Autopsy Round 8 2018 Hawthorn vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

You get the impression that he's the type who's drive for success and perfection comes from some horrific mental disorder, constantly bubbling just below the surface, subdued only by premierships and public accolades. I suspect 10 flags wouldn't be enough to heal the mental scars of 2012.

He's a little fella. He smacks of sincere and irreversible small-man syndrome.

Robbo bit harsh

7. ISAAC HEENEY
Hawks sharpshooter Luke Breust kicked three goals and two of them came because of the lairising from the Swans player. In the third quarter Heeney flew for a mark in the goalsquare and didn’t hold it and Breust roved and goaled. On the wing in the same quarter, Heeney flirted with a one-handed take and didn’t control the ball. The Hawks won the ball, got it forward and Breust kicked his second of the quarter. Heeney had to play percentages and not play “look at me’’ football. He can thank Ben Ronke for making sure his mistakes didn’t cost Sydney the match.

Robbo bit harsh

7. ISAAC HEENEY
Hawks sharpshooter Luke Breust kicked three goals and two of them came because of the lairising from the Swans player. In the third quarter Heeney flew for a mark in the goalsquare and didn’t hold it and Breust roved and goaled. On the wing in the same quarter, Heeney flirted with a one-handed take and didn’t control the ball. The Hawks won the ball, got it forward and Breust kicked his second of the quarter. Heeney had to play percentages and not play “look at me’’ football. He can thank Ben Ronke for making sure his mistakes didn’t cost Sydney the match.

He's pretty accurate with those instances. Both instances called for decisions that were more simple than what he chose. That said Heeney was really good for most of the game and has been fantastic all year.

He's pretty accurate with those instances. Both instances called for decisions that were more simple than what he chose. That said Heeney was really good for most of the game and has been fantastic all year.

I thought he had some errors, but hardly liairising and also to make the top things he hated for the round, bit much

The Winnie Blue huffing, Corona swilling Chiko-Slobarian is void of credibility.

Isaac only goes up in my estimation.

The buckets he dropped on Worsfold in the same article are enough to make me think the Chemist is a coaching genius. Slobbo has a dream of restoring the Hird back to the doper throne.

Robbo bit harsh

7. ISAAC HEENEY
Nice to see "lairising" in print but.

Bloody hell. That mark by Gaz in the last 100 seconds!

I think Rohan needs more kudos for his game. His pressure work was great. That mark where he checked the flight, turned his back on the ball, ducked his head, dug in and sprinted for 10m, then turned blind to take the mark. Follows up with perfect pass to Ronke in the square for the sealer.

Play of the day for me.

I totally agree with this statement. I have been extremely critical of Horse and the coaching staff for their lack of flair and initiative in pressure situations. Their seeming inability to change the set ups and tactics at stoppages was infuriating. Their slipping back to the zone forward defence was also infuriating. Kicking down the line and their inability to find solutions like passing the ball. But on Friday night that all changed. I don't know if these teething problems are due to the changing of the game plan and players still getting used to playing that way or just the coaches and players inability to adjust from the Buddy/Sam model to a small forward model. But tonight they did.

I thought the Kennedy to CHF was a great move. He wasn't impacting the play in the middle and we needed another player who can play tall in the forward line. The player who went into Kennedy's spot that you haven't mentioned was Dan Robinson. I thought he did a sensational job too. His extraction and ability to push the ball out of packs really impacted the game. He may have had only 20 disposals but impact was far higher than that. He will not get stats for pressure acts and knocking the ball out of packs to teammates but he did that. In fact I'd say the set ups and tactics changed when Dan went in there and when Joey came back we actually lost momentum for a while. That would be because what we do when Kennedy is in there is predictable but Robbo is an unknown quantity. It won us the match that move. Parker, Heeney & Robbo were great and they fed Ollie, Harry, Jones & Lloydy. Speaking of Lloydy I think he is the most underrated player in the AFL. He got 36 disposals at 72.2 is pretty good although the efficiency is slightly down on usual, generally over 80%.

If the coaches can keep thinking outside the box and the players are able to execute the plan then we might do ok this year. I'm still not sure, because of our inconsistency and inability to play the SCG, whether we are in 2011 or 2012 mode. But I'm almost a believer that the new coaching panel is rubbing off on Horse.

So refreshing to see some knowledge into the situation. All the week the knock on Robinson was full on, "not up to it" etc and the disappointing feature of it all was there was statement and no factual back up to the guesswork.
So many forgot his handiwork of previous seasons and the only reason he was not playing was as stated before, he did his shoulder and could not get back into a winning side . last ear. So far we are not a winning side competing against all odds like last year. Our three losses and injuries have meant we had to call up NEAFL players who are performing.
Early last year, decimated by injury and going 0-6 we had to bring in a lot of young players including Florent and Hayward who were early draft picks. Newman and Fox both got early games based on NEAFL form.. Harry Marsh was another.
Robinson did what he was asked, delivered and got his reward.
Thank you again for some sanity, the young bloke deserves your high praise. I was pushing for him on the basis that he is a team player and hoped that was what he would come up with.
Newman, and O'Riodon put in the same effort in the NEAFL this week. Keeps everybody on their toes.

Hope the umpires don't actually listen to his sooky bitching or our defense is going to get pinged for everything

Has the same whiff about it as 2005/06 when our backs were accused of tunneling Riewoldt & others.

Bloody hell. That mark by Gaz in the last 100 seconds!

I think Rohan needs more kudos for his game. His pressure work was great. That mark where he checked the flight, turned his back on the ball, ducked his head, dug in and sprinted for 10m, then turned blind to take the mark. Follows up with perfect pass to Ronke in the square for the sealer.

Play of the day for me.
Agreed. Now if he can just do that in a grand final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to admit, I did have a bit of a chuckle when supercoach Clarkson sent Roughead back into defence, given the amount of flak that Horse gets for sending Reid back.
As did North Melbourne's Brad <insert one of the twin's names here> Scott the week before with Ben Brown ;)

Robbo bit harsh

7. ISAAC HEENEY
I like the way Heeney plays.
I don’t want him to be safe and mediocre.

I think he is very competitive (he likes to win) and he is a leader. I think he will be an asset in the mids.

He looks bored in defence this year.
So his lack of enthusiasm makes you think he deserves a spot in the mids?

At this point I don’t think he would translate to a midfielder. He has had runs through there this season and not done anything

Think our lack of a suitable replacement for Melican has impacted the consistency of both Mills and Rampe. Both have shown flashes but extra defensive responsibilities are taking a toll.
Need to find a special player to fill the void if Mills is taken out of that defensive group
Agreed completely! Melican was taking our number 1/2 forward. Between Grundy, Rampe & Melican that was their 3 primary targets taken with Smith taking their best small forward. Remove one of them and suddenly Mills isn't responsible for forward number 5 or 6. Once we get our defensive players back I fully expect Mills to be let off the chain a bit more

So his lack of enthusiasm makes you think he deserves a spot in the mids?

At this point I don’t think he would translate to a midfielder. He has had runs through there this season and not done anything
Well he was pick 3 for us and was drafted as a mid.
I hope he does get more of a run there ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back