Goulburn Valley FL 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there are some questions on moooroopna which are fair enough to ask. Mainly being how long does Lamont have to bring some actual success??

He’s bought them out of the doldrums but I’d argue hasn’t had success so to speak.
Plenty are quick to heap praise but The reality is they are a side that’s good enough to beat the sides they are expected to(well done) but not good enough to beat to real players. I think they’ve had 2 maybe 3 good wins in the last three years and the rest have come against weaker sides. Credit to them for still winning what they should. But I just don’t think they are good enough to take the next step either.
So I wonder with all the work and money that’s been spent on recruiting just when they would be thinking we really should be winning one?

He'd be under pressure they lost to united and they're going backwards
Thats footy. On a certain day any team can lose to another. Isn't that the sign of a semi-healthy competition?
Did anyone expect United to play the season and not win a game?
If you sack Barnard who replaces him? Not a fan of sacking coaches mid season unless they have run out of tickets/passion to continue or, so out of their depth its better to do so. Maybe look at the blokes getting paid and not delivering because he cannot change much from sitting on the bench.

Thats footy. On a certain day any team can lose to another. Isn't that the sign of a semi-healthy competition?
Did anyone expect United to play the season and not win a game?
If you sack Barnard who replaces him? Not a fan of sacking coaches mid season unless they have run out of tickets/passion to continue or, so out of their depth its better to do so. Maybe look at the blokes getting paid and not delivering because he cannot change much from sitting on the bench.
I'd give tat a pass mark on last year, they were competitive in most games.

This year they've signed another 4-5 guys, they would have been thinking making the 6 as a pass mark. After round 1, their form has continued to drop off, when you're travelling that far to coach is it worth it? Add to the fact that at douttas and craigieburn there was a mutual parting of ways mid season when he was coach.

This year they've signed another 4-5 guys, they would have been thinking making the 6 as a pass mark. After round 1, their form has continued to drop off, when you're travelling that far to coach is it worth it? Add to the fact that at douttas and craigieburn there was a mutual parting of ways mid season when he was coach.
How about add to the fact there are 6 blokes who played in the first win that didn't play on Saturday,That's a third of your team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon about this time of year everyone has injuries don’t they
True but some teams can cover with superior depth. Tat don’t fall into that class.
Using rochy as an example, last year shocking depth and the reverses struggled so when they had 4-8 injuries they really struggled. However, this year they have still had 4-8 injuries most weeks but their depth has improved significantly and the reserves are going well. A healthy reserves often reflects a healthy club.

I believe Echuca, Euroa, Mansfield, Mooroopna would all have expected to be playing finals this year based on previous year and recruits this year. Shepp probably now will, Shepp Swans, Rochy and Ky are a chance to make the 6. Not sure too many would have thought with Fly in/fly out and the players existing without maybe 2-3 A graders being recruited to play every game, that Tatura would have thought they play finals. You aspire to but reality is 6 teams always miss out.
I've been saying it for a long time but points and salary cap are a waste of time. If Tatura want to spend $500K to get every available player they can, does that bastardise the league or make the other teams aspire to get some good recruits as well?
Presently it cannot be done, but Tat were very good of being poor for 6-7 years then for 2 years win a flag.
The league and depth of talent is going backwards so make a move and try something different.
Look at the O&M. There is little chance most of the top teams are under the cap the way its manipulated but the only issue arises for the premier at seasons end.

I think there are some questions on moooroopna which are fair enough to ask. Mainly being how long does Lamont have to bring some actual success??

He’s bought them out of the doldrums but I’d argue hasn’t had success so to speak.
Plenty are quick to heap praise but The reality is they are a side that’s good enough to beat the sides they are expected to(well done) but not good enough to beat to real players. I think they’ve had 2 maybe 3 good wins in the last three years and the rest have come against weaker sides. Credit to them for still winning what they should. But I just don’t think they are good enough to take the next step either.
So I wonder with all the work and money that’s been spent on recruiting just when they would be thinking we really should be winning one?

I am lead to believe that the cats were almost scrambling for numbers this week. Very undermanned and even had some 16 year olds playing. I wouldn’t write them off and Lamont is one of the best. They are struggling but might be just timing the run well to take over as the second seed

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Watched the 2nd half and both teams looked OK... ball movement was better than I expected.
Tat could have had a few more scoring chances.. and even though he kicked 6.. Sargent could have had a few more except Simpson was moved to full forward and either contested with Sargent or had his man close enough to come in 3rd man up to spoil. This, plus Russell being sent off, leaving them with 17, they just ran out of legs.
Tat need to go out and recruit some big guns.... 1990s style 🤣🤣

I believe Echuca, Euroa, Mansfield, Mooroopna would all have expected to be playing finals this year based on previous year and recruits this year. Shepp probably now will, Shepp Swans, Rochy and Ky are a chance to make the 6. Not sure too many would have thought with Fly in/fly out and the players existing without maybe 2-3 A graders being recruited to play every game, that Tatura would have thought they play finals. You aspire to but reality is 6 teams always miss out.
I've been saying it for a long time but points and salary cap are a waste of time. If Tatura want to spend $500K to get every available player they can, does that bastardise the league or make the other teams aspire to get some good recruits as well?
Presently it cannot be done, but Tat were very good of being poor for 6-7 years then for 2 years win a flag.
The league and depth of talent is going backwards so make a move and try something different.
Look at the O&M. There is little chance most of the top teams are under the cap the way its manipulated but the only issue arises for the premier at seasons end.
Where's the money coming from now though? Not sure gv clubs could compete if it was an open arms race either?

Where's the money coming from now though? Not sure gv clubs could compete if it was an open arms race either?
Every club has done it. You pay unders for a period of time based on what you have and bank the excess which equates to a war chest for a couple of years. Footy is a cycle of haves and have nots.

Every club has done it. You pay unders for a period of time based on what you have and bank the excess which equates to a war chest for a couple of years. Footy is a cycle of haves and have nots.
There's no money in the gv area anymore to get these recruits, the landscape has changed. I doubt any gv club could match a metro club, ammos, the ovens and murray or North central

There's no money in the gv area anymore to get these recruits, the landscape has changed. I doubt any gv club could match a metro club, ammos, the ovens and murray or North central
disagree strongly about there being no money.
Shepparton, Shepp Swans, Mansfield, Mooroopna, Rochester and Euroa have all recruited pretty heavily.
Why do the O&M and NCFL attract good quality players? Go back to previous post as they pay as much if not more than anyone. Location and travel time isn't an issue if you have the best offer.
How does the salary cap for any league help this? NCFL don't have one do they?
Landscape continually changes but there has never been a better time in football for good players to make serious money as clubs are paying out plenty.

They don’t have the depth of the good sides. Their bottom 6-8 players aren’t much chop either. Recruiting can only do so much. I’d argue under Lamont they’re competitive beyond their talent. Their best players are playing VFL mostly. Aside from Rutherford, Hanrahan and McCarthy they don’t have much high end class.
Shepparton, Shepp Swans, Mansfield, Mooroopna, Rochester and Euroa have all recruited pretty heavily.
Why do the O&M and NCFL attract good quality players? Go back to previous post as they pay as much if not more than anyone. Location and travel time isn't an issue if you have the best offer.
Landscape continually changes but there has never been a better time in football for good players to make serious money as clubs are paying out plenty.
If O&M are shelling out more than GV clubs doesn’t that mean they have more available? I’m sure GV clubs would pay more if they had more.
I agree with Trent. The landscape has changed in the GV. Industry has changed or disappeared or diminished compared to other regions.

I wouldn't think any of the recruits those clubs have got this year are absulute stars that attract a bit of excitement of previous years.

There is a salary cap for every league, I'm sure no club wants to end up like wangaratta either. So you need a good treasurer if you're going to be adventurous with your payments. I see Robinvale and irymple are under investigation from last year.

I'd say only echuca and Euroa are destination spots like a yarrawonga, even Wang has Milawa just on the outskirts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back