Discussion Grand Final Matchups 2023 - What will your team wear?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong/Carlton, etc. At a distance, all Zebras look the same, similarly for the Pies with their black with white stripe kit, or white with black stripe kit. I am just saying if they utilised the gold in some respects, they could make an epic kit anyway.
Whenever we're the away team against Carlton it is perfect contrast

You've obviously never watched 2001 and 2002's Grand Finals.
Fitzroy kit didn't exist then, can't remember the last time they've worn their home kit against a predominantly black team

I don't think there's a unanimous consensus against white shorts per se, it's more the fact that they are used unnecessarily. North Melbourne home games being a case in point.

It's also been proven in the past - with shittier cameras and coverage than what we have now - that coloured shorts can be worn against each other.
I concur. & there of course are occasions where white shorts should be used in lieu of coloured.

Collingwoods clash is one of the best in the league.
The clash is still white and black, so it doesn't solve the issue of what a clash is meant to be.

Examples
Majority colour black
Essendon-2023.gif

Majority colour red

Essendon-Clash-2023.gif

Majority colour blue

Footscray-2023.gif

Majority colour white

Footscray-Clash-2023.gif

Then

Majority colour black i guess? 60/40?

Collingwood-2021.gif

Maority colour white i guess? But still black everywhere, so is it 60/40 still?

Collingwood-Clash-2016.gif

because the patterns are so strikingly similar, and the colours are simply 2 only, it isn't representative of what a clash is (i.e. a completely different kit from your home).

GB Designs did this as a kit in a comp a while back

basketball-jersey-front-png.1126367

At a distance, the white is now gone and the kit is almost a blackout kit. There would be no visual issues at all wearing this in a context where a club (let's say with white and navy hoops) also has a dark and a light colour on their kit. Instead you would be looking shmick in gold.

Last edited:

The clash is still white and black, so it doesn't solve the issue of what a clash is meant to be.

Examples
Majority colour black
Essendon-2023.gif

Majority colour red

Essendon-Clash-2023.gif

Majority colour blue

Footscray-2023.gif

Majority colour white

Footscray-Clash-2023.gif

Then

Majority colour black i guess? 60/40?

Collingwood-2021.gif

Collingwood-Clash-2016.gif

because the patterns are so strikingly similar, and the colours are simply 2 only, it isn't representative of what a clash is (i.e. a completely different kit from your home).

GB Designs did this as a kit in a comp a while back

basketball-jersey-front-png.1126367

At a distance, the white is now gone and the kit is almost a blackout kit. There would be no visual issues at all wearing this in a context where a club (let's say with white and navy hoops) also has a dark and a light colour on their kit. Instead you would be looking shmick in gold.

So you're suggesting Collingwood solves it's clashes by creating a jumper that is closer to the home jumper?
That jumper with gold piping would make all of the clashes far far worse especially against Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Adelaide etc etc.

The clash jumper/kit is there to create contrast, Collingwood's clash white with black stripes does this in every match up where it is required

With black shorts home jumper is 70/30 dark
And with white shorts clash jumper is 70/30 light.
Perfect.
Collingwood are not the problem here.

Put it this way, can a club wear its two jumpers against eachother in an intraclub? Collingwood certainly can.

Unfortunately history proves nothing.

1991 and 2015 Grand Finals being a case in point.

Or teams not wearing white shorts against North in the early 2000s.
The Fitzroy red kit didn't exist at the time. I've also directly reached out to the Lions to ask if the Lions can wear blue shorts in the context of being the away team in the grand final. Fingers crossed that if they do make it that Belgravia/NB play nice :)
For some reason, I thought Brisbane had a rule to wear their Home guernsey in finals in Melbourne, rather than the Fitzroy.

Boy, am I stupid.

So you're suggesting Collingwood solves it's clashes by creating a jumper that is closer to the home jumper?
That jumper with gold piping would make all of the clashes far far worse especially against Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Adelaide etc etc.

The clash jumper/kit is there to create contrast, Collingwood's clash white with black stripes does this in every match up where it is required
If you remove the white from the kit, then white no longer becomes part of the clash problem. And no, the "clash" kit solves no problems as it used the exact same colour scheme (hence the zebra analogy)

If you remove the white from the kit, then white no longer becomes part of the clash problem. And no, the "clash" kit solves no problems as it used the exact same colour scheme (hence the zebra analogy)

See I don’t think that’s an accurate analogy though, with respect.

With Collingwood’s white away uniform, including the shorts obviously, it absolutely creates ample contrast with all other clubs wearing dark-based home uniforms. Only exceptions are Geelong (and North), so the solution is quite simple, Pies just wear their black-based home with black shorts and the Cats their home with white shorts, which Geelong seem to have no hesitation doing in home games anyway. Creates max contrast against the visiting team.

I think you may also be underestimating how much white stands out against any other coloured kit, even if it is just an inverse. Indeed, you could play Collingwood’s home and away kits against each other and it would work perfectly.

also worth noting that the stripes on our current clash jumper are thinner than those on the home

Not hard at all.
Collingwood home and black shorts.
Port clash and white shorts.

If Port has finished higher on the ladder they could wear their home strip with Collingwood in clash.
It works. I just think that it looks aesthetically better the other way around.

It terms of my personal opinion I don't care what Port wear. I also really like the Collingwood white clash, more than the home.

Interesting what would happen if Brisbane played Collingwood in the GF. Think they'd probably wear their home over their 'Melbourne kit'

I don't think Collingwood would have a problem playing in their clash if they were the away team but can't remember how it works in a GF if they qualify after dropping the QF. White shorts with home provides enough contrast as well
We'll likely wear our red away guernsey, although personally I'd prefer us to wear Maroon on grand final day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could easily wear home with maroon shorts like in 02 & 03, but its probably up to the club on what they'd prefer
Yeah, but it's worth mentioning that the clash policy back then was significantly more relaxed and we didn't have a clash or away jumper back then either. Hopefully the AFL allows us to wear our home kit if that's the clubs prefered option.

If the Lions make it & the Pies are their opponent, they'll 110% be in the Fitzroy jumper - last year's prelim set a very strong precedent. I wonder how quickly Belgravia could spin up some bespoke 'Roy blue shorts :$

Of the possible remaining GF matchups, my take:

Collingwood vs. Brisbane

Collingwood-Uniform2023Back.png
Brisbane-Uniform2023M-Back.png

GWS vs. Brisbane

GWS-Uniform2023C-Back.png
Brisbane-Uniform2023Back.png

or

GWS-Uniform2023I-Back.png

Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane

Port-Adelaide-Uniform2023W-Back.png

or

Port-Adelaide-Uniform2023C-Back.png

Collingwood vs. Melbourne

Melbourne-Uniform2023R-Back.png

Collingwood vs. Carlton

If Carlton & Collingwood play off, this shithousery may come to the ugliest of heads. Based off previous comments, Eddie could lobby for Collingwood to compromise, so they can play against the 'navy blues'. Perhaps that could lead to Collingwood in their clash jumper? Sponsor positioning could prevent that from occurring though.

Carlton-Uniform2023A-Back.png

or

Collingwood-Uniform2023C-Back.png
Carlton-Uniform2023Back.png

GWS vs. Melbourne

Melbourne-Uniform2023Back.png

GWS vs. Carlton

Carlton-Uniform2023Back.png

Port Adelaide vs. Melbourne

Port-Adelaide-Uniform2023Back.png
Melbourne-Uniform2023R-Back.png

Port Adelaide vs. Carlton

Port-Adelaide-Uniform2023Back.png
Carlton-Uniform2023C-Back.png

[assets from footyjumpers]

If the Lions make it & the Pies are their opponent, they'll 110% be in the Fitzroy jumper - last year's prelim set a very strong precedent. I wonder how quickly Belgravia could spin up some bespoke 'Roy blue shorts :$

Of the possible remaining GF matchups, my take:

[assets from footyjumpers]
I heard someone from the club say that if we were in the grand final that if we could we'd be in the home jumper. But yeah personally I was slightly annoyed we didn't wear our normal home jumper with maroon shorts in last year's prelim.

Also if it's Port Adelaide v Carlton in the GF, I can see Carlton kicking up a stink about having to wear a clash jumper. Part of me even expects them to wear their home jumper with white shorts this Friday.

I'm wondering if Collingwood would end up in home jumper with white shorts vs Brisbane? Like they did against WCE in 2018.
That would be a great option. Iirc they wore white shorts in '18 because West Coast finished above them in H & A.
I heard someone from the club say that if we were in the grand final that if we could we'd be in the home jumper.
Interesting. I just wonder to what extent contractual stipulations come to the fore in September. Would Youi kick up a fuss if the Lions push to wear the 3peat jumper against a higher-ranked Collingwood?

If Collingwood bow out next Friday and the Lions salute, you'd be pretty certain on them wearing the 3peat jumper.
But yeah personally I was slightly annoyed we didn't wear our normal home jumper with maroon shorts in last year's prelim.
As a proponent of the now-defunct finals white shorts rule, it was frustrating as anything to see. The only plausible justification would be a Fitzroy-only policy by the club for Vic matches.
Also if it's Port Adelaide v Carlton in the GF, I can see Carlton kicking up a stink about having to wear a clash jumper. Part of me even expects them to wear their home jumper with white shorts this Friday.
I'd agree if not for Richmond obliging in 2017. Carlton do have a bit of history with this, however. A certain Subiaco final in 2011 springs to mind.

Against the Pies on Grand Final day, of course, they'd be at Leicester-like odds of donning anything but the navy blue.

I'd agree if not for Richmond obliging in 2017. Carlton do have a bit of history with this, however. A certain Subiaco final in 2011 springs to mind.
Carlton also wore their home with white shorts against the Crows in the 2019 AFLW grand final

Honestly 2018 should've just been both teams in full home

Watched the 02 and 03 GF highlights recently and the contrast between brisbane in all maroon and pies in all black wasn't too bad actually (tho i think Brisbane's maroon may have been a bit lighter back then)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back