GRFL Season 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s crazy to think all of Wychy, Nully and Lalbert have either won premierships or played off in them this year and should be looking at mergers. Looking ten years down the track though things are only going to get harder and you would imagine if Nully went either way it would secure the club they choses long term future.
If the GR does fold things will get very interesting.
I love going out to Ultima and it’s a great club but again they should be looking at Boga imo. They would be a very good chance of getting a true 50/50 merger if they are proactive and do it soon. Tyntynder I think should be the club approaching Ultima and it would probably turn them into a powerhouse again but I can’t see it happening.
Wandella and Murrabit will be interesting. I imagine they are way to big of rivals to ever merge but if they did they could be a very strong club in the CM where’s if they try and go on their own they’ll probably battle away for ten years before they find themselves in big trouble.
I don’t know too much about Quamby but unless they have some really big financial backers I can’t see a club willing to talk to them which is sad.
Moula is just too far away to be saved. I imagine they’ll try Nyah but I’m not sure they’ll have enough to gain to even talk.
Likewise with Macorna. They are just too far away.
I don’t think we will see many mergers though, it’s more likely a few GR clubs will fold or will just come in and we will see clubs just try to out last each other and the CM quality will continue to drop.

It's got to the point of merge or die for so many clubs. You can't afford to wait til you bottom out which is why I would encourage my Eagles to explore a merger with Nully, Ultima, Wycheproof or even Boga. We will not survive another bottom out like we did during my playing days

It's a tough caper to get sides on the park these days, I would think that long term Lalbert nyah balranald are all better off in golden rivers, with mould and quamby to recess.
That would make the cmfl weak and to possibly merge with sunraysia league, with the southern clubs to go east

UOTE="ROOTA#6, post: 59118131, member: 25665"]It's got to the point of merge or die for so many clubs. You can't afford to wait til you bottom out which is why I would encourage my Eagles to explore a merger with Nully, Ultima, Wycheproof or even Boga. We will not survive another bottom out like we did during my playing days[/QUOTE]

Fully agree there's a need to have both a major league and a minor league those CMFL clubs mentioned may find it a better fit in the GRFL

Fully agree there's a need to have both a major league and a minor league those CMFL clubs mentioned may find it a better fit in the GRFL
I think the problem is Mildura is over 200km from Swan Hill which is just too far to travel and you’ll just see players move to the minor league because of this and they would become stronger than the major league sides.
You could try a similar method with going to Echuca which is only 150km and the Southern teams could stay in the league but the Echuca area clubs probably have nothing to gain from it.
I think Swan Hill/Kerang are just stuck in a really crap spot where the towns are stagnating and the outer areas dwindling. I’m sure everyone wants to see some economic development that creates really strong growth in the area and the population climb but it’s just not happening. With the current population trends I just can’t see how the area can support two leagues into the future considering our isolation.
The only way that making a true Major league where we joined with Sunraysia or the similar work is if they raise the salary cap to $200k plus and keep the minor league well and truly below it. This could see people actually want to test themselves in a better league where’s atm the CM is not that far above the GR that people would really consider the move to CM as a huge step up.

I think the problem is Mildura is over 200km from Swan Hill which is just too far to travel and you’ll just see players move to the minor league because of this and they would become stronger than the major league sides.
You could try a similar method with going to Echuca which is only 150km and the Southern teams could stay in the league but the Echuca area clubs probably have nothing to gain from it.
I think Swan Hill/Kerang are just stuck in a really crap spot where the towns are stagnating and the outer areas dwindling. I’m sure everyone wants to see some economic development that creates really strong growth in the area and the population climb but it’s just not happening. With the current population trends I just can’t see how the area can support two leagues into the future considering our isolation.
The only way that making a true Major league where we joined with Sunraysia or the similar work is if they raise the salary cap to $200k plus and keep the minor league well and truly below it. This could see people actually want to test themselves in a better league where’s atm the CM is not that far above the GR that people would really consider the move to CM as a huge step up.

Is there a need to go to Mildura? 2 maybe 3 CMFL clubs go to GRFL would still leave a reasonable comp in the CMFL and drop the salary cap back to 80k in the GRFL

Is there a need to go to Mildura? 2 maybe 3 CMFL clubs go to GRFL would still leave a reasonable comp in the CMFL and drop the salary cap back to 80k in the GRFL
I think the problem is the GR need more money to get people to travel not less. Some of these clubs are 80km from anywhere to even recruit from and only have tiny local communities.
I think teams changing leagues is not helping the number one problem we have and that’s lack of numbers. Unfortunately I think the only real option is to disband the GR and lose a few clubs along the way and create a bigger CM. If we want a better competition I expect club mergers is the only way to go.

The Central Murray will survive with the Golden Rivers disbanding is what I am hearing
Lack of numbers (particularly junior numbers) lack of volunteers and lack of interest these days are the biggest concerns. Golden Rivers needs to disband, clubs either merge or fold and we have one league only to cover the Swan Hill and Kerang regions. We are delaying the inevitable, clubs need to get their heads out of their arse and act now.

If all clubs in Victoria had the same salary at 150 grand and metro clubs had 25 points, where they need to develop their juniors it would promote more players playing, the amount of metro kids that give up at 16 because they’re not in the a grade team or development squad is huge, let alone at 19 when they can’t get a game in the ones due to all the recruits.

Clubs located over 300kms from Melbourne and no secondary school should get allocated the max 50 points

This would push more players into the bush as players would need to travel to play for cash as they couldn’t get the same or more in the city as what is currently occurring and leagues like the Malle and golden rivers would still be here or talking about folding

I think the problem is the GR need more money to get people to travel not less. Some of these clubs are 80km from anywhere to even recruit from and only have tiny local communities.
I think teams changing leagues is not helping the number one problem we have and that’s lack of numbers. Unfortunately I think the only real option is to disband the GR and lose a few clubs along the way and create a bigger CM. If we want a better competition I expect club mergers is the only way to go.

Would either of Macorna or Quamby consider moving to Loddon Valley or too much travel involved
I know area well as lived in area as young lad in Murrabit and in Appin South played thirds with Appin there in mid seventies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that football in country Victoria is going to undertake some massive changes in the next five years. I believe that we are going to see the demise of the Alberton, Golden Rivers and one (or maybe two) of either Kyabram, Murray or Picola.

The Alberton league will in essence become West Gippsland's second division within twelve months, we will see GRFL teams merge and enter the Central Murray while the Goulburn Valley will have either one two-division competition (regionalised into North and South) or two district competitions below them in the Goulburn Murray region hierarchy.

We should be prepared for some of the biggest changes that country football has ever seen with a number of clubs from smaller communities around the state facing a 'merge or die' scenario.

Last edited:
I think that football in country Victoria is going to undertake some massive changes in the next five years. I believe that we are going to see the demise of the Alberton, Golden Rivers and one (or maybe two) of either Kyabram, Murray or Picola.

The Alberton league will in essence become West Gippsland's second division within twelve months, we will see GRFL teams merge and enter the Central Murray while the Goulburn Valley will have either one two-division competition (regionalised into North and South) or two district competitions below them in the Goulburn Murray region hierarchy.

We should be prepared for some of the biggest changes that country football has ever seen with a number of clubs from smaller communities around the state facing a 'merge or die' scenario.
With only 2 leagues in the afl central murray rac how will this work if there is only 1 league left in the area. I wouldn’t think AFL vic would be paying 3 or 4 people to run one league

What’s the future of the league? Surely there has to be big decisions for clubs like Quambatook, Macorna, Moulamein etc.. the Central Murray and north central in similar situations. Clubs need to merge or they will go the way of Wakool

What’s the future of the league? Surely there has to be big decisions for clubs like Quambatook, Macorna, Moulamein etc.. the Central Murray and north central in similar situations. Clubs need to merge or they will go the way of Wakool
Good question Roota I think the whole region is in strife basically because of declining populations. I know that 3 NCFL teams will struggle to field 2nds teams as this season goes on, I know that 4 teams are stuggling with junior numbers which with the points system is vitally important for the future. NCFL is in trouble Im sure those running the league are accutely aware of these facts but Im not sure those with their snouts in the troughs at an AFLVIC level are. If u hear Mcglauglin talking, football has never been in as good a place as it is now, unfotunately he cant see much from his office in Docklands. Country football is in crisis, hopefully someone at AFLVIC will grow some balls and tell these muppets running the show what is going on.

I don’t know what clubs like Quambatook and Macorna have to offer another club in a merge. Light on juniors not much in local senior talent and seconds made up of over 35s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back