Does he stay or does he go?

• Stays

Votes: 54 70.1%
  • Delisted

Votes: 23 29.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Massively disappointed for him as I thought he did enough to keep his spot with his versatility against the Swines.
Admittedly there isn't a real match up issue against the Tigers to warrent releasing anyone in defence...
Fingers crossed its a stock standard flogging of the Tigers!
Gus should get his next game against the Roos or WC by my account.

Massively disappointed for him as I thought he did enough to keep his spot with his versatility against the Swines.
Admittedly there isn't a real match up issue against the Tigers to warrent releasing anyone in defence...
Fingers crossed its a stock standard flogging of the Tigers!
Gus should get his next game against the Roos or WC by my account.

I saw it the other way. He was the inclusion as the perfect match up for Gary Rohan. It didn't really pan out that way but don't see a great obvious match-up for him against the Roos or WC.

I saw it the other way. He was the inclusion as the perfect match up for Gary Rohan. It didn't really pan out that way but don't see a great obvious match-up for him against the Roos or WC.
I like him on Thomas with Doc on Harvey & Cripps or Hill are a good match for him against WC. Id prefer Hill as I think Gus could generate some good run out of defence on him.

Gus still makes the same mistakes after many years. He needs to be playing every week to make the afl grade to get these out of his game. Prime trade material and happy to move him on. Gibbo and burger going around during again hurts his chances.

Likely to be packaged with Hill if Hill goes to Freo, Freo have some interest.

Yep definitely think he will be shopped around.

You'd expect they would hope that Howe with another pre-season would at least match him, you've then go Siss who has rotations down back and it looks like Hodge and Burgers will go around again.

Worth a third rounder for mine.

Thanks crazywildhorse :)

A lot of list discussion on defence depth & best 22 of late so... Bump.

Everyone has favourites & Gus is one of mine as I see a battler with pace & a big kick.
Yes he has faults as does every player yet I feel there is still something there if value.

Off the back of a straight sets exit from the finals & the emergence of a more ballistic rebounding & contested game plan from the "top contenders", Gus is one of very few players we have with genuine speed & rebounding ability off half back.

List management for 2017 for me has Chip & Stratts as the only locks for the back 6. The players that surround these two IMO are all youth & form driven.
Silk, Birchall, Gibson, Hodge ect are all best 22! But there has to be appropriate selections based on form in 2017.

To often there are "favourites" that are backed in to bounce back from poor form for to long a period, depriving guys like Gus from adding to their career games all the while displaying good form at BH.

Without playing favourites, 2016 for me was a season that Gus could have been given 10-12 games to replace guys from poor form & shuffle the starting line up to get him in.

His versatility in defence allows more attacking players to be freed up yet still have the capabilities to run & clear the footy out of defence himself.

Looking to 2017 I really hope he can lock down a back flank & display the tenacity and offensive rebounding that is truely needed during this "reload".

Last edited:
Thanks crazyhorse :)

A lot of list discussion on defence depth & best 22 of late so... Bump.

Everyone has favourites & Gus is one of mine as I see a battler with pace & a big kick.
Yes he has faults as does every player yet I feel there is still something there if value.

Off the back of a straight sets exit from the finals & the emergence of a more ballistic rebounding & contested game plan from the "top contenders", Gus is one of very few players we have with genuine speed & rebounding ability off half back.

List management for 2017 for me has Chip & Stratts as the only locks for the back 6. The players that surround these two IMO are all youth & form driven.
Silk, Birchall, Gibson, Hodge ect are all best 22! But there has to be appropriate selections based on form in 2017.

To often there are "favourites" that are backed in to bounce back from poor form for to long a period, depriving guys like Gus from adding to their career games all the while displaying good form at BH.

Without playing favourites, 2016 for me was a season that Gus could have been given 10-12 games to replace guys from poor form & shuffle the starting line up to get him in.

His versatility in defence allows more attacking players to be freed up yet still have the capabilities to run & clear the footy out of defence himself.

Looking to 2017 I really hope he can lock down a back flank & display the tenacity and offensive rebounding that is truely needed during this "reload".

Me too. The last win against GWS was 2014, by 7 points in a wet slippery rainy days.

Gus and Gunners were the stand out performers from that game.

I recon Gus' best is yet to come. Probably not best 22 right now (although at his best he'd challenge Doc) and would probably get a game at a lot of other clubs. But I recon we need to keep him if we're going to lose Burger or Hodge or Gibbo in the next year or two.
Tries hard and could improve his composure,consistency with regular game time. Gus' deficiencies are that he can't spoil the high entry and he is not an accurate passer by foot. The long searching runs then a booming 60 metre kick look good but the ball often comes back even more quickly if the opposition defence can intercept. In 2017 Chips, Strats, Gibbo and Birch will be starting defenders with Brand, Burton, WX, Duryea, Howe, Hodgey and Silk in front Gus.

Even in 2018, with Gibbo, Hodgey and Silk gone, he will be depth only unless then pecking order changes. Heatherly, or another key defender likely to come in for Gibbo.

With this in mind it might be in both club and players best interest for him to become a delisted free agent and seek opportunity elsewhere. He would be best 22 in several other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think miles deserves a chance down back this year

I don't think we have to delist anyone with Mitch and Lewis moving on do we? Because of that I don't see any reason to move him on as his only 24 still and 7 years of development has gone into him. He is a confusing case Gus.

He has played 25 games in 7 years so that's a red flag. However, it hasn't been an easy back 7 or 8 to crack over that period of time.

Is he an athlete more then footballer? He just doesn't see or read the game of football well and this is highlighted when he kicks, or hoofs it perhaps is more appropriate. Because of this he is only suited to the backline as he needs a player to lead him to the ball and if he wins it's only going in one long direction.

He just hasn't suited the hawks style of play. Put him in the Bulldogs, Giants or Saints but and his strengths would suit there game style. Run and gun.

We are no longer the pacesetters in game style. If we are looking to get quicker and are placing less of a premium on ball use, if we are looking to win the contested ball as opposed to setting up our structures to win it back then perhaps Gus may have a chance this year. It will be interesting.

Big fan of Gus,hope he stays but sadly think he will move on.saying that if the backline cop a few injuries next year there isn't a lot of back up kiwi is along way off still gets lost out on the ground,brand is still a little hesitant in tackling with his shoulders.see what happens in the next week or two with Gus

I feel he is necessary in a few years time, but not right now with Birchall in the side. I hope we can give him more game time, I think he will develop greatly as an HBF

... I would rather Burton and Howe be getting games down back than Gus.

Burton can play anywhere.

Not a fan of Howie down back. Good defender but does not give us much zip and is not a great kick. 2016 was ruined by a knick in his calf that they were trying to stop turning into a full blown tear.

Burton can play anywhere.

Not a fan of Howie down back. Good defender but does not give us much zip and is not a great kick. 2016 was ruined by a knick in his calf that they were trying to stop turning into a full blown tear.

Agree but if you had a choice between Sicily up forward and Burton across half back or Burton up forward and Litherland across half back, where would you rather invest your time in 2017?

Litherland needs to be played in front of Gibson. He is stronger, faster and durable. Given the high number of floaters that Gibson kicks, the claims that Litherland burns the ball could just as easily be directed at Gibson.
What???????

Litherland needs to be played in front of Gibson. He is stronger, faster and durable. Given the high number of floaters that Gibson kicks, the claims that Litherland burns the ball could just as easily be directed at Gibson.

Ahh...the old blind kick to no one line or has poor disposal gets applied to Gus every game he plays; you would almost think it was an instruction when the likes of Smith, Birchall, Hidge, Gibson, Doc all tend to do the same thing. ;)

I find it funny that our game plan has a premium on possession yet the inside 50 entries relies on a contest or a chaos ball... that is opposite sides of the coin.

I have said on another thread that 2017 will be a return to contested ball but with a taller/marking team that can handle fast transition from stoppages & clearances; maintaining a premium on possession but from a deferent perspective.

Our defensive possession style has held up in the past quite well with multiple premierships but there always comes a time that change, even if minimal, keeps you in the game for longer.
That change will be that speed kills.

Fast ball transition from the back half to clear zones & hit up a marking target will be 2017 & that is where Gus should get back to 12-14 games.

When you have Vickery, Shoenmakers, Gunston, TOB, Burton, Sicily, Breust, Rioli, Poppy... BB, Fitzy, Mitchell, JOM, Langford, Smith & Billy all at some point & player combinations in the forward line why on earth would you not want to get the ball to them as fast as possible & not let the opposition set up while fluffing about across half back "maintaining possession"?

The other point to make is that if we go in with an experienced but slow backline in 2017 we will get smashed!

I am not saying that Gus is a walk up start best 22 but with what we have he is a point of difference to everyone else we have back there.

So our forwards must be:

Vickery, Rioli, Breust, Pops and Gunston.

Our backs must be:

Frawley, Stratts, Birch, Gibbo.

Our ruck must be:

McEvoy.

Our mids must be;

JOM, TOM, Shiels, Smith.

Our utilities must be:

Hodge, Burgers.

That leaves...

6 spots for:

Duryea, Hartung, Sicily, Burton, Brand, Howe, Schoey...

Who does Gus take a spot from ??? Fitzy, Woody, Lovell, Pitt, Stewart... ????

Back