VFL GWS VFL 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s a great effort considering how young and inexperienced our whole vfl team is… especially the midfield. Keep stacking our midfield at next two drafts.

They had an all Australian in there.

FWIW the Bulldogs gamestyle - they overpossess the ball way too often.
How did Charlie Clarke go for the Dogs mate ?

We ran out of puff and just stopped in that last quarter. Final scoreline:

View attachment 1938229

Some of the stats (not the whole list):

View attachment 1938232
I learnt something today, which people probably know, the stats post game get reviewed and updated, does someone go back thru the game and do this? Anyone know? You see small differences in what was post game and what is there now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Btw if anyone is interested, Giants will play Swans in a VFL scratch match weekend after Easter. Not sure of venue.

I learnt something today, which people probably know, the stats post game get reviewed and updated, does someone go back thru the game and do this? Anyone know? You see small differences in what was post game and what is there now.
Yes. You see that on gameday (in AFL) when stats change at each break and the end of the game. I presumed it was the same for VFL (but I pay less attention to these stats).

Yep so AFL stats get reviewed by multiple people throughout the game and then once again later in the week, VFL get reviewed in particular sections where staff have marked that they had trouble capturing all the information live

Hasn’t the season proper, started?

Why the need for praccy’s now ?
GWS only played two practice games, having a two week break following round 1 ain’t helpful, so the practice game is very good idea.

Scheduling of the reserves has always been an issue from the NEAFL days with 3 listed players sometimes for the Darwin trips but from a report the importance is developing players and the system and for both listed players and a team for Academy players both current and former which I am ok with and I like the players ticking with the club like Will Shaw and I think Billy Clark is still listed for VFL this year. Others will try other clubs in the hope of getting drafted, develop as a player and also different opportunities and not sure on how other reserves team go about it but hopefully over time the club has former academy players sticking around for a couple of years or returning for a season or 2 and this coule be where the partnership the Western sydney uni could provide options

I think the VFL list needs a good mix of Academy and players and others pursuing the VFL pathway. The AFL listed players are fighting for AFL team spots and some can become more focussed on themselves, the academy players need the mix of good players around who are stable in the VFL team. The blend helps all, the GWS system does integrate the VFL and AFL a little more than other systems I think. Some other AFL/VFL systems don’t have that as much. Players who are able to play VFL and stick w the club for multiple seasons are an asset to the club as they learn all the systems and are a great support to the young and new draftee GIants when they are playing in the magoos . One thing I did notice on Sunday is we have a good amount of speed in the VFL list, There were good passages of run which looked good. I hope they continue to develop the running game…..even though it takes a toll on the tank.

On the weekend it was an impressive outing for the team given their lack of practice games probably showed in the end. Only 2 hit outs was a very small prop compared to others who played 3,4,5 practice games. This squad will get better over the first month of the league. I had never seen Wade Dirksen play before and he played halfback for a fair bit, I liked him as player. Darcy Jones looked good but needs a bit more team in his game and the big ruck battled really well against 2 rucks.

The VFL listed guys, which is my interest , were generally all solid, and from where I was there was lots of talk and direction……as I said before some good speed in their as well and some pretty instant feedback as well.

Cripps looks to do a good job balancing the needs of the AFL players and needs from the VFL program whilst not neglecting the non AFL listed players. I reckon you the Giants VFL is a pretty good setup that will continue to get better.

No worries…I tell you though I’m going feel weird next week at the practice game… barracking for the Giants v the Swans.hardly be able to look at myself in the mirror.

No worries…I tell you though I’m going feel weird next week at the practice game… barracking for the Giants v the Swans.hardly be able to look at myself in the mirror.
Do you know where and when the practice match is being played?

Do you know where and when the practice match is being played?
At Tom Wills on Sat, need to confirm time but think it’s around 930am

Remove this Banner Ad

Back