FTA-TV Hoges

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone else watch Crocodile Dundee the instant this finished?

Just saw the G banger scene, followed by my favourite line of the film.

Sue: That croc was going to eat me alive.
Mick: I wouldn't hold that against him. Same thought crossed my mind a few times.

*beep* "Out of the way dopey"

My favourite scene.

I really liked it, cos unlike some of you I grew up watching Hoges. The guy who played Hoges really hit the right tones and essence of the man, so I thought he did a superb job. The guy playing John Cornell was a bit meh, and Noelene was well done. I really enjoyed the humor of the movie, as I have known the same kind of laconic Aussie blokes that is Hoges all my life. I thought it was great nostalgia. After the mess that was Brock, I really feared for this mini series. But it delivered.

Sure it did have some goofy moments like the Dustin Hoffman bit, and the various crappy wigs. But this is pretty typical of Aussie mini series.

Last edited:
I really liked it, cos unlike some of you I grew up watching Hoges. The guy who played Hoges really hit the right tones and essence of the man, so I thought he did a superb job. The guy playing John Cornell was a bit meh, and Noelene was well done. I really enjoyed the humor of the movie, as I have known the same kind of laconic Aussie blokes that is Hoges all my life. I didn't find it cheesy, but great nostalgia. After the mess that was Brock, I really feared for this mini series. But it delivered.

So he divorces Noelene,then re-marry her and then divorces Noelene again so he can be with Linda?

So he divorces Noelene,then re-marry her and then divorces Noelene again so he can be with Linda?
Yep, I remember there was a great scandal in Australia when it happened, and Noelene suddenly became a TV personality in her own right appearing on the midday show and current affairs shows often. She really cashed in on the poor abandoned housewife thing, if truth be told. This was the start of when the Aussie media turned on Hoges, just as they did with other Aussie Stars when they became too big in their eyes. Hoges did what he did, but he's not the first man ever to leave his wife for a younger woman is he His kids were all grown up, and he still supported all his family.

Yep, I remember there was a great scandal in Australia when it happened, and Noelene suddenly became a TV personality in her own right appearing on the midday show and current affairs shows often. She really cashed in on the poor abandoned housewife thing, if truth be told. This was the start of when the Aussie media turned on Hoges, just as they did with other Aussie Stars when they became too big in their eyes. Hoges did what he did, but he's not the first man ever to leave his wife for a younger woman is he His kids were all grown up, and he still supported all his family.

Interestingly just in the last week they've actually reunited in a fashion, taking care of one of their sons who's had a stroke.

I thought the bloke did a great job taking off his mannerisms and voice, but geez I found it hard to get past his borderline piss-take appearance.

*beep* "Out of the way dopey"

My favourite scene.

Hahahahahaha

I love the little throwaway lines that are just conpletely Australian:

- Get into it (in the above cocaine scene)
- Yeah I'll 'ave a lash (in the restaurant just before he thumps old mate)
- Just knockin the froth off a couple

And my favourite of all:

I thought the bloke did a great job taking off his mannerisms and voice, but geez I found it hard to get past his borderline piss-take appearance.

Yeah, he didn't look a lot like Hoges, I agree, but I thought he did portray the essence of the man pretty well, and that made his appearance more bearable to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting.

Wasn't born when The Paul Hogan Show started and I was too young to watch it in the 80's so me watching a mini series about his life and how he became famous is great.

Hahahahahaha

I love the little throwaway lines that are just conpletely Australian:

- Get into it (in the above cocaine scene)
- Yeah I'll 'ave a lash (in the restaurant just before he thumps old mate)
- Just knockin the froth off a couple

And my favourite of all:

Haha lols.

Gotta handed it to Hogan he made Americans realise how great us Aussies are with this film.

Interesting.

Wasn't born when The Paul Hogan Show started and I was too young to watch it in the 80's so me watching a mini series about his life and how he became famous is great.
If you want to learn more about Hoges watch this doco on ABC iview.

Have watched about 10 minutes, the overuse of music makes it seem like it's one long montage.

And the fact that it's pretty much one long montage.

It's been a lot better than I expected after seeing the promos.

Apart from the bad wig Josh Lawson was pretty good as Hoges, the other main actors/actresses did a decent job too.

They really nailed the whole 70s/early 80s vibe with the set designs and outfits too.

Did anyone else watch Crocodile Dundee the instant this finished?

Just saw the G banger scene, followed by my favourite line of the film.

Sue: That croc was going to eat me alive.
Mick: I wouldn't hold that against him. Same thought crossed my mind a few times.

I never found Crocodile Dundee all that funny, Hoges was a lot funnier on his tv show but most people probably only know him from his films.

Lollllllll how f***ing funny is everything about that scene - the delivery, the line itself, his eagerness to have a word with Mick only to essentially tell him to f*** off -it is cinematic perfection

Watched it back earlier today , the thing i never noticed was John Mellion start to " corpse " ( break character and laugh ) as the lines delivered.

Mick clocking the bloke while he's dancing :D:D

His first time on the street in NY " Yeeeeeeeezuz chriiiiiist "

Hoges was massive in the 70's and I grew up watching him. It's a crime it's so hard to find his unedited shows anymore because they were funny as *. Mind you some of his comedy might not have aged so well because a lot of it was pretty sexist by today's standards

I wasn't sure if I'd like this show because the ads didn't instil much confidence but despite some cheesy acting and some god awful wigs I really enjoyed it

It was a bit disappointing not to see some more of his iconic skits from the show like strops hangover cure but I guess there was a fair bit to get through I suppose

Not sure part 2 will be as good as it might get a bit more soap opera-ish with his marital stuff and as Hoges got older/more successful he lost some of that knockabout charm that was the cornerstone of his success

Oh and Delvene Delaney was an absolute stunner back in the day and the actress in her role doesn't do her true justice

Hoges was massive in the 70's and I grew up watching him. It's a crime it's so hard to find his unedited shows anymore because they were funny as ****. Mind you some of his comedy might not have aged so well because a lot of it was pretty sexist by today's standards

I've always wished they would repeat his tv shows but I think Hoges and John Cornell hold the rights to them and won't allow them to be shown again.

There was a Hoges special a while ago which packaged up some of the highlights from his tv shows but it still left out some of his best stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back