Goulburn Valley FL 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Mooroopna over Benalla by 64
Bears over Swans by 12
Seymour over Ky by 8
Mansfield over Rocky by 40
Euroa over Tatura by 58
Echuca over united by 45

Seymour V Kyabram game of the round by far, should be a cracker!
Agree with most that mate but just think the Swans will get the chocolates over Shepp bears-10 points

I'd also like to see it as U/23 comp played as a carnival in Melbourne over a weekend. This would allow VFL Club recruiters and even some AFL recruiters a chance to look over the talent. If there was no clash with the VFLW games they could be played as curtain raisers. The concept would be much like Country Week cricket but completed over one weekend. If it was done during round 1 of the VFL season then players would not miss out on playing for their local team. It could be a festival of country footy played between the best 10 leagues. Rankings could be used and if team 10 loses then they are relegated and the division two winner comes into the carnival the next year.
-under 25 plus max 5 overage players for blokes who love interleague (yes they exist)
-as a starting point in 2024 play 2 games in early May between leagues showing evidence they want to play interleague, gv, ovens murray, gippsland, hampden. Ideally Bendigo could be one of teams to provide a “central” location. Good facilities also for multiple games. Surely the eco dev department at city council of a Shepparton, Albury, Morwell, Warrnambool, Bendigo could get involved with “council support” They all bang on about doing.
-Festival of footy, netball. play the games in same location with senior netball, junior footy, junior netball to provide economic benefit $$$ to chosen location, accommodation, hospitality. Pump it up in media.
-winners play curtain raiser to AFL game on long weekend in june to ensure buy in from players. Put a split round in h/a fixture after this date that in the event of league making the “final” there can be full general bye so no club is affected.
-televise “final” on fox footy, kayo to make it attractive to sponsor.
all sorted. Over to you AFL vic.

Last edited:
-under 25 plus max 5 overage players for blokes who love interleague (yes they exist)
-as a starting point in 2024 play 2 games in early May between leagues showing evidence they want to play interleague, gv, ovens murray, gippsland, hampden. Ideally Bendigo could be one of teams to provide a “central” location. Good facilities also for multiple games.
-play the games in same location with senior netball, junior footy, junior netball to provide economic benefit $$$ to chosen location, accommodation, hospitality. Pump it up in media.
-winners play curtain raiser to AFL game on long weekend in june to ensure buy in from players.

Make it happen @harsh.but fair:

-as a starting point in 2024 play 2 games in early May between leagues showing evidence they want to play interleague, gv, ovens murray, gippsland, hampden. Ideally Bendigo could be one of teams to provide a “central” location. Good facilities also for multiple games. Surely the eco dev department at city council of a Shepparton, Albury, Morwell, Warrnambool, Bendigo could get involved with “council support” They all bang on about doing.
-Festival of footy, netball. play the games in same location with senior netball, junior footy, junior netball to provide economic benefit $$$ to chosen location, accommodation, hospitality. Pump it up in media.
-winners play curtain raiser to AFL game on long weekend in june to ensure buy in from players. Put a split round in h/a fixture after this date that in the event of league making the “final” there can be full general bye so no club is affected.
Costs involved doing something similar to this would be extreme and reach near or over the $100k mark per league , based on apparent costs in the past .

Interleague played in the pre-season, get the best possible squad available, thoughts? Because 6 games in to the home & away the weathers cooling off, clubs are more reluctant to put their big names on the field.

Interleague played in the pre-season, get the best possible squad available, thoughts? Because 6 games in to the home & away the weathers cooling off, clubs are more reluctant to put their big names on the field.
Yeah, not sure clubs would be all that rapt about losing one of their guns before the season starts either. I think early/mid season is the best option.

Yeah, not sure clubs would be all that rapt about losing one of their guns before the season starts either. I think early/mid season is the best option.

I think it’s fits in better, instead of playing a practice match, play interleague instead. Im sure clubs would be happier with that prospect rather than getting injured on a bye weekend during the season.

I think it’s fits in better, instead of playing a practice match, play interleague instead. Im sure clubs would be happier with that prospect rather than getting injured on a bye weekend during the season.
Don't think clubs would be happy either way if a player gets hurt. And that's the issue the gun players get picked and then their club nudges them to pull out.
You need to get a buy in like a few years ago when Paulo was coach (plus the carrot of playing on the MCG didnt hurt either😆) but that rarely happens now

A brilliant fast flowing game of footy between Kyabram and Seymour today. Fast flowing at breathtaking speed at times. Kyabram got up by one point. Lachie Smith up to his usual tricks pretending he is an opposition forward with him being hit up by Seymour players all day!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A brilliant fast flowing game of footy between Kyabram and Seymour today. Fast flowing at breathtaking speed at times. Kyabram got up by one point. Lachie Smith up to his usual tricks pretending he is an opposition forward with him being hit up by Seymour players all day!

Smith probably doesn’t get the love other players get when everyone talks about Champions of the last 10 yrs .
He’s a jet

Mooroopna over Benalla by 64

Bears over Swans by 12

Seymour

Echuca over united by 45

Swans by 15

Seymour V Kyabram game of the round by far, should be a cracker!

Cats by 55

Agree with most that mate but just think the Swans will get the chocolates over Shepp bears-10 points
Smith probably doesn’t get the love other players get when everyone talks about Champions of the last 10 yrs .
He’s a jet
seymour game plan kick it to locky SMITH

seymour game plan kick it to locky SMITH

I remember when I allegedly may have been a trainer at Ky and the opposition player had the ball close to our bench looking to deliver it into his forward line. I would tell him to kick it to Lochie Smith. When that actually happened, which was a regular occurrence, the player would glare at me like it was my fault. Not that club officials are allowed to talk to opposition players… luckily this is alleged to save me from suing myself!🤣

Who played well for both sides Bootz? Smith been a star for many years now. From all reports Kyabram completely outplayed the Lions but the Lions held in till the death and nearly the job done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to windless Deakin to have a look at the 2 rivals in the Shepp swans and Shepp bears the only thing that kept me in the grandstand for 4 quarters was the closeness of the game it was only in the last 10 minutes when the bears went bang with 3 or 4 quick goals that the game was over The one real noticeable thing for me was no real guns running around on either side . I assume Sam Wright would be getting paid well for his travels up here and except for a goal which he set up with a good handball they are better to save their money IMO his body is done . Both these sides have been in this situation in recent times rebuilding with premierships to both sides the result

Ventured to Benalla yesterday. Cats very slick early. Benalla actually kept pace in the middle two quarters but the cats took over again in the last. If Benalla can get enough ball to Waite then they’re a handful. Nield was dangerous all day kicking 7. Very good player.

Ventured to Benalla yesterday. Cats very slick early. Benalla actually kept pace in the middle two quarters but the cats took over again in the last. If Benalla can get enough ball to Waite then they’re a handful. Nield was dangerous all day kicking 7. Very good player.
I see Ex Richmond player Nathan Drummond played for Mooroopna how'd he go?

Went to windless Deakin to have a look at the 2 rivals in the Shepp swans and Shepp bears the only thing that kept me in the grandstand for 4 quarters was the closeness of the game it was only in the last 10 minutes when the bears went bang with 3 or 4 quick goals that the game was over The one real noticeable thing for me was no real guns running around on either side . I assume Sam Wright would be getting paid well for his travels up here and except for a goal which he set up with a good handball they are better to save their money IMO his body is done . Both these sides have been in this situation in recent times rebuilding with premierships to both sides the result
It's no secret that Wright has battled injuries. It was his first match for the year though so he may get going a bit with a few games under his belt.

Played predominantly in a wing and half back role. Classy when he gets the ball. Was solid without being spectacular.

The Waite and mellington forward line doesn't work for me. Mellington gives you nothing unless he is the main target.

Cats were superb all day. Much better then when I saw them play seymour

Who played well for both sides Bootz? Smith been a star for many years now. From all reports Kyabram completely outplayed the Lions but the Lions held in till the death and nearly the job done.

Don’t know the new Ky lads names even less the Seymour players. Ky have a couple of very exciting young players who were prominent at times yesterday. Morgan and Smith held the backline together. Di Pasquale good. Ky had many options going forward but their ball movement to them was poor at times. Seymour very slick in the run and spread but couldn’t find targets inside their 50 if Ky forced the Lions into slow play into their 50.

Don’t know the new Ky lads names even less the Seymour players. Ky have a couple of very exciting young players who were prominent at times yesterday. Morgan and Smith held the backline together. Di Pasquale good. Ky had many options going forward but their ball movement to them was poor at times. Seymour very slick in the run and spread but couldn’t find targets inside their 50 if Ky forced the Lions into slow play into their 50.

Fair enough mate, Lions suffer without a big target down forward unless they play Hartley fwd. Seems to be their only downfall.

One of the worst games of GV footy I have seen in a long time. The swans have been exciting to watch in the 3/4 games I have seen this year but they looked like they wanted to chip it around rather than run and take the game on.
The crowd was disappointing for me I thought there would of been a bigger turn out with 2 Shepparton sides playing and the 3 closest KDFL sides in Dookie, Tally and shepp east all playing Sunday footy.

I concur with half back. Was solid without starring. Just knows where to be and where to kick it. I doubt they’ll see much of him once fully fit but if they do then he could definitely elevate the cats into the top bracket. With their 3 main targets if they can get even supply then they’ll be a real handful.

Was a fantastic game of country footy. The ball pinged from end to end with Seymour’s transition game in full flow. Was a game of momentum swings with the difference being Kyabrams defence. Golds was a standout best on ground. His run and ball use was first class, if he qualifies for the bombers which he likely will they will be a contender.
Smith and Morgan were also at their intercepting best.
For Seymour Rigoni and O’Sullivan were very good around the middle and Hartley controlled centre half back all day. Without holman Ky often struggled to get it past chf.
One of the better games I have watched in recent times.

Was a fantastic game of country footy. The ball pinged from end to end with Seymour’s transition game in full flow. Was a game of momentum swings with the difference being Kyabrams defence. Golds was a standout best on ground. His run and ball use was first class, if he qualifies for the bombers which he likely will they will be a contender.
Smith and Morgan were also at their intercepting best.
For Seymour Rigoni and O’Sullivan were very good around the middle and Hartley controlled centre half back all day. Without holman Ky often struggled to get it past chf.
One of the better games I have watched in recent times.
rigoni and goulds easily best on's smith and hartley next 2
both sides had plenty of willing helpers
lucky umpires didn't spoil the game they were trying their best
agree doughy kyabram defence probably won / saved the game for the bombers
but seymour had plenty of fwd entries to be in front
a great game from start to finish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back