NO TROLLS Homophobia in the AFL - 4 Corners

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't that a perfectly valid reason why AFL players choose to keep their private lives private, away from media and away from public scrutiny?
What about at the Brownlow, where they film them walking the red carpet? Or the photos clubs put out of Players and their partners at club best and fairests?

What about when the players have their family on the field for milestones or in a the room after games? What about when they find them in the crowd after Grand final wins?

What about their Instagrams, or Tik Toks?

There are alot of moments when players are incredibly Public about their partners.
From all reports, their teammates and work colleagues know who their gay teammates are. It's no secret within the club walls. They are living their authentic true selves like gay people in other (low profile) workplaces.
Does that make it better or worse? Finlayson and Powell both would have played with Gay players, out within the walls or not. And they still chose to say what they did.

It will sure as hell will keep you disciplined, fit and be with best mates. In particular if you progress through the ranks then you must be at peak mental and physical fitness.
Look up "Muscular Christianity".

LOL the ADF struggle to deal with keeping hold a lot of recruits within a few days to weeks of them starting at Kapooka due to various mental health and other personal reasons.

We have a very patriarchal culture in footy, young blokes look to the elders. Contrary to some popular opinion it can be a really positive culture, if you have sensible older blokes showing you how to be a bloke its great for the young ones and the old ones. I had that as a boy and I try to pass it on. My boy and step kids are smart enough to work out who is an idiot so I don't censor who they hear much, I just discuss it with them.

If you get a dumb fatherless boy he might latch on to some yammering bigot for want of a role model, it looks like Tarryn Thomas has fallen into that hole.

Old farts like Clarko impress their players with their attitudes, but most young blokes I know DGAF is someone is gay or straight or bi, and they even know about demisexuals polypans etc.

The bigots are losing right now but its a slow process. So long as you kick gay haters in the heads financially they will shut up and you'll find the old bigots die off without infecting the younger ones.

With nearly 800 players on AFL lists and the percentage of gay men in Australia is 3%, you are looking at 24 or thereabouts of gay footballers playing this coming week. Personally i don't care about gay men in the team i follow as long as they get a kick! But it is 2024 and the whole world has gone mad about a lot of things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Lets be honest, Gay men and Gay women face different levels of acceptance in our society. I have an idea as to a few reasons why but that is not core to the conversation.

I can really not foresee a point that any Male AFL player comes out as gay due to the Media attention and also the wider football public. There are w***ers who flood AFL players social media with messages like "You should of kicked that goal, you cost me my multi you [INSERT ABUSIVE INSULT], go kill yourself". I would shudder to think what would be levied at a gay AFL player.

Lets be honest, Gay men and Gay women face different levels of acceptance in our society. I have an idea as to a few reasons why but that is not core to the conversation.

I can really not foresee a point that any Male AFL player comes out as gay due to the Media attention and also the wider football public. There are w***ers who flood AFL players social media with messages like "You should of kicked that goal, you cost me my multi you [INSERT ABUSIVE INSULT], go kill yourself". I would shudder to think what would be levied at a gay AFL player.
I think the first out gay player will come out of the draft because he probably came out in his teens and sees no point in going back into the closet just to kick a footy.

No homophobia training for Clarko.

You’ve got to give it to him, he has the AFL bluffed for his 10000000 discretions.
AFL once again proving it's a reflection of broader society with one rule for some and different rules for others. Inconsistency is the key it seems.

Agree, they talk about Ian Roberts coming out as gay in the NRL back in the 90s but has anyone else come out since then in the NRL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back