Triple J Hottest 100 2023 - Now with added 200-101

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought both Ashnikko/Dying Star and Jem Cassar-Daley/King of Disappointment were stiff.
My only other vote that missed was I Will Let You Down - RAAVE TAPES, which was never making it.

9 out of 10 of my votes made the 100, including three in the top ten.

I'm 36 and I don't think I've ever been so on the pulse ha. Sad to see that Paint the Town Red isn't up to the standard of Dennis Leary and Glass Animals for some folk.

9 out of 10 of my votes made the 100, including three in the top ten.

I'm 36 and I don't think I've ever been so on the pulse ha. Sad to see that Paint the Town Red isn't up to the standard of Dennis Leary and Glass Animals for some folk.

lolwut, Heat Waves is 1000x the song Paint the Town Red is come on now

Ass-hole winning was a huge stitch up but back in the day like 20000 people voted so it was more of a novelty I guess, that being said I’d rather listen to Dennis Leary 😂

One of the fun parts about the 20th Anniversary count is usually reminiscing about where you were, who you were, and what you were doing 20 years ago.

But I cannot for the life of me remember what I was doing for this count, I must've been friggen maggot for this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2003 was my grade 6 year.

Suddenly, the discussion changed and it was basically one big pre-season for high school.

We were all allocated prep buddies and my one, who was one of 3 brothers, would, 5-6 years ago, play in the VFL for Coburg.

What else was there?

OH!

Grade 6 sport.
Athletics carnival.
School production.

Coming from Mooroolbark, and having Eastland as my No. 2 shopping centre, going there after renovations was a forever shock to my system.

I forgot something.

January 2003.

I, along with family and family friends, would head off down to Phillip Island and stopping at Smiths Beach.

We'd leave early (7am-ish) to ensure we'd get there at a reasonable time.

Also, my mum's partner's then colleague's wife's son (stepson not blood son) helped me advance further on Banjo Kazooie.

I didn't realise this at the time but I was coming to the end of my Nintendo days.

I was eyes deep into The Simpsons Road Rage then.

Coldplay's Clocks finished in the top 5, but it was the Royskopp remix which I had no idea existed.

Apparently many people voted for it thinking it was the original, but that already placed in the 2002 countdown so all the votes went to the remix.

Coldplay's Clocks finished in the top 5, but it was the Royskopp remix which I had no idea existed.

Apparently many people voted for it thinking it was the original, but that already placed in the 2002 countdown so all the votes went to the remix.
I vividly remember the original being the theme of the 03 Rugby World Cup.

No idea if that was what resulted in a bunch of people wanting to vote for it, but it was certainly what I knew it from.

I vividly remember the original being the theme of the 03 Rugby World Cup.

No idea if that was what resulted in a bunch of people wanting to vote for it, but it was certainly what I knew it from.
I think it was a similar case to Blinding Lights in that it was released very late the previous year and just scraped in to that countdown. It finished modestly and didn't become popular until the next year.

If Blinding Lights was released a few weeks later, I think it would've shat in the 2020 countdown. A shame it didn't because it's a much better song than Heat Waves.

Dribbling another thought.

I didn't really get into Triple J nor listened to it until Year 11-12 making me a late bloomer as I was part of the mainstream machine.

I wasn't big on albums then.
Just the songs on the charts thus sheltering myself then.

I find myself struggling to stick to having favourite bands because I always feel hemmed in.

If a muso released an album, my thinking is I'd have to like every single song on said album otherwise I'd be fraudulent.

been listening all day at work as I pour beers, some great tracks but like every year, there’s some garbage in there too.

Powderfinger had such a big year that year, be interesting to see how many other tracks from Vulture Street would’ve charted in the 101-200.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back