How big is your portfolio?

Remove this Banner Ad

And by that I don't mean $$$'s, I mean number of stocks!

How many is too many?

I kind of treat it like gambling in a way, and currently have 161 stocks. Too many? Need more? Do I hold the bigfooty record? ;)

That's a tonne of brokerage.

I think I've got about 11?

You're either loaded or you have tiny holdings - but if you have tiny holdings, then you're paying a tonne of brokerage as a percentage on this stocks.

Really curious about this strategy. I'm pretty new to this, perhaps I'm missing something.

• Banned
That's a tonne of brokerage.

I think I've got about 11?

You're either loaded or you have tiny holdings - but if you have tiny holdings, then you're paying a tonne of brokerage as a percentage on this stocks.

Really curious about this strategy. I'm pretty new to this, perhaps I'm missing something.

They are not big holdings unfortunately so yeah the brokerage has been a pain. CMC have the lowest rates though at 9.90 each direction

They are not big holdings unfortunately so yeah the brokerage has been a pain. CMC have the lowest rates though at 9.90 each direction

Average holding size?

I mean, if we're talking $100, you need to make an 11% increase to make $1 profit.

In my limited experience, it's pretty hard to make an 11% increase.

My average holding is > $4K

But if I remember a previous thread correctly, your strategy would be hugely different to mine.

I've sold 0 shares so far. All buying. No intention to sell in the foreseeable future.

• Banned
Average holding size?

I mean, if we're talking $100, you need to make an 11% increase to make $1 profit.

In my limited experience, it's pretty hard to make an 11% increase.

My average holding is > $4K

But if I remember a previous thread correctly, your strategy would be hugely different to mine.

I've sold 0 shares so far. All buying. No intention to sell in the foreseeable future.

The minimum you can spend on any stock is $500 (at least that's what they tell me at CMC) so at a maximum with $9.90 in and out it's 4%, but I've got a bit more on than that. Average about $1k per stock.

LOL @ having 161 individual stocks and probably trading in and out of them aswell? For christs sake, what is your brokerage cost as a percentage of your portfolio? BRB buying VTS, ~3000+ stocks for the price of one.

LOL @ having 161 individual stocks and probably trading in and out of them aswell? For christs sake, what is your brokerage cost as a percentage of your portfolio? BRB buying VTS, ~3000+ stocks for the price of one.

I outlined my brokerage costs in the preceding posts. No need to repeat myself.

I've traded in and out of some, yes. I'm like a ninja. A trading ninja.

You're buying an index tracker? Yeah the index is going well at the moment...

He doesn't value technical analysis at all. In that way he is full of s**t. He's a one trick pony.

How do you have the time to monitor technical analysis on 161 stocks?

Even day trader mates of mine who do this stuff full time would only be monitoring max 15-20 stocks at any one time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I outlined my brokerage costs in the preceding posts. No need to repeat myself.

I've traded in and out of some, yes. I'm like a ninja. A trading ninja.

You're buying an index tracker? Yeah the index is going well at the moment...

How well is the spending ~2k on brokerage going at the moment haha. Averaging 1k per position. Oh lordie.

How well is the spending ~2k on brokerage going at the moment haha. Averaging 1k per position. Oh lordie.

In the three and a half months I've been trading I'm up about 6% after brokerage, while in that same time the index (which you trade) has ultimately ended up level.

Oh lordie indeed.

In the three and a half months I've been trading I'm up about 6% after brokerage, while in that same time the index (which you trade) has ultimately ended up level.

Oh lordie indeed.

Jeeze, three and a half months! You've been at it a long time.

On this, let me ask you a question. Turn the tables, as it were.

Let's assume that over a 12 month period the ASX200 or all ords or whatever index you want to trade is going to go up (let's be generous) 5%. So, all those companies are going to average out at 5% over that period. Let's say it's the asx200, so those 200 are going to average 5%.

Are you (and all other index trackers) so inept that you cannot look at those 200 either fundamentally or technically and work out some that will go better than others? Seriously?

I mean this question honestly and openly because it strikes me that the index tracker is essentially saying "I've got no idea so I'll piggyback the gradually rising market".

If the majority of people out there think like that (as you seem to) then making money from you guys is going to be so, so easy.

Sorry if that sounds arrogant but you're fish in a barrel thinking like that.

Think of it this way - someone trades the asx200, buys the index with a very small fee, and hopes for the best. By buying 160 odd shares I am creating my own index.

Wouldn't you like that? To have your own index?
The Duritz Index. Maybe you should set up your own ETC or LIC :p

The Duritz Index. Maybe you should set up your own ETC or LIC :p

Hey don't you worry, it's something I could see myself doing in the future, for sure. Serious question: how do I go about it? Setting up my own fund into which people can invest? What qualifications do I need?

I'd need a catchy name, too... ideas so far -

The Duritz Fund (sounds classy)
Duritzcorp
Duritz Holdings

Oh this thing has legs!

Think of it this way - someone trades the asx200, buys the index with a very small fee, and hopes for the best. By buying 160 odd shares I am creating my own index.

Wouldn't you like that? To have your own index?

Not really, I don't have the time or the knowledge to dedicate to it and I really do think over the long term brokerage is going to kill you, death of a thousand cuts. Also, if you change any of your details with computershare you're going to get thousands of letters in the mail, one for every stock you ever owned!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back