How relevant is the Carlton/Collingwood rivalry to our supporters in 2013?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was reading another Carlton forum and i have to say i was a little surprised by some of the statements made by some posters regarding the 'Collingwood Forever' issue.

The feeling there was that the Carlton/Collingwood rivalry was only important to people like Eddie McGuire and that he and others at the club pushed that onto their supporters and through the media. It was inferred the rivalry really didn't mean much to our club anymore.

The point was also made that winning against Collingwood meant no more or no less than winning against any of the other 16 clubs.

If this is a true representation of how our supporters feel then i guess i'm way behind the times and have completely missed the passing of the relevance of the rivalry.

On a personal level beating Collingwood has always has always been more satisfying than beating anyone else. In fact of the 8 Grand Final victories i have witnessed the 3 against Collingwood easily gave me the most joy.

I'm just interested in finding out how the younger generation of Carlton supporters generally feel regarding this matter.

Born 1980 - been a member most of my life save for the years I was living overseas.

I'm sorry but for me it's Essendon* that are our biggest rivals now. When we were at our last peak, the 1990's, it was Essendon who cheated to win a premiership over us. Then we had 1999. I spent much of my 20's overseas but it's been just as hot since I returned home.

The problem that we have with the Collingwood rivalry is that aside from it's rebirth in 2013 due to Malthouse becoming our coach the last time it was at fever pitch was early in my childhood. We spent the better part of two decades whacking them. We even spoiled their centenary celebrations on a short rest. We even managed to sneak a win (or more) when we were at the depths of despair (when I was overseas).

Before this year the biggest moment with our Collingwood rivalry over the past half decade or more was in Judd winning the Brownlow and Eddie McGuire blowing a gasket which lends credibility to the "it's only important to the likes of McGuire" line.

The rivalry means more to the old timers who enjoyed watching the grand final victories. These things are great to watch on VHS or DVD but unless you were there and lived it, which my generation weren't, you can't really compare it to the Essendon rivalry.

The rivalry that I'm enjoying, more so than the Essendon one, is the Richmond rivalry that was also reborn this year. Beating them in the final was almost as sweet as the '99 prelim.

Maybe you are right that these days you would say you had to live it to feel that strongly about it, i have lived through the intense rivalries with Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon. For me it will always be Collingwood first, then Richmond, then Essendon.(My real hatred for Essendon started when they allowed Collingwood to win the Grand Final in 1990)

For me the events of the 1973 Grand Final against Richmond are etched into my memory and i have always wanted us to smash Richmond every time we have played them since. Never felt sorry for Richmond in all their years of abject misery since 1980, they deserved to be there lol.

Whilst 1993 was painful i think the fact we lost had more to do with not having a great bottom few players in that team that day. I was never confident taking players like Sholl, Heaver, Athorn, Powell and Welsh into a Grand Final. Tom Alvin was also at the end of the road and having Mil Hanna knocked out by Wallis didn't help either.

I certainly agree the 99 prelim was pretty special, for me outside the premierships it was the finals victory i most enjoyed, it was very sweet and as you said this year's Elimination Final victory over Richmond was almost as sweet.

Thanks for the reply, as i said i'm just curious to see how different people of different ages view it.

This is what makes our game so great compared to the pommy imported games of soccer and rugby league. We have 100 plus year rivalries that soccer and rugyb legau can only dream of and all of these rivalries are important in different ways.

Rugby league - souths vs st george? doesn't quite have the same ring to it. St George have merged to form a new team anyway, and souths have had many years of living in the wilderness.

Soccer- Victory (a moniker they stole from footy with the Big V) vs the Heart (a scottish? named team)is only 3 years old? and is based on a non-contact sport in which draws are a 1/3 likely outcome/penalty shots etc..silly sport which relies on "crowd antics" for entertainment.

I think all of the rivalries are important - but let's not forget that Hawthorn is THE team of the last 50 years. It would give me more joy to knock off Hawthorn next year than Collingwood, Essendon or Richmond. I also don't like North Melbourne either.

Still feel the significance of beating Collingwood well and truly but I have to say I can't stand losing to Essendon. I don't mind the club not elevating one win over another, the rivalry and hype is more a thing for the fans. Can't have us running out and having a crack against Collingwood one week and giving 95% against North Melbourne the next sort of thing.

I was reading another Carlton forum and i have to say i was a little surprised by some of the statements made by some posters regarding the 'Collingwood Forever' issue.

The feeling there was that the Carlton/Collingwood rivalry was only important to people like Eddie McGuire and that he and others at the club pushed that onto their supporters and through the media. It was inferred the rivalry really didn't mean much to our club anymore.

The point was also made that winning against Collingwood meant no more or no less than winning against any of the other 16 clubs.

If this is a true representation of how our supporters feel then i guess i'm way behind the times and have completely missed the passing of the relevance of the rivalry.

On a personal level beating Collingwood has always has always been more satisfying than beating anyone else. In fact of the 8 Grand Final victories i have witnessed the 3 against Collingwood easily gave me the most joy.

I'm just interested in finding out how the younger generation of Carlton supporters generally feel regarding this matter.

Jeez gab your a bit old to be a rookie aren't you?

For mine it'll always be Collingwood with Essendon a very close second. My Essendon hatred is more to do with Sheedy than the EFC and has now been transferred to Hird.

As for Eddie being the main catalyst you may need to take Sticks view into consideration as well.

Born 1980 - been a member most of my life save for the years I was living overseas.

I'm sorry but for me it's Essendon* that are our biggest rivals now. When we were at our last peak, the 1990's, it was Essendon who cheated to win a premiership over us. Then we had 1999. I spent much of my 20's overseas but it's been just as hot since I returned home.

The problem that we have with the Collingwood rivalry is that aside from it's rebirth in 2013 due to Malthouse becoming our coach the last time it was at fever pitch was early in my childhood. We spent the better part of two decades whacking them. We even spoiled their centenary celebrations on a short rest. We even managed to sneak a win (or more) when we were at the depths of despair (when I was overseas).

Before this year the biggest moment with our Collingwood rivalry over the past half decade or more was in Judd winning the Brownlow and Eddie McGuire blowing a gasket which lends credibility to the "it's only important to the likes of McGuire" line.

The rivalry means more to the old timers who enjoyed watching the grand final victories. These things are great to watch on VHS or DVD but unless you were there and lived it, which my generation weren't, you can't really compare it to the Essendon rivalry.

The rivalry that I'm enjoying, more so than the Essendon one, is the Richmond rivalry that was also reborn this year. Beating them in the final was almost as sweet as the '99 prelim.

Yep agree 100% on the scum rivalry, beating the filth is always fun, and the look on McChins face is always priceless, but the destain and hatred I have for the scum, will never see any other club get close to.
I hope I've made myself clear.

What Wickzki said...

Losing to the red and black takes years off my life...love beating Cwood, but even St Kilda pip them in my eyes...

We badly need to beat the premiers as well...and just one observation, I dunno if we could have had such an entertaining and ultimately, good-natured banter-thread (like the Richmond one) with the Pies/Arse/Aints/Hawks/Norf...

Collingwood will always remain our "official" biggest rival, but in many ways we have little reason to hate them. We have owned them in big games for decades, and while beating them always assures you that everything is right with the world, dominance doesn't really elicit hatred.

Essendon, on the other hand, beat us in a relatively recent GF and that will sting (despite '99) until we return the favour. We have genuine reason to hate them as they have inflicted big game pain on us (as have Richmond) in the modern era, while Collingwood have not.

I was born in '82 and - don't get me wrong - I loathe Collingwood, but Essendon is the club that we really "owe one" to, not the 'Pies. The fact that Essendon is equal on flags adds a fair bit to it also.

The rivalry is still very important, but not as big as the one with the Scum.
The only reason we're not outright no.1 with 17 flags is because they cheated us out of one.
The Filth on the other hand like nothing more than being our bitches on the last Saturday in September.

The above sentiment may change if the unthinkable happens and the Filth draw level on 16 before we can land #17.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate Essendon the most,

Collingwood mean nothing to us, we have beaten them in 5 out of 6 grand finals....we may be their biggest rivals, but for me it's definately Essendon,

Essendon* has my vote also - I can't stand the vermin.

Collingwood I like to beat also, but lately I've taken more of a hatred to teams that while I've grown up we've endured terrible beatings from such as St. Kilda and Hawthorn.

1. Essendon* (I doubt this will change)
2. St Kilda
3. Hawthorn
4. Collingwood

Still Collingwood for me, and you watch it reach fever pitch if they draw even on 16 flags. The Essendon one is based on the last couple of decades which is long enough to have a primary rivalry, but I reckon people underestimate the geographic and historic origins of the Collingwood rivalry in the 1800s, particularly with the haves and have nots.

The younger generation have obviously taken hold in terms of right now, which is as it should be. Just wait until the Pies beat us in a GF or get a run of good fortune against us ... a whole world of history will resurface.

Different people have different weightings but surely our main rivals will always be Essendon*, Collingwood and Richmond. .. You could tac on Hawthorn but that is still in its infancy compared to the other three. ..

Hoping that now that the Tiggers are potential finalists, we can start on the long journey of balancing out their dominant finals record over us. ..

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/teams/carlton/overall_wl.html#4

Mind you, beating Hawthorn would be a highlight for me, if it were to finally happen next year. ..

Not that relevant. Bombers are our biggest rival IMO.
My hatred of Collingwood isn't very genuine, if I'm being perfectly honest.

I reckon that anyone born post 75 would find essendon to be our biggest rival.
Bullshit (no offense :p). I'm 21 and I hate the pies more than any other team. The bombers and swans are not too far behind.

Any year we don't win the premiership can be positive if we've beaten those clowns.

It saddens me that the traditional rivalry and hatred for the pies appears to be diminishing with the rest of my generation :(

Essendon - filthy arrogant scum. Hawthorn a close second - chest puffing aspirational Pox Hill poseurs and they have owned Carlton for a decade.

Collingwood and Richmond I don't have a problem with as Clubs - lots of mates who support these two.
Clearly you aren't looking hard enough. Where to even begin with that club!

In the words of Allen Jakovich:

Most supporters are pretty ok but there is definitely something wrong with Collingwood supporters they're just not normal people

So I reserve my contempt for bandwagon Hawthorn supporters who came out of the woodwork after 15 years, sanctimonious Essendon* supporters and morons from WA with their manufactured Eagles culture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back