News GWS award international scholarship to Danish footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Geez I don't know about this. Sounds Like Sous, Gubby and Sheeds have just got together and said heck lets just sign someone from Europe for the sake of it, gone and signed one recommended to them and now going to hope for the best. The giveaway for this is Sheeds' quote from the GWS website - “We have an obligation to invest in talented players wherever they may be around the world if we want to truly develop our game internationally.” That is, we're doing it in hope of broarder sport development rather than for his likelihood of making it at AFL level. In saying this, hope it pays off though.

Ok, what is happening with aksel bang, is he playing, injured, gone home ..what ?.

Haven't seen him in our reserves but from the original article he should be over here around now, and then for a more extended period later in the year.

EvWBopsl.jpg

OMG. He's eating in the inner west. How dare he not eat in the West. Giants CAN'T encroach on areas not theirs. Disgraceful abandoning of our core base. :eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

OMG. He's eating in the inner west. How dare he not eat in the West. Giants CAN'T encroach on areas not theirs. Disgraceful abandoning of our core base. :eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

It's not even a felafel!

After starring at the Euro Cup for Denmark last year in Scotland and ultimately receiving the Player of the Tournament accolade, Aksel Bang received a phone call from GWS GIANTS coach Kevin Sheedy.
The 21-year-old Dane says when the premiership winning coach asked if he wanted to come to Australia he didn’t have to think twice about it.
“I got a phone call in January and he asked me if I wanted to come down and it was an easy decision I think!”
The Dane who plays in midfield is only in Sydney for three weeks whilst on leave from national service in Afghanistan and will head down to Melbourne this weekend to watch the team take on an undefeated Essendon side.
“Coming down here has been so good so far and I still have one week so I can’t wait to get out on the training field with these guys,” said Bang.
Next week the Dane will get his chance to play footy down under when he lines up for the UWS GIANTS in NEAFL against Sydney Swans reserves at Blacktown.
Bang has only played footy for two and a half years with the Aalborg Kangaroos and Danish Vikings after turning his back on his childhood goal of being a professional soccer player.
“I actually played for [Danish soccer team] Aalborg BK as a youngster in the elite squad so this sort of environment with a lot of training isn’t new to me,” said Bang.
“At that time I wanted to become a professional soccer player but it didn’t work that way so I went to Australia and found AFL footy.

http://www.aflnswact.com.au/index.p...635&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Yay finally get to see him in full gear! From reports I've read he is super fast and agile. Could be that outside flair we need. Will compliment WHE and Whitfield nicely on the wings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know about our other internationals? Yoshi Harris the Nauru kid that can jump higher then NN and folaus cousin from tonga?? Also sobetwa from south Africa?

Anyone know about our other internationals? Yoshi Harris the Nauru kid that can jump higher then NN and folaus cousin from tonga?? Also sobetwa from south Africa?
Yoshi Harris was best on in the Sydney AFL U18s grand final last year, playing at CHB for Hills Eagles who won the flag. He's playing premier division (1sts in Sydney) for them this year (that's reserves for Hills because they have a NEAFL side).

Not sure about the other pair, don't think Sobetwa is around any more, I think Mahina (Folau's cousin) was playing premier division for Campbelltown or Hills in the last couple of years but don't know where he's at now.

Don't know if any of them are still linked with the Giants.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back