NCAA Heisman Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Colt Brennan i find interesting........ surely if he was ever going to be nominated it would have been last year.

Wheres Pat White??

Brennan, as a junior, finished 6th in the Heisman last year, the difference this year is that Hawaii went through undefeated.

the heisman was over when mizzouri and WVU both lost. Tebow has it IMO

It's both exiting and sad that the Heisman favourite is a sophomore, what about all the 3rd and 4th year players, are they really unworthy????

just in case you've been asleep all NCAAF season.....

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-heismanbox1206.artdec07,0,3751944.story

Give Tebow The Edge In Heisman Race

The four Heisman Trophy finalists — quarterbacks Colt Brennan of Hawaii, Chase Daniel of Missouri and Tim Tebow of Florida, and Arkansas running back Darren McFadden — will be in New York for the presentation Saturday night.

The Heisman race, like the chase for the BCS championship game, was filled with twists and turns.

Tebow put up big numbers — especially with his legs. He'd be the first sophomore to win in the 72-year history of the award. McFadden, a junior and the top returning vote-getter from last year's Heisman race, was a bit inconsistent, but he made his case with some big numbers in big games.

Brennan, a 6-foot-3 senior, holds 20 NCAA records, and this year he led the non-BCS Warriors to the only unbeaten season in Division I (12-0) and into the Sugar Bowl against Georgia. He threw for more than 4,000 yards and 38 touchdowns and was the WAC player of the year. But that's the problem. He plays in a weak conference.

Daniel, a 6-0 junior recently named Big 12 offensive player of the year, led the Tigers (11-2) to their first Big 12 North title. Daniel, a terrific scrambler, threw 33 TD passes and just 10 interceptions. He also completed just under 70 percent of his passes for 4,170 yards. But he needed one more big game. To not throw a TD pass against the Sooners in the Big 12 championship game when all the lights were on was too damaging.

Brennan and Daniel deserve to be in New York, but neither deserves to win.

So it comes down to McFadden vs. Tebow.

McFadden Accomplishments: He was runner-up to Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith last season when he rushed for 1,647 yards in 14 games. This year he has rushed for 1,725 yards in 12 games. McFadden holds the SEC record for all-purpose yards (2,172) and should end his college career passing Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson as the top single-season rusher in SEC history.

Case for: After he was all but dropped from the race, McFadden rushed back in with a prolific performance in one game and a memorable performance in another. Folks are still talking about his SEC-record 321 yards rushing against South Carolina, then he came back to help dethrone then-No. 1 LSU in triple overtime with a 206-yard rushing effort, three touchdowns and another TD passing against one of the nation's top defenses. He threw four TD passes and had 21 receptions this season.

Case against: The Razorbacks are 8-4, so some will argue he didn't do enough to lift his team, and his inconsistency will hurt. Before he blistered South Carolina Nov. 3, McFadden had not yet reached 1,000 yards. Others will argue, too, that having fellow 1,000-yard rusher Felix Jones in the backfield, hurt McFadden's chances.

Tebow Accomplishments: Tebow became the first player in college football to run for 20 touchdowns (22) and pass for 20 (29) in a season. That total — 51 — is extraordinary. He ended the regular season No. 2 in passing efficiency (177.9), threw for more than 3,000 yards and rushed for more than 800. He scored seven TDs in one game — five rushing and two passing against South Carolina.

Case for: With talking heads enamored with his numbers, he's the favorite. More than that, Tebow proved he could be a leader on one of the most athletically gifted teams and put up big numbers game after game.

Case against: His team is 9-3, and was 6-3 at one point. So, as in McFadden's case, he didn't carry the team enough when needed. He would be the first sophomore to win. Not that he shouldn't for that reason, but some could use that against him. And most of his 22 rushing TDs were from close in.

BTW - I'm a Brennan fan, always have been, always will be.... GO COLT!

Since I've only really watched LSU games this year my opinion is based on performances against them.

McFadden was outstanding against LSU.

Tebow was so-so.

In fact, Tebow was poor when the game was there to won and probably cost them the game. McFadden was the opposite, he was brilliant and singlehandly won the game for Arkansas (although everyone they put in the backfield ran on LSU in that game).

Tebow and McFadden will wrangle for it and I reckon Tebow will take it out. His numbers are staggering and, by and large, he's just been more consistently good than McFadden (though his 300 yards plus game vs South Carolina was pretty incredible).

Tough choice but I would think Tebow will take it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back