Autopsy Hawthorn (Box Hill) Hawks vs the Cola $wan$ - the YABBY medal needs your votes!

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of Hawks on here seem to have taken the loss well, myself I have felt angry all day
I ******* hate losing

I'm usually pretty chill a day after a loss (after a few ranty posts :p) but I hate losing to Sydney. I can take losing to the Pussycats because I have some sort of respect for their team but I can't say the same for that soulless club.

I'm usually pretty chill a day after a loss (after a few ranty posts :p) but I hate losing to Sydney. I can take losing to the Pussycats because I have some sort of respect for their team but I can't say the same for that soulless club.

Yeh its like what Dermott said about Essendon with the Cats " I hate them, but i respect them", but with Sydney its different there a pathectic plastic centrelink handout club with no soul.

Just a small thing but at the start of the match Lewis got a free kick in the centre where he could have gone long into our forward line for our forwards to contest, instead he kicked it into the man on the mark and Sydney recovered it. i really feel this set the tone of the match, its just little things like this you have to get right.

Just a small thing but at the start of the match Lewis got a free kick in the centre where he could have gone long into our forward line for our forwards to contest, instead he kicked it into the man on the mark and Sydney recovered it. i really feel this set the tone of the match, its just little things like this you have to get right.

True.

He also worked his arse off following his error to make amends and laid a perfect tackle on Tippett who threw the ball out with one hand (and not penalised) but was then finally rewarded himself with a free kick for too high.

That also set a tone for the night.

Yeh its like what Dermott said about Essendon with the Cats " I hate them, but i respect them", but with Sydney its different there a pathectic plastic centrelink handout club with no soul.

Sydney have had more success in the last 10 years than some clubs have had in the last 50, and yet they still carry on bleating for support as if they have a born-to-rule entitlement to be successful. I've got more respect for Carlton these days and thats saying something.

Sydney have had more success in the last 10 years than some clubs have had in the last 50, and yet they still carry on bleating for support as if they have a born-to-rule entitlement to be successful. I've got more respect for Carlton these days and thats saying something.
Incorrect, Sydney have had a pitiful amount of success in the last 50 years, my bowel movements have been more inspiring. Their greates period of dominance in the last 50 years has netted them two flag within 7 years???
Respect them goddamnit!

Cannot wait to play this mob at the MCG later in the year. For all our shortcomings last night, we worked our way back into the game, hit the front and should have gone on with it. Hogdy would have made a big difference down back last night. Hopefully his available against Port, Clarko in his press summary said he was right to go but the club did not want to risk it

Not dissapointed with last night, invaluable experience for the younger brigade, Hallahan, Hartung, Langford, Duryea and Hill, the run and carry from Hill was great to watch, i tell you what though, watching Clarko's press conference this morning he would have given a few of the guys a bit of a tongue lashing, he was seething, he was in a hurry to get out of there.

I think the Cheney experiment is done, feel sorry for the guy, he looks good playing for Box Hill but at this level his weaknesses get
exposed easily, a few times he shanked the ball with no real pressure.

Need Shiels, Spagher and Hodge back for the port game.

Almost exactly the same score line as the cats/hawks game.

Something odd about that.

Maybe Longmire and Scott chat on the phone alot and will try and orchestrate a Swans v Cats GF. I think Port and us have something to say about that. Throw in Freo...remember them!

What I take out of yesterdays game was. For some reason we started very slowly.. they jumped us out of the blocks. They did the same thing to us the last time we played them in Sydney in 2012...We also finished very poorly last night. The last quarter was difficult to watch. Lots of fumbling and poor delivery into the forward line. Well...really Sydney were very clean with their disposal as well in the last...they didn't seem to miss any targets when running it into the forward line...they played sling shot football against us once again.....hence the first goal to Franklin. Can I also add they kicked some very flukey goals out of packs..ala Malcevski once again pulls them out of his rear..this guy.

We could have won it last night. We had them. Our intensity was off in the last quarter. We din't clamp down. Too loose. We didn't have composure across key areas of the ground. Having some older heads out there may have been the deciding factor there. All is not lost. Can we beat Port. Yes. It just depends on our will to win. We have the talent. But it would be a seriously memorable one given who is going to be out.

Rise Hawks!

Last edited:
I wasn't able to watch the game last night so could somebody please fill me in.

What was the idea behind our defensive structure at the start of the game? I read that Gibson went to Tippett, Cheney went to Franklin and Schoenmakers started forward.

I thought the matchups this week was obvious. Gibson on Franklin, Schoey on Tippett, Cheney on Reid, Stratton on Goodes.

With their 4 talls in attack and no Lake, Schoenmakers was always going to be needed in defence.

M

Maybe except a lot of those injuries came towards the end of the year and we had way less wins. 2008 might also be a reference point - people injured during the year having mini preseason a and coming back and kicking arse in

That criticism is a little valid for games against the cats but harsh otherwise. We just won a flag! I have absolute confidence with Lake, Hodge, Shiels and Mitchell we would have beaten the Swans and the second and third quarters showed great promise for the younger leaders.

It is really hard going back to back and Hawthorn look like they're trying their best to do it witha whole lot of injuries. I actually feel pretty happy as a Hawthorn supporter at the moment and will not lose my sh%t if we miss a flag this year.

So long as if we don't win it goes to port or maybe Fremantle (for PAvlich not Lyon)

I wasn't able to watch the game last night so could somebody please fill me in.

What was the idea behind our defensive structure at the start of the game? I read that Gibson went to Tippett, Cheney went to Franklin and Schoenmakers started forward.

I thought the matchups this week was obvious. Gibson on Franklin, Schoey on Tippett, Cheney on Reid, Stratton on Goodes.

With their 4 talls in attack and no Lake, Schoenmakers was always going to be needed in defence.
I'm guessing they were hoping with our ruck advantage that we'd be able to win the clearance and get the ball forward for a goal early and put Sydney on the back foot. Instead they got it and locked it up forward. Was worth the risk I guess but did cost us 2 goals due to that match up.

Barring any unforeseen circumstances we'll likely have Spangher, Hodge and Shiels for the Port Adelaide game in two weeks time. You'd think that Spangher and Shiels will get a run at Box Hill next week. Our outs at his stage would be Roughead (suspension) Rioli (injured) and Cheney (omitted).

Hopefully Hallahan and Hartung will get another run against a very good side like Port Adelaide. Will be great exposure at senior level for them against quality opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely we're not conceding yet! It's round 7. Every team would dream to go back to back. It would immortalize this team. I'm not conceeding it to no-one until the last bounce of the H/A + finals! Injuries or no injuries.

Prior to the Saints game where we had all of Mitch, Lake, Hodge and Rioli out on the field, I would have said we had the best chance of anyone to go back to back since we spoiled Geelong's party in 2008. I honestly think all things being equal we can play a level beyond everyone else. We really are a great side to watch right now. Even last night with the world seemingly against us we nearly found a way.

Extended lay offs for Mitch, Lake and Rioli though have tempered that somewhat. That's not to say we still can't do it but we need all those others with niggles to start getting themselves on the park - Hodge, Sewell, Shiels, Spangher..... we can't afford too many new injuries or for these guys to miss too many more while those long term guys are recovering.

B2B is infinitely hard anyway but the past 2 weeks means it has become a lot harder to not only qualify for top 4, but to maintain freshness with rotations even should we do it. Not impossible we can do it - but an even greater challenge now than it already was.

Be a great result if we do though.

Surely we're not conceding yet! It's round 7. Every team would dream to go back to back. It would immortalize this team. I'm not conceeding it to no-one until the last bounce of the H/A + finals! Injuries or no injuries.

Of course it's not over. We are in the top four with the best percentage and we've got Breust, Roughead and Gunston who are 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the Coleman medal respectively. We've blooded five youngsters and they've all been impressive at different stages and there's a few more good ones we haven't seen yet like Sicily and Woodward. We are still right in the mix provided we don't get any long term injuries and we peak at the right time.

I know he didn't have great opposition last night but I was impressed with McEvoys game, thought it was his best so far. Seemed to be jumping higher at centre bounces. A lot of his taps did go to the opposition but Im sure with time this will improve.
What impresses me most about Hallahan is his disposal, both his kicking and handball are hard and flat.

Man we need to get Frawley. I know I'm annoying about this but I would get Frawley and another big defender if possible through free agency.

Our young mids look amazing, our forward line devastating. If we can buy a defence we could do something remarkable with this group.

Are there any other tall defenders up for free agency?
Frawley is 193cm and 94kg. Don't know if he is big enough for the Gorillas.

I'm not conceding anything; not next match against Port, not B2B - not nuthin' ;) - the premiership is still on :thumbsu:

Yes, we've got injuries but who knows what will happen later in the year. Other teams can get injuries, we might get lucky and have no more serious ones and some of our youngsters might really take off. Heaps still to be optimistic about, glass half full peoples :D

Think the stat for all 3 was sometime back in 2003 or 2004. Completely different team and era. Not really relevant other than to show how durable they've been as a collective.

Thanks for the reply Cryptor, and also Rioli Magic. I agree that the absence of all 3 back in 2004 is not really relevant to now, but it does show how durable they have been since Sewell came aboard. Surprised that we have had at least one of those 3 in the team ever since! If anything, it highlights that we do need to be preparing for "life after H/M/S", and this is what the Hawks are doing with the introduction of new blood into the middle.

Thanks for the reply Cryptor, and also Rioli Magic. I agree that the absence of all 3 back in 2004 is not really relevant to now, but it does show how durable they have been since Sewell came aboard. Surprised that we have had at least one of those 3 in the team ever since! If anything, it highlights that we do need to be preparing for "life after H/M/S", and this is what the Hawks are doing with the introduction of new blood into the middle.
We have been preparing though. Article I read from a link (believe it was on the AFL website) showed that Mitchell has dropped from about 75% midfield time in 2012 to about 45% in 2014 with the bulk of his time being on the HBF. Hodge has been playing long stints in the back line for years now also. Burgoyne has also spent a lot of time there and on the forward flanks also. And obviously Sewell hasn't even played in the seniors this season yet.

Most of the midfield work has been left to Lewis, Langford, Rioli, Shiels, Breust, Hill, Smith, Simpkin and Hallahan. Hodge, Mitchell and Burgoyne still go through there but I wouldn't say that's been their primary positions.

The succession plan has been in full force since the start of last year and probably even earlier than that.

I said it last night and I say it again when sober today that ANZ stadium is not up to AFL standard, we looked average there for the most part in Round 23 last year with our top liners getting us through and we looked very average there again last night, this time we didn't have our guns/leaders there to get us through.

It appears to be a greasy shifty surface which most definitely does not suit our style of play.

I firmly believe that regardless of our injuries last if the game had of been played at a real football ground like the MCG we most likely win the game.

No need for panic stations yet, we just need to make top 4 and preferably top two, get there with a healthy list and we are still the ones to beat.

Frawley is 193cm and 94kg. Don't know if he is big enough for the Gorillas.
That's 2cm less than Lake. Negligible difference. It's all about positioning and body work anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back