Player Watch Harry Schoenberg - Ruptured Achilles

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if they would now put Harry onto the rookie list given it will be 9-12 months out (similar to say McPherson last year)?
Highly unlikely. We can't simply "put" a player on the rookie list. We need to delist them, they then need to nominate for the ND and hope that no other club selects them. Only once they've made it though they ND without being gazumped can we re-sign them as DFAs, and put them on our rookie list.

Schoenberg is far too good a player to make it through the ND. It's not even remotely close to consider this a risk worth taking.

After a period of rest post-surgery he will begin his rehabilitation and faces a modified pre-season program with the aim of returning to play early in the 2024 season.

“He will have surgery on his Achilles this week and begin the rehabilitation process which we anticipate being around 6-9 months before he integrates back into full training."

I wonder if they would now put Harry onto the rookie list given it will be 9-12 months out (similar to say McPherson last year)?
It would be the inactive list, like we did with Seed and that other guy who didn't like playing footy.

It might open up a list spot for Hately or Borlase next year.

Club is also going to have their hands full to make sure he rehabilitates properly given Harry’s ‘alleged’ reputation and past off-season escapades, otherwise this injury could threaten his future career at AFL level if he mismanages it.

Highly unlikely. We can't simply "put" a player on the rookie list. We need to delist them, they then need to nominate for the ND and hope that no other club selects them. Only once they've made it though they ND without being gazumped can we re-sign them as DFAs, and put them on our rookie list.

Schoenberg is far too good a player to make it through the ND. It's not even remotely close to consider this a risk worth taking.
Makes sense. I really like Harry, but as a fringe best 22 player, and with a potential career limiting injury (and at the very least a 12 month injury), I wonder how many clubs would actually take the risk. Anyway, hopefully he recovers well..shocking injury to pick up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not his biggest football fan but this is terrible news

He may not play again until season 2025

This is such a hard injury to get right, and to get and sort of burst or power back

Shocking

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought he presented really well this preseason
Well probably a bit more decent then previously and as ok as you can after spending the off-season on a drinking tour of Europe. He’s still never come across as totally embracing the professional standards needed at AFL level when first coming in, it was like he acted as though he was a 24 year old with 100 games under his belt when he first started.

Long-term injury list more likely.
There seems to already be a bit of conjecture about the length of time he’ll be out for most people around and outside of football say Achilles ruptured that’s 12 months out but the club came out in their press release and said only 6-9 months out, if they think it is 6-9 months they’re not putting him on the 2024 inactive player injured list.

There seems to already be a bit of conjecture about the length of time he’ll be out for most people around and outside of football say Achilles ruptured that’s 12 months out but the club came out in their press release and said only 6-9 months out, if they think it is 6-9 months they’re not putting him on the 2024 inactive player injured list.
He will be on a long-term injury list... just a question of how long.

He will be on a long-term injury list... just a question of how long.
Long-term injury list no longer exists that was only originally there so you could promote a rookie under the old rules, it got changed to injury inactive list so players can be put on there to free up a spot for an SSP selection but only if they are ruled out for the entire season.

Never a good time to hurt yourself but last round of the year makes it even worse.

Not sure why you'd say that. 12 months is 12 months and doing it right at the end of the year gives him a preseason with the entire group before he's ready to go again. Would rather that than having to do a preseason on my own as Murray and Dood will be doing. Unless we were about to play finals, ala Smith in 2017, in which case it would suck big time.

The one that was strapped.

So we played a guy with a sore Achilles in a dead rubber? Why?
It was, Rowey said it was yesterday. Does seem crazy to play someone with a sore Achilles in a dead rubber and the club should be questioned on this because the consequences have been massive.

It was, Rowey said it was yesterday. Does seem crazy to play someone with a sore Achilles in a dead rubber and the club should be questioned on this because the consequences have been massive.
Daniel Talia situation :(

It was round 24... I suspect if you don't play sore players at that stage of the season then you won't have anyone left to pick from. Everybody is banged up by then - how many players are going out there without any strapping etc that late in the season?

Presumably they didn't think it was that bad. Alternately, if they hadn't played him, how long would the rest period need to be for an injury like that to recover? How long do they get off... 6 weeks? Although they still continue to train themselves in that time. But that might not have been enough - he might well have missed the game only to injure it during preseason anyway when the training loads are pretty enormous. End result being he ends up missing even more of next season.

I suppose a counter to that is the playing surface over in Perth is reputed to be harder than the other states, so perhaps that may have been a contributing factor that should have been taken into account? I'm not sure how much of an impact (if any) that would have on an achilles issue? Perhaps playing him in Perth was a bigger issue than it would have been if the game had been here?

So does that mean we sack Darren Burgess and Tim Parham because they would surely have had input if in fact the reason for the strapping was due to an Achilles issue? I daresay the final say?
Fits with the Burgess philosophy of showing resilience.
Wouldn't sack him though. Players must play with niggles a lot.

So does that mean we sack Darren Burgess and Tim Parham because they would surely have had input if in fact the reason for the strapping was due to an Achilles issue? I daresay the final say?
If we sacked staff if they made one mistake we wouldn’t have a club and given the mistakes Nicks has made it’s a silly overreaction on your behalf.

But it comes down to the mentality of the club where we’ve always tried to win meaningless games, even playing senior players you’re about to chop over developing players.

Just look at Geelong, sent a heap of players off for early surgery because they didn’t care about a nothing game. Who should we be more like? Geelong or Adelaide?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back