Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers

CliffMcTainshaw

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
The link was what I got from my search. If not mistaken it is the first ever Test match. Well that is historical too. The match the Centenary Test was commemorating. The one that had the same 45 run win to the Aussies. Sorry for the mislead.
If you are interested in a description of the first Test in 1877 and the 1882 Ashes game or Cricket History in general, then there is a terrific Podcast Series called oddly enough "History of Cricket". It covers all Test Nations and starts from 1877 and is up to 1956-57 at the moment. A great series well worth a listen.
You can download episodes from here or search for it in Itunes.
https://historyofcricket.podbean.com

Footnote: Spofforth took 14/90 in the 1882 game.

Edit: It looks like the Itunes version only goes back to 1902. For episodes before that you will have to use the Podbean site and click on Older episodes at the bottom of each to get back to 1877.

Last edited:

BaggyGreens

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
If you are interested in a description of the first Test in 1877 and the 1882 Ashes game or Cricket History in general, then there is a terrific Podcast Series called oddly enough "History of Cricket". It covers all Test Nations and starts from 1877 and is up to 1956-57 at the moment. A great series well worth a listen.
You can download episodes from here or search for it in Itunes.
https://historyofcricket.podbean.com

Footnote: Spofforth took 14/90 in the 1882 game.

Edit: It looks like the Itunes version only goes back to 1902. For episodes before that you will have to use the Podbean site and click on Older episodes at the bottom of each to get back to 1877.
Brilliant. :clapping:

Great to get an insite into Tests played before I was born.

Last edited:

DEVO

Premium Platinum
Sep 8, 2000
Canberra, ACT, Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Parramatta Eels
The Bannerman record of highest percentage of runs in a complete innings has become the holy grail where records are concerned.
Bannerman's 165n.o. is still the highest score by an Australian on debut as well. England, New Zealand, India, West Indies, Sri Lanka, South Africa and Pakistan all have at least one debutant beat that mark, but for some reason we can't. 5 players have got within 15 runs of the score, Archie Jackson (164), Kepler Wessels (162), Wayne Phillips (159), Doug Walters (155) and Micheal Clarke (151), but got themselves out.

Sammo360

All Australian
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
The Bannerman record of highest percentage of runs in a complete innings has become the holy grail where records are concerned.
Was nearly broken in that Afghan Test earlier this year. I wonder how that would've went down with those cricket purists?

Remove this Banner Ad