Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Statistics (win/loss ratio) with H.Slattery in team:

2010:

2 wins 11 losses 15.38%

2011:

2 wins 4 losses 33.33%

So in the past two years with H.Slattery in the team we've won 4 matches out of a total of 19.

H.Slattery seems to be a barometer - when he's in they're likely to lose.

playing Slattery is worst then playing 1 short, it like playing 1 short for us, but a extra for the opposition. He gets all flustered when the gets the ball and has no idea what to do with it, except turn it over.

I don't subscribe to the theory that 1 player can pull down 21 others and lose a game.

Mark Bolton? If the greatness that was Hird wasnt there to tip the scales, who knows what may have been.

Seriously though, you cant blame one player for a loss and you bet your bottom dollar the rest of the team wasnt to flash around that time.

Its like saying gary ablett is the reason geelong had that great winning percentage, when in fact most of the team is pretty good.

I am a big fan of Slattery and will usually defend him but he was terrible against Fremantle. The amount of space he allowed Ballantyne to have was inexcusable.

I can’t comment on the month of footy before that because I haven’t had a chance to see the games (and I probably won’t watch them because they were all losses) but you’d hope Fremantle was a one off and he can shut down either Boomer or Thomas on Saturday.

You can maipulate stats to get any result you want so I don't pay much attention to them.

Get over your hate. He will be picked every week while he is fit. Deal with it. If your not happy ring hirdy, bomber, goody, wellman I'm sure they will listen and take your advice. I'm sure of it. In fact how can they ignore such a stat. It's so damning. :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. We've looked a different side with him in.

Yes he can at times lock down small forwards. He's not the best at it, but he can. On the flip side, he's a destructuring influence:

Can't hurt going the other way,
Is a very dumb footballer.
uncoordinated footballer gives away free kicks because of his uncoordiation.
Shocking decision making (confusing for team mates)
Slow
Poor kick
poor to average mark
2 - 3 touch player.

There's a minority of Bomber fans that love him. The rest of us and the vast majority of the footy world see him for what he is.... A very ordinary footballer.

Essendon in 2010 - 2011.

Won 12 from 33. 12/33 = 36.36%

I'm sure that's Slattery's fault. :rolleyes:

4 from 15= 26.67 percent.
8 from 18= 44.44 percent.

Stats dont lie.

I don't love Slattery, I think he's a solid footballer that does the job the coaching staff want of him, which is a lock-down defender or tagger. People love to see attacking football, looks great, but behind the flashy stuff are the players who have a certain role and that is to negate players. I don't know why people think Slattery should have scoring involvements when his job is lockdown, not rebound.

As for the correlation between Slattery and us winning/losing... what a load of s**t. If you're saying we lost because Slattery is playing... I hope you seek help. What a ****ing cop out, there a 22 players that run out there every week not 1. Take the Fremantle game, Slattery didn't have the best game but why pick on him, what about 90% of the team just not giving a ****, running hard etc.

s**t thread.

Slatts had a very bad day out v Freo, no getting away from that.
If they want someone to zone off & defend that way, he's completely unsuited.
He's otherwise been OK so far, pretty good in a couple.

I don't think H.Slattery is in our best 22 - when guys such as Hank, Lovett-Murray etc are getting games its indicative we haven't got our strongest lineup out there.

I don't have an issue with H.Slattery as a player in terms of effort - i know what to expect. He'll give 100%, struggle to contain his opponent and not provide any attack.

The issue is with the selectors picking him regularly when there are better alternatives.

Yeah yeah, all the better alternatives like Welsh... hang on... Atkinson... oh... Houli... wait... erm...

Slatts has gone from clearly #1 small, in a (realistic) field of about 2, to probably #3 in a realistic field of about 6-7. That's a good thing for the list, and I'm pretty sure guys like Hibberd (and further down the line) Browne will get more opportunities, when they are somewhere near ready.

s**t thread, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back