So many holes to fill. Where to start?

Taking a look at the bones of what our next finals team might look like:

FB: Wood Cordy Naughton
HB: Richards. Young
C: Hunter Macrae JJ
HF: Mclean Schache
FF:
R: English Bonti Libba
IC/fringe: Dunkley, Daniel, Boyd, Crozier.

Desperately need goal-kickers (any size). Desperately need speed. Desperately need kicking skills.

How much has Dahlhaus got left in the tank?? He needs to play at such a high intensity to impact games. Has he run out of wheels?? What compensation could we get for him?

Roughead helped deliver a flag, but he’s of no use to us IMO. Particularly with us being so invested in trengove.

Clay smith, Dickson, roarke smith and Adams can’t get on the park. Great saying in the NBA, “availability is the best ability”.

Webb, honeychurch, campbell, Collins, gowers, Lynch and Roberts aren’t AFL standard.

Picken and Morris can’t give us what we need any more.

Wallis probably hangs on if Dahlhaus goes, otherwise I’d be reticent to re-sign him.

The exciting thing is we have amassed some wonderful young talent whilst winning a flag.

The rebuild can happen quickly if our list management, recruitment and coach get on the same page.

A top 5 pick, some FA compensation and Rhylee West is a nice platform. But we need to get a lot of things right to get back into finals contention in the coming years.

FF:

Desperately need goal-kickers (any size). Desperately need speed. Desperately need kicking skills.

How much has Dahlhaus got left in the tank?? He needs to play at such a high intensity to impact games. Has he run out of wheels?? What compensation could we get for him?

Roughead helped deliver a flag, but he’s of no use to us IMO. Particularly with us being so invested in trengove.

Clay smith, Dickson, roarke smith and Adams can’t get on the park. Great saying in the NBA, “availability is the best ability”.

Webb, honeychurch, campbell, Collins, gowers, Lynch and Roberts aren’t AFL standard.

Picken and Morris can’t give us what we need any more.

Wallis probably hangs on if Dahlhaus goes, otherwise I’d be reticent to re-sign him.

The exciting thing is we have amassed some wonderful young talent whilst winning a flag.

The rebuild can happen quickly if our list management, recruitment and coach get on the same page.

A top 5 pick, some FA compensation and Rhylee West is a nice platform. But we need to get a lot of things right to get back into finals contention in the coming years.
Dahl might get us back in the second round. I’d take it. I’d also trade Roughead. Maybe get an early 3rd for him.

I’d keep Dickson and Adams. Maybe offload Clay and Roarke. Too many players with ACL history on our list. Clay at his best gets in best 22 but we haven’t seen it enough and we probably won’t see it much going forward.

Also have a few academy players available this year.

A few father sons available next year as well. Right now we need to front load a few contracts, make some Biggs/Crozier type trades and no big trades.

If we sort our coaching out and our recruiters/list management team are any good we can bounce back quickly. Could be a decent clean out after this year, not just limited to players.

I’ve got my doubts on Cordy and Schache in that team as well.

We have a coach who who thrives on a story, who needs a story, and has openly admitted to being without one before the season. He now has one. We're almost at rock bottom. Then we rise again, even greater than before.

Cordy will be fine, he is still young and been given a huge responsibility of being out #1 defender. He still has a lot to learn and he won't have a mentor around him in game due to Morris being injured. Plus not getting any help from the mids

Wouldn't mind north getting desperate and throwing Dahlhaus some cash

Gee we are keen to offload Dahl. I like him - was s**t today but wasn't alone. Offers unique pace and courage. Still fairly young and should be entering his prime years.

Not ready to write this yr off yet.

Ground Zero - Lets do something really radical - put Gia back as Forward Coach, Rohan Smith back as Defence Coach and Stephen King back as Stoppage Coach

Ashley Hanson can be promoted to Barista and Head Table Cleaner at Woofers Cafe

Since the year is shot to bits anyway we may as well do some other other radical things like playing Boyd and Schache at Full Forward and Centre Half Forward and some young crumbers like Fergus Greene down with them

If Bevo still feels like experimentation how about also moving the opening Goal Kicker of our 2016 Premiership Zaine Cordy back down there as well, and Napoleon could give Jack Redpath a run behind the ball at Centre Half Back since we’ve got nothing to lose at the moment anyway

Tim English has shown enough to be given game time in the Ruck

Ground Zero - Lets do something really radical - put Gia back as Forward Coach, Rohan Smith back as Defence Coach and Stephen King back as Stoppage Coach

Ashley Hanson can be promoted to Barista and Head Table Cleaner at Woofers Cafe

Since the year is shot to bits anyway we may as well do some other other radical things like playing Boyd and Schache at Full Forward and Centre Half Forward and some young crumbers like Fergus Greene down with them

If Bevo still feels like experimentation how about also moving the opening Goal Kicker of our 2016 Premiership Zaine Cordy back down there as well, and Napoleon could give Jack Redpath a run behind the ball at Centre Half Back since we’ve got nothing to lose at the moment anyway

Tim English has shown enough to be given game time in the Ruck

qurja.jpg

A few basic problems We have a lopsided list 14 key position/ talls way to many in todays run and gun footy. The rucks cannot ruck get smashed each week. The keys cannot mark except for Adams who cannot get on the park. So not only do we have to many the quality is poor.

There is very little leg speed with JJ and maybe Ed Richards the exception remember speed kills or in footy lack of speed kills. Why are we the only club that never seem to recruit quick skilful indigenous players we could sure use a couple.

So we get smashed in the ruck and then as a result contested ball and we are not quick enough on the outside. Add in all the off field troubles and it all adds up to a five letter word SPOON. It is a super draft next season and we looking like getting pick one but we traded our second round pick as part of the Schache deal if I recall correctly.

There is only one way a total change . Thanks Peter but it is time to hand over the reigns at the end of the year and the new direction is a must how many others go I am unsure. We will just have to be patient while we rebuild the club and the list the longer we deny the problems the bigger the hole we are in.

Yes I know this goes against my username maybe it needs changing as well.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have never had an issue with Campbell in the ruck. Honestly deserves more of a go than he has got and gives us something forward. If we have kept him on give him a go.

Another very limited ruck that seems regularly injured. What point is a backup ruck who is often injured when called upon?

Unbelievably ordinary list management having so many fragile ordinary rucks. Boyd and Rough and Campbell makes three....

Beveridge is building this club the way he see's it should be. He effectively got rid of jmac and dalrymple who we are starting to realise now weren't on the same page recruitment wise. He has brought in young guns in their positions. I expecting a big clean out of coaching and senior management. Chris Grant needs to go imo

I have never had an issue with Campbell in the ruck. Honestly deserves more of a go than he has got and gives us something forward. If we have kept him on give him a go.

He can't run. He has no tank or speed at all, he is a huge liability in the modern game...

Have to respect teams like Geelong, Hawthorn, especially Sydney. Year-in year-out they make Finals. We had 10 or 11 yesterday from the 2016 squad which is enough of a nucleus to be competitive at least, not to be like witches-hats in the 2nd quarter.
At some point this year in defence we'll have Adams,Morris,Roberts,Cordy,Wood which will give us a solid structure to give JJ and others more freedom. We just need to etch a win or two to get the confidence back.

FF:

Good topic for discussion mate, but would be really worried about that defence bringing the ball out successfully. Only one player with any speed and kicking skills - and he debuted yesterday.....

You would have to have JJ back there to give more than one outlet, otherwise sides will just sit on Richards and restrict our movement. Or just let the ball fall into the hands of one less skilled users and watch us turn it over endlessly... Which sounds familiar....

Our list lacks speed and kicking skills....

Good topic for discussion mate, but would be really worried about that defence bringing the ball out successfully. Only one player with any speed and kicking skills - and he debuted yesterday.....

You would have to have JJ back there to give more than one outlet, otherwise sides will just sit on Richards and restrict our movement. Or just let the ball fall into the hands of one less skilled users and watch us turn it over endlessly... Which sounds familiar....

Our list lacks speed and kicking skills....

I hope we go balls and all for Kelly in two yrs (assuming we keep his best mate happy)

Can't say I'm sold on Cordy completely yet. We really have to start picking decent kicks but not at the expense of contested ball winning capability.

I might be daft but we could still make finals this year IMO. Comp is that even that we only need a run on and boom.

Early days but mildly irritated that we picked Naughton - such a shocking kick.

And that highly questionable decision to trade out of the second rd of the draft this yr may haunt us if the wheels really fall off.

As ever, our biggest gap remains a decent KPF. Getting ridiculous how poor we've been in finding or developing one.

We must offered Kelly a big contract but keep it in line with Bont. Both are good mates and being batman and robin would be great for us.

Additions from OPs side in Caps.

HB: Richards ADAMS Young
C: Macrae Bonti JJ
HF: McLean Schache DANIEL
FF: DALE Boyd Hunter
R: English KELLY Libba
IC: WALLIS, WEST, TRENGROVE, XXXX

Need to play a strange structure, with Schache & Boyd playing up on the wings. Dale deep forward. McLean, Daniel play wing and the wings play on ball/d50 support.

FA who I hope get a decent contract offer (offer them what would be band 3 FA level ($450K) but let them leave when they get offered Band 2 or better):

Dahlhaus - should get offered $600k+ by North.
Roughead -should get offered $600k+ by whoever misses on Lynch.

Both of those contracts would be Band 2, let's hope they get offered $750k and get us Band 1.

XXXX will need to be a top 5 pick this year. There are some awesome mids/forwards available.

I hope we go balls and all for Kelly in two yrs (assuming we keep his best mate happy)

Can't say I'm sold on Cordy completely yet. We really have to start picking decent kicks but not at the expense of contested ball winning capability.

I might be daft but we could still make finals this year IMO. Comp is that even that we only need a run on and boom.

Early days but mildly irritated that we picked Naughton - such a shocking kick.

And that highly questionable decision to trade out of the second rd of the draft this yr may haunt us if the wheels really fall off.

As ever, our biggest gap remains a decent KPF. Getting ridiculous how poor we've been in finding or developing one.

I think Naughton has been a little unlucky in that we have been such a shambles defensively and with so little run - his mistakes stand out. Can you imagine him not having an option to give the ball to when kicking it from near the point post this time last year ?? No, M Boyd or Murph would have been there for a quick release and not hung him out to dry....

He is fine for a long kick, just very loopy on short passes. It's definitely a focus area for him, but can be improved.

I have liked Cordy's aggression in the past, but he has been poor recently.

I don't think I will see another KPF in my lifetime, but I used to say that about something else until about 18 months ago...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back