Goulburn Valley FL 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I
As an ex footballer and coach and also a long career umpire (and coach) I have said many of times we still need to entice more ex footballers to give a little more back to the game and take up the whistle which is not happening anywhere near as much as it used to be , players are saying why umpire I’ve done my bit and just sit behind the fence , ex footballers that come to mind like Reggie Hudson / Mousey freer / Barca /Meek / lambourne / Pell /Byers / Peter Law / ect ect these ex players adapted so quickly and all become great umpires and players related to them because they knew the game and they respected them because they had been there and done it Just maybe more work has to be put into place to try and entice ex players in taking up the whistle
I think it’s a pretty tough ask trying to entice ex players into the umpiring fraternity. Banged up bodies, young families that now get their full weekend attention, having a few beers on a Saturday with ex teammates watching the next gen come through. I’m not criticising the idea at all - played til I was 28-29 then umpired in my early 30’s for about 5 years. Just know how hard it is to convince ex players to give it a go. I think it’s easier to get them volunteering to coach Auskick and junior footy when their kids start playing. I don’t have the answer to higher participation rates and I don’t envy the people who have to work it out. Higher payments could be part of it, but it’s got to be part of a bigger campaign by leagues and clubs to show that taking up the whistle isn’t a thankless task. Perhaps clubs could mention them in post match presentations? I don’t know.

I

I think it’s a pretty tough ask trying to entice ex players into the umpiring fraternity. Banged up bodies, young families that now get their full weekend attention, having a few beers on a Saturday with ex teammates watching the next gen come through. I’m not criticising the idea at all - played til I was 28-29 then umpired in my early 30’s for about 5 years. Just know how hard it is to convince ex players to give it a go. I think it’s easier to get them volunteering to coach Auskick and junior footy when their kids start playing. I don’t have the answer to higher participation rates and I don’t envy the people who have to work it out. Higher payments could be part of it, but it’s got to be part of a bigger campaign by leagues and clubs to show that taking up the whistle isn’t a thankless task. Perhaps clubs could mention them in post match presentations? I don’t know.
I would say as a general rule the umpiring is nowhere near as strong as it was 25 years ago, guys are paid a pittance to do it. I'd love to see how much they get double and maybe get Gil and co like a andrew Dillon or even retired AFL players to umpire a few senior games of country and metro that's going to have a far more positive effect than the dissent rule to get more umps. I didn't look at the free paid against cognilio last week and think I want to be an umpire, it probably turned more away from it

If the umpires are good yes pay them whatever they want. If they’re no good? Pay them accordingly. Unfortunately there are so many games of footy there aren’t enough umpires out there. Let alone good ones.

They say they want to invest in country footy. Here is a way they can actually do that in a meaningful way
In some umpires organisations the executive members also form other roles such as advisor , coach etc and are extremely well re-imbursed for such roles .
The difference between what leagues ( which is ultimately the clubs ) pay and the actually officiating umpires get is ridiculous is some cases .
It’s interesting swoopin pie should mention Reggie Hudson . I would think many , if not most , who played during the time Reggie umpired would recall some good times with him in social rooms post games .
IMO it’s beyond time to stop creating increased separation between umpires and players/ clubs .

What does Joe Atley do for a living now as he is back at Rochy

I noticed a couple of notable players not play for euroa on the weekend. Big Erish, the Garside brothers and Hellier, are they injured or have they departed the nest?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Erish had shoulder surgery after the GF. Definitely playing though once ready. Garside boys have moved on and Hellier will be around at some stage.
Where did the Garside bros finish up ultra ??? With all players available are they better than last season there’s no doubt the hunger to win it will be there

And that’s the reason we are in this situation.. double the pay at least..

That’s a fair point. I played until my body wouldn’t let me and then I had a crack at umpiring. Gave it away after a few years for a number of reasons but if the pay had been higher there’s at least some prospect I’d still be doing it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The GV umps receive 200 per major league and 150 minor( Kdl) surely not satisfactory if trying to entice ex players in taking up the whistle
What are leagues paying for these appointments , I am going to suggest at least $50 more per umpire .

$ 215 for a community league nearby which is the same amount league are charged .

Where did the Garside bros finish up ultra ??? With all players available are they better than last season there’s no doubt the hunger to win it will be there
Playing back in Melbourne. Not sure where though. Additions of two of the better players in the league in Hayes and Pendlebury as well as more footy from JD would say better. Captain Jacob Gleeson back as well from foot surgery. Ben Bath heading to north vfl and local club in melb is one they would like to have back on their list though.

70+ free kicks Mansfield vs Euroa according to GVL DATA. AFL average is about 20. Saying nothing further.

Slack way of looking at the standard of umpiring. Maybe both teams infringed a lot. Are there infringements umpires should ignore? Surely they have to pay what they see? Free kick counts alone don’t tell you anything, especially without having seen those decisions. I understand the frustration with poor umpiring. Umps make bad decisions too but the free kick count isn’t the factor by which we should determine that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Didn’t they lose by 6 goals? Heard Hartley played CHB and intercepted everything, also Mellington on report???
Great win in tough conditions by the pies as well, missing plenty of good players as well in B Giobbi, JD, N Trotter
Mellington was in a scuffle or 2 but didn't get reported

70+ free kicks Mansfield vs Euroa according to GVL DATA. AFL average is about 20. Saying nothing further.

If your going to try and make an argument to bag the guys who actually make games happen please don’t bullshit stats to pump up your argument.

Please state when the last AFL game had only 20 frees paid. I’m meaning one game not the average like you and your mayo claim states

Remove this Banner Ad

Back