CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Both these bands were absolutely huge in the early 90s and had a huge feud at one point, as well. Which one do you prefer, and furthermore which is your favourite album of theirs?

Mine has to be Guns N' Roses, and my favourite album would be Use Your Illusion II. If the best of both illusions were combined, we may have the best hard rock album ever on our hands, imo. As it stands though, both albums are still very good. Not as much filler/bad stuff as the critics always say (ok ok My World is a shocker!).

Furthermore I would be interested to hear which one youse think is more important/influential, in the overall scheme of things (most likely Nirvana imo).

I forgot to mention GnR Lies. The first half of this may be a doctored live performance but it still better than the whole 2cd live era album.

Im a fan of both bands, but i LOVE Nirvana, great band, great music and a great legacy. They changed punk/rock music which is ultimatly every bands dream

So ill fourth it on Nirvana

Originally posted by CarterS
Both these bands were absolutely huge in the early 90s and had a huge feud at one point, as well. Which one do you prefer, and furthermore which is your favourite album of theirs?

Mine has to be Guns N' Roses, and my favourite album would be Use Your Illusion II. If the best of both illusions were combined, we may have the best hard rock album ever on our hands, imo. As it stands though, both albums are still very good. Not as much filler/bad stuff as the critics always say (ok ok My World is a shocker!).

Furthermore I would be interested to hear which one youse think is more important/influential, in the overall scheme of things (most likely Nirvana imo).
Guns 'n Roses were an incredibly bad band. Having come of age in that era (i.e. early '90's), I can safely say that GnR were one of the very few guitar-based bands/groups/whatevers that I hated with a passion. Axel "singing" always sounded a lot like somebody standing on a cat to me. Nirvana were in a completely different league in my mind. Absolutely no comparison between the two.

To me Guns 'n' Roses were the best of the late '80's Rock and Roll bands. But Nirvana defined and popularised a form of music that was to go on and dominate the '90's (at least for me).

No question. Nirvana.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nirvana definitely more important. Better band than GnR as well. GnR were just trashy-glamy-blues rock. Boring. Nirvana brought underground noisecore to the mainstream. I don't think they did it particularly well, but Nirvana was more about the cultural and social phenomenon rather than the music. It was their attitude and their message and their anti-80s hard rock aesthetic which made them so influential and important.

I wouldn't say that I hate 'em both, but I've never liked either.

Originally posted by GoalsFrom50Out
I don't think I'd listen to a band more than I do with Nirvana.:)

Yeah, that was the case for me three or four years ago, but Radiohead and Pearl Jam are in my CD player a lot more these days.

I have to be in a certain mood for Nirvana.

The Hitman

Nirvana probably influenced more other bands, which ended up trying to clone them, but just as Nirvana brought their genre into the mainstream, Guns'N'Roses had a huge effect in bringing sleazy blues based hard rock into th epublic eye as well. Ratt, Motley Crue, WASP, Dokken etc had some success in the lower reaches of the charts, but Guns'N'Roses showed that a band of that ilk could shift a lot of units (sales) without being overtly commercial. When they released something a bit more commercial (Illusion singles) that grew again.

As much as they are not a similar band to Metallica, Sepultura, Pantera etc, they did bring harder & heavier muisc a lot more acceptance in terms of radio play and media attention/promotion. If it wasn't for GNR, I don't think Metallica would have been as big in the 90s as they were.

nirvana

nirvana because they not only changed the rock scene but the music world and changed a generation. Not too many bands in the world can say they've done that (exception The Beatles, etc...). They made grunge/punk music into mainstream music without selling out. Saying that, Gunners are a great band still. Without bands like the Nirvana and the Gunners, I'd hate to be living in a world just full of pop and dance music:(

Originally posted by Darky
Nirvana probably influenced more other bands, which ended up trying to clone them, but just as Nirvana brought their genre into the mainstream, Guns'N'Roses had a huge effect in bringing sleazy blues based hard rock into th epublic eye as well. Ratt, Motley Crue, WASP, Dokken etc had some success in the lower reaches of the charts, but Guns'N'Roses showed that a band of that ilk could shift a lot of units (sales) without being overtly commercial. When they released something a bit more commercial (Illusion singles) that grew again.

As much as they are not a similar band to Metallica, Sepultura, Pantera etc, they did bring harder & heavier muisc a lot more acceptance in terms of radio play and media attention/promotion. If it wasn't for GNR, I don't think Metallica would have been as big in the 90s as they were.

Yeah, good points there.

On the second: By extension, it could also be argued that GnR's success has also led to the greater mainstream acceptance and success of bands like Nickelback. Of course, if not GnR, another band may have done what they did and brought heavy music into the mainstream spotlight.

Guns n Roses for mine and easily.

Far more talented for mine.

I love Nirvana but not on the same level as the Gunners. My number 1 song of all time (from any band) is November Rain.

Originally posted by Black Thunder
Guns n Roses for mine and easily.

Far more talented for mine.

I love Nirvana but not on the same level as the Gunners. My number 1 song of all time (from any band) is November Rain.

I also like November Rain but not a big gunners fan.

Nirvana for me by a country mile.

Back