Running/Fitness Help with Training/Diet!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2006
Dreamland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Altona Vikings
Had the last 12 months off footy and I've just finish my 3rd week of Pre-Preseason training.

I'm training the following;

Monday - 6km interval running & Chest + Shoulders
Tuesday - 6km interval running & Abs
Wednesday - 6km interval running & Biceps + Triceps
Thursday - 6km interval running & Abs
Friday - 6km interval running & Back

My diet is;

Breakfast - 3 Weet-bix with hot water & 1/2 cup of trim milk
Morning Tea - Apple & Banana
Lunch - Whole chicken breast, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red onion & avocado salad
Afternoon - Protein shake or 2/3 Boiled eggs (1 yoke)
Dinner - Rump steak/chicken breast/turkey breast/Kangaroo with 3 veg (Snow peas/green beans/carrot/mushrooms/spinach/Broccoli)

Not having soft drink/lollies/chocolate - Processed sugars.
Low carbs (not eating bread/potato/rice).
Low Fat (less dairy & lean meats).

My brother helped me with the eating stuff, he's a gym junkie. I'm 99kg & 186cm, I have dropped 9kg in the 3 weeks.

Just want to know if what I'm doing is right or what other chances I can make.

PS: I know it's a lot of running, but I don't have injury issues and am comfortable running that much.

footy has a time limit in regards to getting to the ball first in a short time, not a long time like a 6km run thus the requirement for speed

the quickest way to get faster? get stronger

i'd cut the 6km to 2/week max (1 would be better) and do some actual sprint work on 2 other days

and get rid of the arm day - deads, squats, lunges, rows, presses and core is about all you need at this stage

food seems ok

BTL, what is your muscle/fat composition % if you know it?

Secondly, do you have a target weight?

Currently, you are training 5 days a week and no training on the weekend. Is there a specific reason for this? Not suggesting you need to train more, merely trying to establish any limitations.

You will start to experience over training syndrome if you go 5 days straight. You may be feeling great now, but it may catch up with you.

Go fishing normally and Work.
Target weight is 90kg.
I am trying to build up the km in the legs really.
I'm already quick for a big bloke.

Had the last 12 months off footy and I've just finish my 3rd week of Pre-Preseason training.

I'm training the following;

Monday - 6km interval running & Chest + Shoulders
Tuesday - 6km interval running & Abs
Wednesday - 6km interval running & Biceps + Triceps
Thursday - 6km interval running & Abs
Friday - 6km interval running & Back

My diet is;

Breakfast - 3 Weet-bix with hot water & 1/2 cup of trim milk
Morning Tea - Apple & Banana
Lunch - Whole chicken breast, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red onion & avocado salad
Afternoon - Protein shake or 2/3 Boiled eggs (1 yoke)
Dinner - Rump steak/chicken breast/turkey breast/Kangaroo with 3 veg (Snow peas/green beans/carrot/mushrooms/spinach/Broccoli)

Not having soft drink/lollies/chocolate - Processed sugars.
Low carbs (not eating bread/potato/rice).
Low Fat (less dairy & lean meats).

My brother helped me with the eating stuff, he's a gym junkie. I'm 99kg & 186cm, I have dropped 9kg in the 3 weeks.

Just want to know if what I'm doing is right or what other chances I can make.

PS: I know it's a lot of running, but I don't have injury issues and am comfortable running that much.

A couple of suggestions.

Group your chest with triceps and back with biceps if you are keen on performing these isolated movements. They integrate better with one another and eliminates 2 massive muscle groups on one day (chest and back)

Rest on Wednesdays and you should definitely be doing squats and lunges the following day after rest. I'd go light weights with reps upward of 12 to 15 with 4 sets each

I'd incorporate some sprints on this day. 8 sets of 100 meters. 6km intervals daily is way too much. If you want the km's go 8 to 10 instead.

Fridays - shoulders but include posterior, anterior and lateral movements. Throw in some trap work.
Continue with abs and lower back.

One other modification, do the resistance training first before your cardio. Ultimately, you have 9 more kilos to lose. They more intense you finish your workout, the greater the after burn. Your metabolic rate stays higher for a prolonged period. This will assist with weight loss. Secondly, your energy output for the weight training component of your session will also be higher, which equates to higher reps.

Diet is good. I'd add some cottage cheese at night for extra protein. Low in fat, high in casein protein.

A great explanation of EPOC (afterburn)

Good luck!!!! Hope this helps a little...

How do these *s become the people in charge of promoting their respective gyms or personal training?
They aren't. Some biz pays an SEO provider without caring or knowing what their provider is up to. SEO guy outsources backlinking to india/philipines at < $2ph. Forums get spammed with backlinked d grade content in busted english.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back