangerous. Been a big hole missing since the great #5 finished up!
Big white boots to fill those !!! 😉👍

Ben Rigoni & Jack O'Sullivan both league medalist have signed on with Seymour. Add in Murphy, Scopel, Mason (Rising star winner) & Waite. Lions on the front foot for 2023 alongside locking away Ben Davey as coach.
And a few more to come still. If they can stay injury free in 2023 the lions will be right up there. Their second half of the 2022 season was fantastic and with quality players, good depth and an excellent administration the club is in very good shape (as it always seems to be). The lions are a benchmark on how a successful and inclusive football/ netball club should operate.

And a few more to come still. If they can stay injury free in 2023 the lions will be right up there. Their second half of the 2022 season was fantastic and with quality players, good depth and an excellent administration the club is in very good shape (as it always seems to be). The lions are a benchmark on how a successful and inclusive football/ netball club should operate.
Is Simon McLean still heavily involved there?

No Senior Flag since 2007 and No Grand Final appearance since 2012 you might have gone a bit heavy with the Mayo.

Looks like it’s that time of the year, you can nearly set your watch to it!

Time to pump up Seymour, every single year it’s the same, if they do this and do that they’ll finish top 3!

To many vfl blokes on there list for mind, don’t know if you’ve got them or you haven’t till very late in the week and most of the time they don’t play enough games to qualify for finals.

No Senior Flag since 2007 and No Grand Final appearance since 2012 you might have gone a bit heavy with the Mayo.
Fair points Fly. I think its more about the culture of the club over a long period of time. As a Seymour person, its always been a welcoming and generally strong club with great people involved. The Lions have won flags in 1976, 1981/82, 1991, 2005,06,07. A return of 7 flags over a 46 year period is pretty good going.

Fair points Fly. I think its more about the culture of the club over a long period of time. As a Seymour person, its always been a welcoming and generally strong club with great people involved. The Lions have won flags in 1976, 1981/82, 1991, 2005,06,07. A return of 7 flags over a 46 year period is pretty good going.

Definitely about the club culture and how they club runs on a whole. From board to coaches to players to volunteers across both football and netball its always been a well ran place and always been envied by other clubs.

Echuca won champion club this year at the league presentation & I think Seymour may have been 2nd? It's a good bench mark to go off as it's ranked off success of all teams involved at the club. Echuca the power house by far but yes unfortunately for Seymour not enough success in senior footy of late.

Definitely about the club culture and how they club runs on a whole. From board to coaches to players to volunteers across both football and netball its always been a well ran place and always been envied by other clubs.

Echuca won champion club this year at the league presentation & I think Seymour may have been 2nd? It's a good bench mark to go off as it's ranked off success of all teams involved at the club. Echuca the power house by far but yes unfortunately for Seymour not enough success in senior footy of late.
From a distance they look to be a very well run club both on and off the field but let’s not forget they have the single biggest advantage in the league with their proximity to the city. Makes everything from recruitment and retention so much easier and you can build your culture a lot better with city based players being able to train once a week at the club.
You still have to have a great structure in place but it certainly is a big advantage in my opinion.

Aware of a leading suburban club seeking the services of Ethan Hunt who is on WBs VFL list.
He cut it up with Mooroopna over the year.
Is he still with them in 2023?

From a distance they look to be a very well run club both on and off the field but let’s not forget they have the single biggest advantage in the league with their proximity to the city. Makes everything from recruitment and retention so much easier and you can build your culture a lot better with city based players being able to train once a week at the club.
You still have to have a great structure in place but it certainly is a big advantage in my opinion.

Totally agree, it is a massive advantage. In saying that, I dont think the Lions are executing on this advantage. From my understanding they only have 3 boys travelling from Melbourne and 2 of them are originally local boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree, it is a massive advantage. In saying that, I dont think the Lions are executing on this advantage. From my understanding they only have 3 boys travelling from Melbourne and 2 of them are originally local boys.
So do they all work and live in Seymour or some travel to Melbourne for uni or work but live at home.
Either way it’s massive to be able to have that many players live in the town.

From a distance seymour, Echuca, Ky and Rochy are well run clubs. Mooroopna look like they are heading in the right direction, as are Mansfield, who looked pretty young with marks and Christopher good locals coming through and rich signing on full time. Remember there was a thought that Seymour would drop right off in 2021 with an exodus of good players, and young locals stepped up. Looks like Benalla are getting a core of ex locals back as well and the swans scared a few sides in the 6 in the backend, so if wright can utilise his brother's contacts and land a few ex north older experienced bodies they are a chance to play finals. You'd think the two Shepp teams and tat will still struggle, although if United can get a high profile coach, suddenly they get a few ex locals back and they're on the improve. So it looks already like it could be an even comp for next year

From a distance seymour, Echuca, Ky and Rochy are well run clubs. Mooroopna look like they are heading in the right direction, as are Mansfield, who looked pretty young with marks and Christopher good locals coming through and rich signing on full time. Remember there was a thought that Seymour would drop right off in 2021 with an exodus of good players, and young locals stepped up. Looks like Benalla are getting a core of ex locals back as well and the swans scared a few sides in the 6 in the backend, so if wright can utilise his brother's contacts and land a few ex north older experienced bodies they are a chance to play finals. You'd think the two Shepp teams and tat will still struggle, although if United can get a high profile coach, suddenly they get a few ex locals back and they're on the improve. So it looks already like it could be an even comp for next year
Some of the money being offered in Melb as well as other opportunities are making it increasingly difficult to lure players from the city. Unfortunately for Mansfield, Corey Rich has returned to his junior club Old Hailbury.

Aware of a leading suburban club seeking the services of Ethan Hunt who is on WBs VFL list.
He cut it up with Mooroopna over the year.
Is he still with them in 2023?
Most likely North Heidelberg to play with former VFL star and cousin Liam Hunt? Fair pedigree in that family. Liam Hunt is the first cousin of Nick Dal Santo and Marcus Bontempelli.

Some of the money being offered in Melb as well as other opportunities are making it increasingly difficult to lure players from the city. Unfortunately for Mansfield, Corey Rich has returned to his junior club Old Hailbury.
Have metro clubs had their salaries increased? The job opportunities provided to rich to play ammos, no country or metro club gets close.

If you're a good vfl player or ex AFL player with a few brains and really good at networking, you'll be setup for life playing ammos

Another thing I’ve been impressed with about Echuca Jon is the integration of the same game plan across all four grades. This takes a lot of alignment and buy in. The hardest part in this plan is usually the Magoos with some clubs having a large turn over a players week in - week out. However when it works as it should, bringing up players and training much easier with players all drilled the same on what match plan expectations are.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Seymour clean swept the Senior Netball GF’s , winning all three.
Footys turn to up their game.

But from afar certainly impressed with their unity across both Netball and Football

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ringo. My comments were exactly along that line, culture and environment. If you get them right you will have sustained success on and off field as occurs at the lions. Premierships and grand final appearances are not the only measure of what makes up a successful club.

So do they all work and live in Seymour or some travel to Melbourne for uni or work but live at home.
Either way it’s massive to be able to have that many players live in the town.
Yeah most of the squad is very Seymour based plus the surrounding towns of Avenal, Nagambie, Broadford, Yea & Kilmore. There would be 5-6 living in Melbourne (Work & Uni) but 3 of those would be Seymour locals who have moved down to the city.

This is from my understanding anyway.

Big news hearing that Rich has left. This been confirmed Ring?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back