Competitions Health and fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

Holy cow, this really is a thing. The organisers need to sort this s**t out. Its pretty frustrating after you’ve saved a bit in the tank for the last ten km, only to find yourself darting between all manner of paces spread right across the path.

Otherwise though, it was a great morning. Good community vibes, perfect weather. I felt good the whole time, and I improved my Mara PB, but didn’t quite achieve my first two goals. Next time!

And now I’ve had my first two beers in a week and Im off to watch the Roos, so life is good indeed.

How did you go mate?
Nice one mate, I had a bit of a tough day.

On pace til almost halfway, then my hammy tightened up. Adjusted and ran a bit slower, was tracking ok, then on the Tan hill it pinged, made it a pretty tough last 5km.

Ran a 3:13, which was a lot slower than I was hoping, but my best at Melbourne in 12 runs, so pretty happy with that, particularly with how the second half went!

On pace til almost halfway, then my hammy tightened up. Adjusted and ran a bit slower, was tracking ok, then on the Tan hill it pinged, made it a pretty tough last 5km.

Ran a 3:13, which was a lot slower than I was hoping, but my best at Melbourne in 12 runs, so pretty happy with that, particularly with how the second half went!
3.13 after pinging a hammy is a bloody good effort mate! Well done. Hope your leg recovers soon.

lol deciding what to do next….

Stick with the 5k? Or 10k? Or half mara?

I weirdly miss it already
I reckon you're primed for a 10 or half, maybe 10 first?

Love it you're already missing it, you're hooked!!

I spend the entire time running a race swearing I'll never do it again, then start planning for the next one as soon as I cross the line 🤣

Well done. I have a mate who did it in 3:13 too and there's some video of him at the finish line. I'll have to scan it for anyone in North colours.

Well done. I have a mate who did it in 3:13 too and there's some video of him at the finish line. I'll have to scan it for anyone in North colours.
I wasn't in North colours, if I'm in the video I'm the one in the green singlet and yellow shorts looking a bit rough!

That’s a great run on one leg, well done mate

cm.jpg
Bit of motivation to get the hammy right for next February. Managed to get a spot for the Cradle Mountain Run in Tassie. 80km trail run from Cradle Mountain to Lake St Clair on the Overland Track. Pretty pumped, should be an epic run. Limited to 60 runners because it is through the World Heritage Area, went on sale at 8pm last night and apparently sold out in 3 minutes! Glad Ticketmaster wasn't involved 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved it! One minor gripe is they really need to sort out the area straight after the finish line in my opinion; not sure about other events yesterday but after the 10k it was really clogged and hard to keep moving. Otherwise, the morning was fabulous! My son did his 10k in 51mins, not bad for hardly any training... (the benefits of being a 'youf')... Me, a lot slower, but felt great all the way (not that the event photos would reflect that haha). Well done to all the participants, whatever the event :)

I rate the Maurten drink mixes, I had one the night before my 5k

Now sipping on one before my trial tonight, I like how it’s got no flavour but tastes like brown sugar lol

I brought the $35 pack at the running expo and love the bottles

Highly considering a move back to soccer.

My boyfriend has made me fall in love with the sport again.

Will most likely spend a season in state league 1 then make moves to the NPL.

Highly considering a move back to soccer.

My boyfriend has made me fall in love with the sport again.

Will most likely spend a season in state league 1 then make moves to the NPL.
Do it. It is after all… the beautiful game. Soccer, in particular women's soccer, is so popular and is only going to become more popular you'll benefit in so many ways on and off the field.

I have a question about running.

It's twofold. Advice for an unfit, slightly overweight 46 year old male. The other for my 12 and 14 year olds.

The 12 & 14yos want to spend the summer getting in the best shape possible for footy next year. The last 3 weeks we've rocked up to our local 5km parkrun. No prep, no midweek anything.
14 yo -> 25:57min -> 23:22min -> 22:49min
12 yo -> 30:26min -> 27:17min -> 26:38min

So is focusing on the 5km the right thing???? Should they be hitting sub20min??? What should/could we be doing during the week to improve????

And me - Ran 32:41min last week (first time in my life I've done 5km without stopping). I was completely spent at the end so I'm a long way off but inspired by my boys. What should I be doing??? A part from the mega scotches on the Friday the night before??

It's twofold. Advice for an unfit, slightly overweight 46 year old male. The other for my 12 and 14 year olds.

The 12 & 14yos want to spend the summer getting in the best shape possible for footy next year. The last 3 weeks we've rocked up to our local 5km parkrun. No prep, no midweek anything.

So is focusing on the 5km the right thing???? Should they be hitting sub20min??? What should/could we be doing during the week to improve????

And me - Ran 32:41min last week (first time in my life I've done 5km without stopping). I was completely spent at the end so I'm a long way off but inspired by my boys. What should I be doing??? A part from the mega scotches on the Friday the night before??
Nice one mate.
I haven’t played footy for more than two decades, so I can’t really help you with that side of things.
But if you wanna improve your times, I think the first step is just getting more kms into your legs every week.
It could just be doing 2-3 easy paced sessions for half an hour each, in addition to parkrun.
If you wanna get more serious and throw in some interval sessions too, there are quite a few decent sub20 training guides online.
Judging by your kids’ substantial improvements, I bet they’ll both be sub20 within a few months if they can keep that up.

Nice one mate.
I haven’t played footy for more than two decades, so I can’t really help you with that side of things.
But if you wanna improve your times, I think the first step is just getting more kms into your legs every week.
It could just be doing 2-3 easy paced sessions for half an hour each, in addition to parkrun.
If you wanna get more serious and throw in some interval sessions too, there are quite a few decent sub20 training guides online.
Judging by your kids’ substantial improvements, I bet they’ll both be sub20 within a few months if they can keep that up.
Thanks man!!!!

Their last day of school is today so hoping to throw in some extra stuff midweek.

Is sub20 enough of a goal for someone pushing for rep/state/academy? I say 20 because it seems lightyears from what I can do haha

Is sub20 enough of a goal for someone pushing for rep/state/academy? I say 20 because it seems lightyears from what I can do haha
I should let someone who’s actually been involved in underage footy development programs answer that.

I'm interested too, as my little blokes are a bit younger than yours.

My hunch is that if your eldest wanted to have a serious go at footy, he should be targeting at least sub18 within a couple years? But like I say, that's just a hunch.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, but 2km and 3km are what are generally used to assess fitness in footy players.

Normally in the off season it's 1-2 interval type sessions per week (Mona fartlek for example), 2 longer runs (usually longer and slower than a 5km).

I love 5km so I target that but it's to my detriment for footy.

I'd be tempted to go

• 1 X fartlek session per week
• 1 X sprint session, it's important to train for speed
• 1-2 long easy runs per week

They're both improving rapidly and that's as good a sign as you need that the work is paying off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back