All Australian
Oct 4, 2005
Alton Towers
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Dead Parrots
Hi all.

Just picked up a Wii for the little one and me today (Kmart have a great deal going $388 for the Wii with 5 games including Wii Sports).

Anyway I plugged it in and wii sports and fifa 08 worked fine. With the other 3games I got the same error message #001: unauthorised device detected.

Does anyone know what this and can anyone offer any advice. My Wii is obviously not chipped and the games are brand new.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

I looked it up and it sounds like they (Nintendo) have detected a mod chip in your wii?

If true look up guides on how to fix it.

If not, just take it back and hopefully they will give you a new one.

• Banned
Thanks for your responses guys. I have googled this up and the impression I get is that this error message only comes up if the Wii is chipped/modified.

Considering this is a brand new Wii, it's very bizarre. The only thing I can think of is that somebody bought a Wii, got it chipped, for some reason returned it to Kmart who put it back in a box and re-sold it to me :eek:

I have found a W99 helpline which Im gonna call hopefully they can sort it out... Cant be stuffed packing it all up again and taking it back to Kmart :)

hah!!!! maybe Kmart is being abit dodgy :3

ie: Someone returned a chipped console that was malfunctioning and they sold the refurbished model as a new one >,>

IIRC its the nintendo first party games that have the copy protection.....

I would take it back to Kmart and threathen a lawsuit....

take it back as soon as possible..... the longer you wait..... the better the chance that Kmart will just blame you for the modification rather than take responsibility. (if it is modded)

if they did sell you a refurbished model as a new one you could probably get them to at least give you a discount to shut you up

if it was a hardware malfunction..... I wouldn't keep using it :/

I'm not really up to date with homebrew/piracy....but I don't think a modchip is much use on the Wii anymore..... at least until Nintendo kills the softmod option.

hah!!!! maybe Kmart is being abit dodgy :3

ie: Someone returned a chipped console that was malfunctioning and they sold the refurbished model as a new one >,>

IIRC its the nintendo first party games that have the copy protection.....

I would take it back to Kmart and threathen a lawsuit....

take it back as soon as possible..... the longer you wait..... the better the chance that Kmart will just blame you for the modification rather than take responsibility. (if it is modded)

if they did sell you a refurbished model as a new one you could probably get them to at least give you a discount to shut you up

if it was a hardware malfunction..... I wouldn't keep using it :/

I'm not really up to date with homebrew/piracy....but I don't think a modchip is much use on the Wii anymore..... at least until Nintendo kills the softmod option.

This is what I find so strange. You can access tutorials which explain how to quickly and easily enable homebrew without having to open the wii up at all. I don't know why someone would go for the hardware modding option, and then return it to K-mart. Seems a bit silly. Maybe something has malfunctioned in the console and it is giving the error message by accident.

I would say that someone has bought a new wii and returned their old system back for a refund, usually error 001 is a wii chipped with a wii key using old firmware I personally would take it back and say it's faulty, alternatively to resolve the issue you can download the up to date wiikey firmware and it will work also be mindful though that wii systems that use the wii key are at least 2+ years old now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back