AFL Grand Final Grand Final 2021 - Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs - Sat, Sept 25 - 5:15pm AWST / 7:15pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Disheartening result.
Melbourne are a s**t team and basically bradburyed his year. There aint going to be a follow up like Tigers, Hawks, Geelong.

Four finals, four States, we as Pies supporters should see how much that knocks your team around! Oh well.

Melbourne piled on a cricket score of 140 in the GF...whilst we had to sit through 4 and 5 goal bores of Nathan most of the year.
And you wonder which style would be more successful in finals...

One plus is it's good to have a team who plays a legitimate calculated game style win a flag.

Got pretty sick of that Richmond garbage, constantly punching it out of the air and hoping it lands in Dusty's hands...

This afternoon I’m going to rewatch Buckley’s coaching farewell game. After that grand final I’m curious how the hell we managed to beat the dees.
Was thinking exactly this during their surge. Maybe there is hope for us in the next few years

One plus is it's good to have a team who plays a legitimate calculated game style win a flag.

Got pretty sick of that Richmond garbage, constantly punching it out of the air and hoping it lands in Dusty's hands...

I’m with you. It is the most pure attacking footy I have seen in a long long time.

100 to 7 from 3/4 way through the third quarter is crazy.

So glad that to see the back of that chaos footy rubbish.

On a side note Petracca is an absolute freak. How a bloke at his height and weight can move like he does is ridiculous…

I don't begrudge them celebrating on the field but as I haven't seen post match celebrations for the past 4 years, I wasn't sure if this is what they do now so was just asking the question.
The Dogs in 2016 were very similar. Long celebration of a drought-breaker

I
I can't actually believe people are potting May. He said he felt 100% going in, and even after he injured himself in the 2nd quarter it was much better for their structure to have him out there at 75% than sub on Jordon and throw it off completely.
Suppose Presti was a fool for pulling out in 2010 even though he got through his training session.

I’m with you. It is the most pure attacking footy I have seen in a long long time.

100 to 7 from 3/4 way through the third quarter is crazy.

So glad that to see the back of that chaos footy rubbish.

On a side note Petracca is an absolute freak. How a bloke at his height and weight can move like he does is ridiculous…
Richmond's gamestyle truly was shambolic and ugly much of the time. Certainly effective but it was punch,soccer, throw, tap the pill forward and have someone scrounge a snapped goal for much of the time.
They were not in the same class as the dominant Geelong and Hawthorn teams.
But winners are grinners.

May is a significantly better player than Presti was in 2010. Not comparable at all.
It's not about class, it's their value to their team. Presti had been our best stopper for years. He could have put his hand up and got through. He has enormous integrity and selflessness.

The fact that May did the same hammy shows it was in no way 100%. He got away with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond's gamestyle truly was shambolic and ugly much of the time. Certainly effective but it was punch,soccer, throw, tap the pill forward and have someone scrounge a snapped goal for much of the time.
They were not in the same class as the dominant Geelong and Hawthorn teams.
But winners are grinders.

Oh don’t worry, I’d have the same ambivalence about gamestyle, as my Tiger mates, if we were able to win 3 in 4 years.

It's not about class, it's their value to their team. Presti had been our best stopper for years. He could have put his hand up and got through. He has enormous integrity and selflessness.

The fact that May did the same hammy shows it was in no way 100%. He got away with it.
A hampered May has more value to their team than their replacement. A hampered Presti did not have more value to our team than the replacement, because of the said gulf in class.

It doesn't matter at all anyway. The Dees crushed the Bulldogs in the 2nd half, and May was able to completely nullify Naughton even after re-injuring himself

A hampered May has more value to their team than their replacement. A hampered Presti did not have more value to our team than the replacement, because of the said gulf in class.

It doesn't matter at all anyway. The Dees crushed the Bulldogs in the 2nd half, and May was able to completely nullify Naughton even after re-injuring himself

May wasn't looking great in the 2nd quarter but he came back in the second half and was moving much better.

Those miracle jabs the docs administer at half-time doing the trick. :)

No love for Tom's little brother? Covered a huge amount of ground. He was back on the last line and then popped up in the forward line seconds later. Would love to have both Langdon's fit and firing.

The lad is blessed with cracking accelleration. Tom was deceivingly fast, this guy is a jet.

Melbourne piled on a cricket score of 140 in the GF...whilst we had to sit through 4 and 5 goal bores of Nathan most of the year.
And you wonder which style would be more successful in finals...

Defense first, has always won GF’s - yesterdays prolific scoring was an outlier.
Further reinforced by the fact that Dees also had the number 1 rated defense. They don’t have a dominant season without a top defense.

Coaching was crucial in that result. The short circuit of all of the preparations for Gawn by leaving him as a sort of kick behind the play ruck rover and running Martin off his legs with the high leaping alternative ruck most of the time was genius. Planning for The defensive effort on Lever, and having alternative interceptors in place worked a treat.

The biggest factor though, was the penetration out of the centre from Petracca and Oliver, and that is just player quality on their parts (enabled by the dominance of Jackson).

For us, the lesson has to be that the connection between Grundy and his midfielders has to improve, and the planning of what happens in the centre must look to use De Goey to do what Petracca does, and look among our resources to get the work Oliver does from someone or several someones.

Any forward line will look good if the ball comes in as it did for Melbourne yesterday. Pickett and McDonald were effectively absent, but the others did the work. We can take some heart from this, but our midfield needs a lot of improvement for us to see what our forwards can actually do.

May goes into a GF under a injury cloud and plays injured...'Risk worth taking' and it payed off! That wouldn't have happened under Bucks!

May goes into a GF under a injury cloud and plays injured...'Risk worth taking' and it payed off! That wouldn't have happened under Bucks!
Coaches can't win on that one though. Remember an unfit Ben Reid getting taken to the cleaners?

I thought May looked pretty ordinary and would have really struggled if Dogs had have gotten on top.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back