News The Rain and Floods

Remove this Banner Ad

Things continue to deteriorate up here with the water just clicking 12m which is earlier than expected.

Mooroopna basically isolated and many parts of central Shepp getting water into properties.

My area is slightly raised so we are good but yeh it’s pretty unpleasant

Things continue to deteriorate up here with the water just clicking 12m which is earlier than expected.

Mooroopna basically isolated and many parts of central Shepp getting water into properties.

My f in-law at kialla next to airport, says he’s still dry but I would’ve thought it can’t be far away 🤞he doesn’t cop it!

When it comes to support for those impacted, what are the priorities/best things others can do? Is it just stay out of the way and direct funds to groups on the ground?

My f in-law at kialla next to airport, says he’s still dry but I would’ve thought it can’t be far away 🤞he doesn’t cop it!

Probably Neighbor of mine …look and behave like this guy?

season 5 GIF

All the best Gaso. When we (us and the neighbours) were cut off this year we all went and checked on each other, made sure we were all okay for food, vital meds and comms of someone needed to contact family or medical people about medication and ongoing conditions.

It might be a good chance to bond with your neighbours.

Yeh don’t come up because you won’t get in.

I expect that in a weeks time we are going to need Electricians, Plumbers and Labor

There’s a shortage as it is up here
There will be a shortage everywhere. There already is. Carpenters were charging $200 per hour in Newcastle last week based on what i heard. Plenty of places struggling to get work done and materials or parts. People without insurance better off in many cases cos they have made do and got whatever they could get done done. Its the people with insurance who are still waiting for approved tradies and materials and may still be 18 months after the floods.

Where'd you live?

I used to nick my olds' car and drive round the corner to that pub when I was about 16 to try and get away with buying beer without ID.
Strathmore, went to school in Essendon.
My best man, had his bucks party at the Anglers in 2007. At least we started there around noon before ending up blotto in the city that night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Levels peaked at 12.06m

Scientists had our joint flooded at 12.03m

Wrong

We now know 13m means the whole lot of us are ruined

So now we sit around and wait for it to drop. It’s been sitting at 12.04-06 for about 8 hours now

We are basically two towns split with the three roads across the River flooded. Thankfully we have a Supermarket on our side but most fresh stock was going out the door on Saturday.

Most services and shops closed.

It’s a public holiday in the midst of misery for some

Power in Mooroopna a big problem with large parts under water.
The power substation there runs several other towns power like Tatura.

About to take Woof for a walk to see where our closest water level is compared to 8pm last nigt

Levels peaked at 12.06m

Wrong

So now we sit around and wait for it to drop. It’s been sitting at 12.04-06 for about 8 hours now

We are basically two towns split with the three roads across the River flooded. Thankfully we have a Supermarket on our side but most fresh stock was going out the door on Saturday.

About to take Woof for a walk to see where our closest water level is compared to 8pm last nigt

Jesus Gaso, all feeling for you. Keep updating and we know you'll look after everyone coz that's the bloke you are.

Shinboner 👍
( what's the rain forecast ? ☹ )

Levels peaked at 12.06m

Wrong

A handful of years ago when I was a poor and humble farmer, we had about 40 acres under water. While out walking about checking things out, one of our dogs went for a swim in his fave dam, except the dam was about 3m under the flood level. Mind you, the big old boy still swam in the same circle that the dam was, funny to watch.

Strathmore, went to school in Essendon.
My best man, had his bucks party at the Anglers in 2007. At least we started there around noon before ending up blotto in the city that night.
I lived in Mascoma St for a while. What school? I have a feeling its the same one I went to based on something you said ages ago.

Levels peaked at 12.06m

Wrong

Great to know your house is okay. That's a huge relief. There is a good chance you'll lose power at stages during the recovery so having a gas cooker on hand will be helpful. We lost the only Telstra tower too for a while. Had to drive to a spot 10km up the road where we had LoS to towers on the coast and in Qld. But only after someone dumped a few cubic metres of dirt into the massive hole in the road!

Levels peaked at 12.06m

Wrong

Take care, Gaso.

We’ve got family in Echuca and Euroa who’ve been evacuated - a relative is a police officer in Echuca and of course also local emergency response so he’s been flat out.

Yes, it is changing. My point is the ice will go even without humans, so it is an inevitability unless we plan to freeze the oceans. We are speeding up the process, it would be desirable if we stopped speeding it up. We are making half-arsed attempts to try and slow our impact but those that generate the most CO2 aren't required to even slow down their emissions so I can't see how we are going to slow it down let alone stop it based on current efforts.

My point is not to panic every time it rains or we have a drought and say this is global warming and the end is nigh. If we didn't have three consecutive La Nina's it wouldn't have been as bad. Consecutive La Ninas have over-saturated the land. They don't expect more frequent occurrences of La Ninas based on current knowledge as a result of climate change, they just expect them to become more intense with the rise in temperature.

Attribute the parts that science attributes to climate change, we don't need to make up the rest.

We've known for decades that we are going to get larger more intense weather events because of climate change. What preparations have we made? Nothing. We know we are more prone to dangerous fire seasons, especially during drought, what have we done to reduce the risk and minimise the damage when it occurs? Nothing.

The result is people die, a lot of damage is done. It is easier to just blame climate change and do nothing rather than say, okay, this is the s**t we have to deal with, how are we going to deal with these events.

Do you? Even the experts don't know exactly how everything works, they still do a lot of research to try and figure stuff out.

And what is the point of me doing that? Yes it has, and it is going to get worse especially when we get periods of consecutive La Ninas, but there are things we can do to reduce the impact of flooding. We've known a long time about the s**t we will have to deal with, we haven't done anything about it. This government doesn't do pro-active s**t until we get a royal commission to say c'mon man, do something. The sad reality is the opposition is even worse than Do Nothing Dan, they don't even believe in climate change.

The last research is two years ago and the knowledge base is constantly changing/evolving and some of the NOAA scientists also work on the IPCC report assessments. Do you think they are climate change deniers or something? Our knowledge of how the climate works is far from complete, 10 years ago they didn't know it was possible for the wind patterns around the Antarctic to change, it did and resulted in record levels of sea ice occurring, before changing back. Will the ENSO cycle change with climate change, they don't believe so, to the best of their current understanding. They expect them to get more intense with the temperature increase but science is really the expanding of knowledge over time.

Yes, and in NSW, QLD and VIC in particular they do not allow indigenous communities to manage the land like they used to, where the fires were worst was on government land where they had stopped burn-off because putting CO2 into the atmosphere is bad... well, how bad is putting half our forests and a billion animals into the atmosphere? I am guessing even worse.

Fine, don't burn that s**t off, you can gather that s**t up and mulch it, it is going to magnitudes more expensive to deal with it that way but they chose to do nothing instead so we got the colossal *up that we got. We will not have the same problems for some time afterwards because all that fuel is gone.

Who took responsibility? Nobody, they just blamed climate change when it was the change of policy that exacerbated the problem. If we don't manage the land properly than it is going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Best theory is around 200,000 years ago. Mankind has not known a world that hasn't had ice on it.

It is why why I said we have never known what "normal" is, we are not just trying to stop our contribution to climate change, we have to overcome natural change as well if we don't want water levels to rise.

But there is all sorts of s**t going on we have no control over, the earth's core is cooling much more rapidly than anticipated and the Earth's crust is getting a lot thinner for reasons we do not understand, we have become way overdue for major fault line earthquakes and major volcanic eruptions. There are a lot of wild theories about what is going on and what is coming but we really have nfi what is going on or why, it is all beyond our control or ability to impact regardless.

But yeah, assuming nothing else adds to the woes, I imagine it wouldn't be very nice to live on Earth with no glaciers. On the plus side, plants will love it.

Absolutely.

Definitely.

Not sure I articulated myself well there. I mean before humans were around there were very long periods where we had no glaciers, so it is not a natural state for the planet to have glaciers, they are a result of an event that triggered a global ice age and we are nearing the end point of it. Given our planet's proximity to the sun and the makeup of our atmosphere, it isn't able to retain ice indefinitely. It has been melting away since the event occurred and had we never appeared it would have done it regardless.

Getting wiped out isn't dealing with it. It is like Brisbane getting flooded every few years isn't dealing with it either. We know what volumes of water our water systems can handle receiving, we can significantly increase the capacity.

Our grand plan by the Victorian Government is to almost double the state's population by the 2050s, we are going to need substantially more water than we have at present to accommodate those kind of numbers. When the opportunity arises during drier periods, we need to execute plans to expand the capacity of water storage and the ability of our waterways to push what are expected to be distant future amounts of flood water. We don't want to turn our towns into lakes and we don't want to wash off our topsoil either.

If we do nothing we are constantly be going to deal with things as victims.

yes

I lived there for my first ~20 years

Vinnies then Bernards
I moved to melbourne and did high school there. I remember you said something about * players training at your old school, saw the video and it was the oval below Buckley St. There are at least three other people who are members here who went to school there. Small world town.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back