Discussion Grand Final Matchups 2023 - What will your team wear?

Remove this Banner Ad

My personal preferences. Implements the finals uniform procedure used by the AFL in past decades, considers Melbourne-based Bloods, and removes white from being unnecessarily introduced. Of course, in an ideal world the Dees would have lighter blue shorts. I don't believe Port needs to wear their clash jumper, but provided they're the away side, the AFL should err on the side of optimal contrast here. Media assets from footyjumpers.com

Collingwood-Uniform2019W.png
Melbourne-Uniform2023.png

Carlton-Uniform2023.png
Sydney-Uniform2023CR.png

StKilda-Uniform2023W.png
GWS-Uniform2023.png

Brisbane-Uniform2023.png
Port-Adelaide-Uniform2023C.png

Saints giants will be messy. Port will be in home/white

Saints giants will be messy. Port will be in home/white
No matter the combination, Saints/GWS is going to be far from perfect. What I've proposed gives ample contrast & both teams in first choice. Last 3 visits to the Gabba, Port have been given the clash jumper directive.

My personal preferences. Implements the finals uniform procedure used by the AFL in past decades, considers Melbourne-based Bloods, and removes white from being unnecessarily introduced. Of course, in an ideal world the Dees would have lighter blue shorts. I don't believe Port needs to wear their clash jumper, but provided they're the away side, the AFL should err on the side of optimal contrast here. Media assets from footyjumpers.com

Collingwood-Uniform2019W.png
Melbourne-Uniform2023.png

Carlton-Uniform2023.png
Sydney-Uniform2023CR.png

StKilda-Uniform2023W.png
GWS-Uniform2023.png

Brisbane-Uniform2023.png
Port-Adelaide-Uniform2023C.png
I'd have St Kilda in black shorts & GWS in orange clash jumper/white shorts - white is one of their "colours" after all (they should wear orange shorts with their clash jumper though).
I agree that Melbourne should wear their lighter blue jumper and that they should have matching shorts.

A Port/Collingwood GF is probably the trickiest one for the AFL. The match up looks a lot better when Port is in black home and Collingwood in white away, but would the AFL go down the route of making Collingwood wear the white away? They did it to Richmond so I'd hope it would be the same case if this match up prevailed.

A Port/Collingwood GF is probably the trickiest one for the AFL. The match up looks a lot better when Port is in black home and Collingwood in white away, but would the AFL go down the route of making Collingwood wear the white away? They did it to Richmond so I'd hope it would be the same case if this match up prevailed.
It usually whichever team finishes higher gets the home strip isn't it? That was the case in 2017.

Richmond finished lower than the Crows, hence why they wore the yellow.
Aesthetic wise it would look better with Collingwood in all white and Port in all black, but it will be the other way around.

I think Collingwood should wear white shorts Thursday night and allow both teams to wear their home uniform.

I'd have St Kilda in black shorts & GWS in orange clash jumper/white shorts - white is one of their "colours" after all (they should wear orange shorts with their clash jumper though).
I agree that Melbourne should wear their lighter blue jumper and that they should have matching shorts.
With what's available, the Saints/Giants matchup is going to be imperfect in terms of contrast. I believe white shorts have a place in modern-day footy and this board's seemingly unanimous opposition to them is something I find nonsensical. They're a great differentiator for the away side if the home team's jumper doesn't feature white as a core design element. They'll only muddle things in this case, however.

Granted, GWS has white on the front of their home jumper, but no other accenting in the collar/cuffs/numbering. Because they do, the white shorts worked tremendously for St Kilda against Brisbane on Saturday. and you'd expect reasonable efficacy against GWS's full home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Collingwood Magpies are the HOME team:

Collingwood Magpies V Sydney Swans
Collingwood-Uniform2023Back.png Sydney-Uniform2023Back.png

Collingwood Magpies V GWS Giants
Collingwood-Uniform2023Back.png GWS-Uniform2023CX-Back.png

Collingwood Magpies V St Kilda Saints
Collingwood-Uniform2023Back.png StKilda-Uniform2023R-Back.png

Collingwood Magpies V Carlton Blues
Collingwood-Uniform2023Back.png Carlton-Uniform2023A-Back.png

Collingwood Magpies V Melbourne Demons
Collingwood-Uniform2023Back.png Melbourne-Uniform2023R-Back.png

Collingwood Magpies V Port Adelaide Power
Collingwood-Uniform2023Back.png Port-Adelaide-Uniform2023C-Back.png

Collingwood Magpies V Brisbane Lions
Collingwood-Uniform2023Back.png Brisbane-Uniform2023Back.png

I think this has been asked in years before, but if, say, Collingwood was to lose week 1, but then "looped around" and met Melbourne in the grand final, would Collingwood be considered as finishing higher still or would that swap to Melbourne?

Interesting what would happen if Brisbane played Collingwood in the GF. Think they'd probably wear their home over their 'Melbourne kit'

I don't think Collingwood would have a problem playing in their clash if they were the away team but can't remember how it works in a GF if they qualify after dropping the QF. White shorts with home provides enough contrast as well

I think this has been asked in years before, but if, say, Collingwood was to lose week 1, but then "looped around" and met Melbourne in the grand final, would Collingwood be considered as finishing higher still or would that swap to Melbourne?
I always thought it was just built from the ladder, so I just made my posts regarding that but I wouldn't mind seeing some mixing around for the GF

Imagine if Carlton actually had to wear this horrid clash in a GF. Yuck.

Wish the league could just scrap the whole white shorts for “away” team only, and scrap the stupid rule of team finishing higher on ladder getting to wear full home kit. As if Collingwood with home top with white shorts is soo unacceptable because they finished 1st? Their colours are purely, equally, black and white. Smh.

Last edited:
You've obviously never watched 2001 and 2002's Grand Finals.
Unfortunately history proves nothing.

1991 and 2015 Grand Finals being a case in point.

Or teams not wearing white shorts against North in the early 2000s.

Interesting what would happen if Brisbane played Collingwood in the GF. Think they'd probably wear their home over their 'Melbourne kit'

I don't think Collingwood would have a problem playing in their clash if they were the away team but can't remember how it works in a GF if they qualify after dropping the QF. White shorts with home provides enough contrast as well
This is the age old debate, Collingwood's "clash" really doesn't solve any clash problems. They really need to introduce an alternate colour kit (i.e. gold like on the logo) if they really want to solve any white clashes

You've obviously never watched 2001 and 2002's Grand Finals.
The Fitzroy red kit didn't exist at the time. I've also directly reached out to the Lions to ask if the Lions can wear blue shorts in the context of being the away team in the grand final. Fingers crossed that if they do make it that Belgravia/NB play nice :)

Who does Collingwood's clash jumper not solve a clash against?
Geelong/Carlton, etc. At a distance, all Zebras look the same, similarly for the Pies with their black with white stripe kit, or white with black stripe kit. I am just saying if they utilised the gold in some respects, they could make an epic kit anyway.

With what's available, the Saints/Giants matchup is going to be imperfect in terms of contrast. I believe white shorts have a place in modern-day footy and this board's seemingly unanimous opposition to them is something I find nonsensical. They're a great differentiator for the away side if the home team's jumper doesn't feature white as a core design element.
I don't think there's a unanimous consensus against white shorts per se, it's more the fact that they are used unnecessarily. North Melbourne home games being a case in point.

It's also been proven in the past - with shittier cameras and coverage than what we have now - that coloured shorts can be worn against each other.

Eg when North first introduced the inverse, they wore full royal in several away games including Brisbane, Richmond and Hawthorn.

This is the age old debate, Collingwood's "clash" really doesn't solve any clash problems. They really need to introduce an alternate colour kit (i.e. gold like on the logo) if they really want to solve any white clashes
Collingwoods clash is one of the best in the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back