smooking39

Team Captain
Apr 30, 2005
australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Im in yr 11 and i started gym about a month and a half ago. During that time ive lost about 2.5kg.

At the moment im doing but always increasing
3 sets of 45kg chest presses between 16 and 10 reps
3 sets of 25kg shoulder presses between 10 and 16 reps
3 sets of 60kg seated pully rows 16 each time but im going to move up
then on the floor i do
3 sets of 30 sit ups of a fitball
3 sets of 30 legs and arm extensions with a 6kg fit ball

I feel fitter i noticed im becoming much more toned especially my abs.

Should i be loosing weight? Shouldnt i be gaining weight?

You are probably losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time...

But more of the first and less of the latter... One you stop losing such large amounts of fat (i'm not calling you fat, its all proportional) and start gaining more muscle you will see more weight gain.

How much do you weigh now?

Need to know your weight, build, prior history etc to make any sort of judgement.

Also, what's your diet like?

Yr 11, so that means you'd be only 16/17yrs old?
Everyone matures differently, but most people at that age won't be able to stack a ton of muscle on. The body is just too immature. That's not to say you won't put any muscle on, but don't expect to look like Ben Cousins by your 18th b'day.

Keep exercising, eating right and the rest will take care of itself.
Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.

My diet is average i make a semi concious effort to eat well but i dont say no to a pizza if its infront of me. My weight is 66.5 now. I have broad shoulders and i play football.

Weight training increases your resting metabolism and is helpful for losing weight, or so I am led to believe.

You aren't specific enough with your goals. What do you want to achieve? Do you want to gain a lot of muscle, or trim down for the ladies? Or both? You also need to provide more information about your current state- how tall are you? What is your body type- ecto (skinny), meso (athletic) or endo (chubby)?

I'm guessing you are perhaps an endo, or meso-endo. In which case, you should probably include whatever cardio you are doing, and if you are not doing cardio- start!

But yeah, provide some extra information and people may be able to give you some better opinions.

Id say i have a meso-endo body type. I weigh 66.5kg and i am 164 cm. I want to increase strength and look better but i want looking better only as a biproduct.

what else do people need to know?

Id say i have a meso-endo body type. I weigh 66.5kg and i am 164 cm. I want to increase strength and look better but i want looking better only as a biproduct.

I left high school at about 165cm and 57kg so I'd assume your solid.

I hit close to 72kg by about the end of uni whilst doing very little with a 77cm waist and 95cm chest. Basically it'll happen, with a few weights I settled on about 75-77 up until about 25 years of age.

Plug away but expect more results at about 21 years of age.

I wish I could still fit in them jeans.....

Well, I'd advise doing more cardio, but only on your days off. I dont know how many days you train (let's say 3 a week), do a 30-45 min cardio session on two of the other days you have off. Interval training works best (ie. 20 seconds sprints, 1.5 minute jogging, repeat for 20-30 mins or so). And dont do it on an empty stomach (biggest myth)

What you are doing looks okay, I'd drop your reps a bit and go a little heavier. Particularly on the chest and back exercises, do say 3 x 8-10, last set to failure. Also, try and add some squats (simply the best overall strength and mass building exercise in existence).

If your ab exercises are working for you, keep doing them! Whatever gets results :)

Other than that, just try and limit the junk food as much as you can, especially after your workouts, get plenty of water and sleep, and you will do fine.

Whippersnipper.. squats are evil :D did my first set for a longgg time the other day, only used 60kg too and I can hardly walk today and same with yesterday. Sadly its meant i couldnt run yesterday either which sucked.
Doing them again this arvo.. I figure the best thing for me is to work through the pain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im in yr 11 and i started gym about a month and a half ago. During that time ive lost about 2.5kg.

At the moment im doing but always increasing
3 sets of 45kg chest presses between 16 and 10 reps
3 sets of 25kg shoulder presses between 10 and 16 reps
3 sets of 60kg seated pully rows 16 each time but im going to move up
then on the floor i do
3 sets of 30 sit ups of a fitball
3 sets of 30 legs and arm extensions with a 6kg fit ball

I feel fitter i noticed im becoming much more toned especially my abs.

Should i be loosing weight? Shouldnt i be gaining weight?

Ok if this is your current program you should look at changing this.

Firstly you are losing weight because your building lean muscle as your hitting around 16 reps and depending on your rest period this may be the case. Rest periods are possibly the most important thing in resistance training aside from reps, and sets.

Lean muscle is more efficient in burning calories, and makiing use of the energy you put in your body. This will help you even burn more calories when you do simple things even sleeping.

All my weight loss client are on a set resistance program which is a full body workout in order to build lean muscle which is very beneficial.

The way to gain weight, or not so even gain weight, but build muscle is to hit out reps between 8 and 15 RM (rep maximum) with a rest period between 45-90 secs.

RM means that your must fail at your set rep.

The best way to up your weight is to do it over a period.

EG. Say you're doing bicep curls. Start off at 2-3 sets of 10. So your sets are 10,10,10.

Next session build up your reps. 11,10,10. Followed by 11,11,10 next session and so on.

Once you reach 15,15,15, add 2.5 kg. Or if your on a cable machine, add a plate.

Your program is ok for a beginner of all beginners.

PM me if you want a good program, free of charge;)

You can throw some cardio into your weight sessions.

I have a great cradio program that I use for my fatty's that works a treat. It is short and sharp, and you can mash it into your weight session. A good 60 minute workout, 40 minutes resistance and 20 minutes of my cardio program, and you are absolutely laughing my friend. All the way to the ladies.;)

If your concentrating on adding size, put your cardio towards the end of the session. If weight loss is your goal, put it at the start of your session. Reason being lactic acid.

Once again, if you want a good program, and some professional help, PM me.:thumbsu:

If your 16 and not eating at least 3000calories a day, you wont be putting on a lot of muscle. Just eat eat eat, each muscle 2 times per week, and you'll be good

You should be gaining weight. That's what doing weights is for. If you want to lose weight, just do cardio.

I'm not sure i like some of the info being given in this thread. The OP should check out www.muscletalk.co.uk and www.ironaddicts.com for pro advice.

Generally,you can't or won't build any significant muscle mass and lose fat at the same time. You do a bulking cycle, then if you're so inclined, do a cutting phase. Anyone who tells you different doesn't know what they're talking about.

If you're new to weights and young,and want to build real muscle, there's really only a few things you need to know. First,don't worry about isolations. Stick to compound movements, especially deadlift, squat and bench press. It's crucial to learn these excercises (form) properly first though, as deadlift and squat in particular can cause serious injury if not done right.

The other thing is, eat HEAPS, and don't be too pedantic about xxx mg's of protein and xxx amount of carbs and stuff. Just EAT. You'll have plenty of time to be one of these obsessive/compulsive calorie counting/protein counting/supplement scoffing types when you're in your mid 20's. Men don't stop growing until around 21-22 yrs. Until then don't bother be too anal about diet.

Forget cardio if you want to build mass. A little bit is ok, for general fitness. But lots of cardio isn't good for building muscle. You won't ever see a big marathon runner.

IF you want to get big, deadlifts and squats are the most important things you need to learn.

Yr 11, so that means you'd be only 16/17yrs old?
Everyone matures differently, but most people at that age won't be able to stack a ton of muscle on. The body is just too immature. That's not to say you won't put any muscle on, but don't expect to look like Ben Cousins by your 18th b'day.

Keep exercising, eating right and the rest will take care of itself.
Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.

If you think Ben Cousins is big, you've never set foot in a gym, as opposed to a fitness centre. I know guys that do turds bigger than him, off juice.

If you think Ben Cousins is big, you've never set foot in a gym, as opposed to a fitness centre. I know guys that do turds bigger than him, off juice.

:rolleyes:
Maybe I should have thrown Ronnie Coleman's name down. What with his physique being a realistic goal for average Joe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back