Toast Heritier Lumumba pens heartfelt letter to ex-teammates, wants club to own up to mistreatment

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious accusations, yes. If he's got substance to provide, he should do so. Otherwise it's just talk, and talk is cheap.
Others have backed him up.
Or have we forgotten that?
H thinks any enquiry will be a sham. And reading supporter comments I tend to agree. No wonder he doesn’t want to be Part of it.

H thinks any enquiry will be a sham. And reading supporter comments I tend to agree. No wonder he doesn’t want to be Part of it.

I'm interested in the silence if the 99% of the people who were there when he played. There is way more to this story than lumumba being called a name (and I call BS on anyone in Australia using the N word. Thats just crap). Are they protecting themselves, the club or Lumumba.

Heritier is the starting point of the inquiry, but I think it's important to keep in mind that it is a review of the environment between 2005 and 2013.

That is, the club is obviously interested in the claims made by H and will investigate them, but there is a broader concern to look at the culture of the club during those years and to establish what can be done better.

Heritier will think it's a waste of time, not least because he's only a starting point and not necessarily the star of the show, but I personally think that it's a worthwhile way to address any relevant issues.

If the accuser won't participate, you can't have a full investigation. If you can't have a full investigation, you can't get to the bottom of what happened. And if you can't do that you can't improve. So it's up to Heritier... if he genuinely wants improvement or any form of redress he needs to play his part.

I used to be a supporter of his cause, but I have grown increasingly weary of late. Maybe it’s because there’s so much going on in the world right now.
He needs to let go in my humble opinion.

I want a frank and honest investigation.
The truth will set us free. But right now we don’t have any truth and conflicting stories.
The club needs an investigation. For itself, for the players of colour, past, present and future.
And for the fabs.
I want to walk proud being a Collingwood supporter, but these colour issues have dogged our club for decades.
Time to resolve it and move forward.

St Kilda respond with an apology within hours of the Robbie Muir story being released.

Why couldn't Collingwood do this with Lumumba?
How do we know that they haven't tried and he is wanting a bigger platform?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do we know that they haven't tried and he is wanting a bigger platform?
We know that Collingwood havent tried because there isnt an official apology on the club website.

That's the main thing that Heritier wanted, a public apology.

Mind you there also wasnt a public apology or statement from the club after Eddie racially vilified Goodes either.

Unfortunately we’ve spent 125 years sweeping these issues under the carpet with those type of excuses.

They cant properly investigate claims without a claimants participation.

It still has to happen but it will be seen to be a kangaroo court without the willingness of H to be part of the process. Which is exactly what he wants of course.......he can can continue his tirade indefinitely. Heretier doesnt want closure on this.. quite the opposite...he wants to continue to draw attention to himself.

We know that Collingwood havent tried because there isnt an official apology on the club website.

Mind you there also wasnt a public apology or statement from the club after Eddie racially vilified Goodes either.
So we don't know, right?

imo I think that tells you there is more to this story that what Lumumba is saying.

Some people dont seem to understand that this matter has gone beyond Lumumba's grievance. He could disappear tomorrow and there will still be probably hundreds of thousands of people who will think that indigenous players get abused at the Pies. The same is true for Robbie Muir and the Saints. It goes beyond the individual indigenous player. It doesnt matter what you think of Lumumba, the allegations are believed by a large percentage of people. It is not just a grievance.

Some people dont seem to understand that this matter has gone beyond Lumumba's grievance. He could disappear tomorrow and there will still be probably hundreds of thousands of people who will think that indigenous players get abused at the Pies. The same is true for Robbie Muir and the Saints. It goes beyond the individual indigenous player. It doesnt matter what you think of Lumumba, the allegations are believed by a large percentage of people. It is not just a grievance.

Not sure exactly what you’re trying to say here.

Lubumbas unsubstantiated claims will be believed by people who choose to believe them?

Did I say anything remotely like that? Posters here are saying that Lumumba's grievance should be ignored, as if it will go away.

I guess you missed the bit where I said I had no clue what you were trying to say.

Thanks for clarifying. There is a process in place and his specific grievance about his specific experiences isn’t being ignored. But it will quickly be ignored if he chooses not to participate in that process and elaborate on his allegations.

I guess you missed the bit where I said I had no clue what you were trying to say.

Thanks for clarifying. There is a process in place and his specific grievance about his specific experiences isn’t being ignored. But it will quickly be ignored if he chooses not to participate in that process and elaborate on his allegations.

What I am saying is that it wont be ignored, even if Lumumba doesnt participate.

Let me give you an illustration.

An employee submits a grievance along the lines that he is allergic to green tea in the lunchroom. The manager listens and asks for more info. The employee refuses and just asks for it to be removed. The manager ignores him. The rest of the workplace is puzzled but understands that the manager cant do much about it unless the employee adds further info.

An employee submits a grievance along the lines that there is arsenic in the lunchroom tea. The manager listens and asks for more info. The employee refuses and just asks for it to be removed. The manager ignores him. The rest of the workplace wants to know what the manager is going to do, irrespective of what the employee does.

For clarity, the second situation relates to the lumumba grievance.

I think it’s been very interesting and clever for H to take the stance he has. I think he wants this to play out in public and does not want to be part of an investigation conducted away from the public. H has asked some simple binary questions of the club on Twitter as has not received an answer. They are questions that merit a yes or a no response. The club should respond yes or no and they can add shades of grey afterwards. Unvarnished truth and real growth will come from public acknowledgement one way or the other. The club can perform all the internal independent Investigations they like. In the end they need to answer H’s questions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back