Analysis Have we messed with our structure/positioning too much?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we have.

Since forever down back our structure has been four talls when ever possible. Rance now Balta, Astbury Grimes Broad The only time we have diverted from this is when injury has hit. The other mainstays down there have been medium interceptor in Vlastuin and Small reciever Houli.

It seems to me when we have had players up to speed we have always tried to play two ruckmen.
This is why i have been a big advocate for CC-J. He projects as a genuine ruck man but a very decent tall forward to go with it.

In 2017 we played just one key forward but it was not by choice but neccesity.
The plan prior to 2017 was for one of Vickery or Griffiths to partner Riewoldt if not both. We certainly gave both plenty of time and games.

Unfortunately we had most of our eggs in too few baskets and Vickery and Griffiths became busts, leaving us with just JR. There was a long term plan to get Lynch in the pipe line and it came to fruition at the end of 2018.

Structure this is it for me.

B/ #### - Astbury - Grimes
HB/ #### - Balta - ####

C/ #### - Cotchin - ####
R/ Nankervis - Martin - Prestia

HF/ #### - Riewoldt - ####
F/ #### - Lynch - ####

Int/ CC-J - #### - #### - ####.

Who we fill the blanks in with is for me what is open to debate.

Down back Vlastuin and Broad are the two best remaining defenders and imo are locks. It leaves the running outlet player.

Wings well one area where we can significantly improve imo. Hard running both ways, Lots of pace with very good delivery should be prerequisites.

Forward why does it have to be three limited smalls? Why can it not be say a 190cm fwd who chases and tackles, is quick and applies pressure. Someone who can also be a decent part of rotations., Why not a goal kicking small who does the chasing tackling etc.

Interchange should be full of hard running players and ball winners along with your second ruck/forward if you play one.

The blanks for me should be filled in with the following.
Vlastuin, Houli, Broad down back.

Ralphsmith and Lambert on the wings.

Edwards and Bolton across H/F
Castagna and one of CC-J or RC-D forward

Martyn, Ross, Graham one of RC-D or CC-J on the bench.

I dont think our structure or spine has changed too much, neither has our defense to any large degree. Same can be said for the fwd set up as well apart from 2017 when we only had JR as a viable tall forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back