Universal Love Gumby vs Daniher

Daniher vs Gumby; who is in front right now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When one of our tall players is injured, potentially Carlisle this week. Some Essendon supporters call for a Daniher inclusion while others call for Gumbleton. At the start of the year TRB had Gumby clearly in front - then Gumby did his ankle and a spot opened up for Daniher.

Who is in front right now and why? Does it make a difference with the delivery they get from the midfield? Can we play both?

Why not both?
HOEYKzp.jpg

Don't particularly rate either right now, but Daniher will clearly be a very good player at some point.

Right now, I'd go with Gumby because I think he's more capable of beating good, strong defenders in one-on-one or two-on-one contests, which is what we'll need against the good sides.

Awesome to have these two to choose to bring in - simply awesome.

It is going to be very hard to hang on to Gumbleton - there are teams literally salivating over the prospect of a KPF of his caliber. I really hope we can find a way.

Gumby was one of the key reasons Daniher chose us, and now Gumby is fighting with him for a spot. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be a good bloke.

Awesome to have these two to choose to bring in - simply awesome.

It is going to be very hard to hang on to Gumbleton - there are teams literally salivating over the prospect of a KPF of his caliber. I really hope we can find a way.
We can't really keep him can we... I can't see a way that it could happen. We certainly have to lose either him or Pears. It seems to me that Hurley and Carlisle are going to be switch players into the future, so there is no real place for Gumby :(
I'm beggin ya, someone tell me that there is something i'm missing here? And there is an easter bunny isn't there?

The whole idea of playing Gumby over Joe because currently he is better seems a bit suspect to me. Daniher needs games and experience in order to reach the heights he hopefully is capable of. Holding back Joe for a bloke who might not be at the club next year seems remarkably short sighted. Not that I have anything against Gumby !

Joe will improve if giving senior games, and he is key to our future up forward regardless of where Gumbleton is in 2014.

The only way I can see Gumbleton staying would be if Fletcher were to retire.
Still means we would have 1 too many talls, but could work around that with rotations and injuries.

Mind you I am in no hurry to retire Fletcher and that will ultimately be his call, but someone will definately be missing next year. Hope we get something decent in return.

Pears said he is hopeful of a new contract, and i cant see us trading anyone who doesn't want to leave, so id be surprised if Pears goes.

My gut feel is that Pears and Bellchambers are off (no source or anything, just gut feel). We can play everyone in that scenario.
They are both good mates i can see them moving together if they have to, i doubt they will though.

In my mind it depends on the form of Bellchambers. If he is out, Daniher is in. If he is in and we need to bring in a forward Gumby gets the nod. We all know Daniher is the future, but it doesn't hurt to build up Gumbelton's trade value.

Pears has shown some decent signs in the last 2 weeks keeping in mind West Coast were purposely playing through his man trying to expose him. Against Port he showed some of that dare and run that he consistently showed before his health issues. I think he is worth persisting with because he can easily take Fletchers spot when he retires as the 3rd key defender.

Baugly Hooker Pears
Dempsey Carlisle Hibberd
----------------
Winderlich, Hurley, Crameri
Davey, Daniher, Kommer

Yes, I am still firm in my belief that the team will benefit more from the ability to swing Carlisle with Hurley during games then we are starting Hurley back and Carlisle forward. With the amount of rotations in today's game this type of swing move can be really effective and just that other options weighing on the oppositions mind.

buckets n hurls in the backline

herp derp and gumby forward

hooker taking the fletcher role and pears taking small/mediums still frees up the option of swinging hurls/buckets forward also frees up the option of hibbard, dempsey, pears and hooker being lose man best thing about our talls are their versatility could even get hibbard and dempsey into the midfield rotations with that setup who wouldnt want to see the pig in the square i can picture it now ryder taps to watson handballs to hibbard on the burst drills a 60m goal

buckets n hurls in the backline

herp derp and gumby forward

hooker taking the fletcher role and pears taking small/mediums still frees up the option of swinging hurls/buckets forward also frees up the option of hibbard, dempsey, pears and hooker being lose man best thing about our talls are their versatility could even get hibbard and dempsey into the midfield rotations with that setup who wouldnt want to see the pig in the square i can picture it now ryder taps to watson handballs to hibbard on the burst drills a 60m goal

the flaw with that is Hooker cannot defend small forwards like Fletcher...Fletcher is the exception, not the rule when it comes to tall defenders. Hooker has improved in all the areas necessary to be the full back.

For me, I think Gumby is the player we need to get into the team. He is the right age and has more body strength to make an immediate impact. If we are to go deep into September a dominant forward is the missing piece of the puzzle.

I still love Daniher, but there is plenty of time for him.

If that were to eventuate I would want pick 1.

Different teams would be interested I'd say though.

I reckon pick 1 isn't worth our while though. We don't need Boyd, so we'd be better served paying less to get pick 2 if that' what we wanted to do.

Different teams would be interested I'd say though.

I reckon pick 1 isn't worth our while though. We don't need Boyd, so we'd be better served paying less to get pick 2 if that' what we wanted to do.

Can't we just get pick 1 then bargain with that? Collingwood have plenty of good young mids that we could cherry pick in order to give them Boyd, who would be the support for Cloke that he desperately needs. Putting Ben Reid forward is as short-term as Carlisle going there. They are both gun defenders so swing them forward mid-game if you must, but no more.

Daniher easily for mine. the game he played against Gold Coast was better than anything Gumby has ever dished up unfortunately, and it was only his 2nd game

also, why are people so blase about losing Bellchambers? Hille, i would imagine, would retire at years end, and we have noone else to backup Paddy, or replace him if he gets injured. Gumby isn't a ruckman, and I wouldn't be throwing Daniher into the ruck for a few years yet

Back