Player Watch Harley Reid isnt leading the rising star so far

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread is becoming a weird cult-like circle jerk of west coast supporters and Melbourne based club supporters hoping he comes to their club and leads them to a premiership o_O
I hope he stays there tbh, much as any of us would cream to have him, I like a bit of club loyalty and the idea of a player leading their club out of the wilderness.

Ablett Senior? That one handed take while turning his man for his second goal looked every bit Ablett Senior.

Ablett was 15 months older than Reid when he made his debut and was 22 by the time he played his first game for Geelong.

Reid's got power not usually seen from a 19yr old. Petracca is close to 100kg and he knew it was Reid on a couple of occasions when he had the ball so he was set to test him out and Reid was shrugging him away.

I always remember Tom Hawkins in his first year and he had this natural power and strength. Could maneuver blokes who had been in the system 7-10 years. Only became stronger in consequence years.
Reid's already doing that to players like Petracca so it's ridiculous to think what he may be doing in 5 years time at close to 95kg's.

Ablett was 15 months older than Reid when he made his debut and was 22 by the time he played his first game for Geelong.

Reid's got power not usually seen from a 19yr old. Petracca is close to 100kg and he knew it was Reid on a couple of occasions when he had the ball so he was set to test him out and Reid was shrugging him away.

I always remember Tom Hawkins in his first year and he had this natural power and strength. Could maneuver blokes who had been in the system 7-10 years. Only became stronger in consequence years.
Reid's already doing that to players like Petracca so it's ridiculous to think what he may be doing in 5 years time at close to 95kg's.
I doubt he will get to 95kgs and I hope he doesn’t. His endurance is his biggest weakness and something I can see in the future where it won’t be one of his greatest strength. He’s also so strong and powerful already for his mid 80kg frame.

Ablett Senior? That one handed take while turning his man for his second goal looked every bit Ablett Senior.
Still shaking my head at that one hours later

Saw de Goey do that once, and I mean ONCE, at his absolute peak as a forward a few years ago

This kid's pulled it off in his 9th game, incredible manoeuvre

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I doubt he will get to 95kgs and I hope he doesn’t. His endurance is his biggest weakness and something I can see in the future where it won’t be one of his greatest strength. He’s also so strong and powerful already for his mid 80kg frame.
Petrecca's early weakness was also his endurance. He knuckled down one summer and came back fit.

Reid will likely do the same in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petrecca's early weakness was also his endurance. He knuckled down one summer and came back fit.

Reid will likely do the same in the future.
Im not saying reid won’t be fit but for a guy with great attributes his endurance Will likely not be his strengths. Same as trac being fit but his endurance isn’t one of his strengths.

I had to Google that because it seems ridiculous and sure enough he’s listed at 98kg. Our AFL blokes would have to be the most well-rounded sportsman in the world. Strong, agile, have the cardio endurance of a triathlete and then execute skills off both sides of the body with both hands and feet.

Seriously how does a 98kg behemoth run 12-15km which isn’t just straight line running, but crash and bash, tackled, fall down, stop start. It’s mind boggling.

On Reid, anything over 95 kg is too much.

Last edited:

That’s such a good call - I was at the game so have just seen the footage, the way he simultaneously collected the ball and used his strength to skittle his opponent while turning goal side. Ablett was one of the strongest guys in the league for years obviously but when it’s combined with those ridiculous skills….scary good.

This millennium has seen many greatest of all time - Brady, Messi, Djokovic… plus arguables like Ronaldo, James, Hamilton, Nadal, Federer, Woods, throw in Slater

It’s been long enough, 30-40 years since Ablett Matthews Carey … hyperbole be damned Boy Wonder Harley Reid is legitimate potential beyond superstar ala Michael Jordan

The West Coast have outdone themselves

It’s just so refreshing that he is actually living up to the preseason hype and I don’t see him dropping off. Is there anyone else like myself who is tuning in to watch every Eagles game because of this one kid? When was the last time there was someone else like this?

Players in my lifetime you would tune in just for them if you had no other interest in the game, Reid, WCE Judd, Carey and Ablett Snr

Jason Akermanis an honourable mention

Remove this Banner Ad

Back